100% Somerset Dam info needed please.

Bluevien

I must have rocks in my head but I promised I'd take the family to Somerset on Easter Monday (insert 1st rock here) for some tubing and maybe some fishing.

Have never been and was wondering if anyone has been there since all the rain. Thinking of using The Spit's boat ramp and trying to get there early before the crowds (insert more rocks). And here is the kicker... the mother-in-law will be with us (insert big fricken boulder here now!!).

My questions is - with the level at full is there plenty of places to pull the boat up to shore to embark and disembark tube riders? By the looks of the map, as you enter the spit there is a road that peels off to the right and has a car park at the end which is close to an area open to boats. The idea is to use that area as the picninc area with the boat pulled up close. Does this sound right and do-able? Any info would be appreciated and I thank you all in advance.

And btw, I don't need any mother-in-law advise as she can't swim and I will pretend I won't know the sign for SLOW DOWN. :woohoo:

as you enter the gates, you will go past a ring road with the rangers office there on your left, go past that about 40 mtrs and there is a little access road on your right, go down and to the left bout 60- 100 mtrs and pitch a tarp there you will be able to launch the boat off the trailer and also do pick up's and drop off's there with the suspects behind the boat, but observe the way others go around the yellow floats as there is a certain way to go around them, if unsure just ask some 1 there, they will only be to happy to show you what the go is !

rob

jpesch wrote:

Hey mate, just a tip dont forget your permit from the shop that sells fuel on the way in, I've been told they are starting to really crack down on it.

yeah,I've sussed it out, apparently the ranger will be there early and selling the permits.

the left side of the spit .

the boat ramp side is rocky ,harder ground i reckon .

the better side for 2wd i reckon.

the right side has some soft spots ,more form to many cars .

they tend to chew it up a bit .

i have seen cars bogged on the right side of the spit ,but the had ski boats on .

bit more heavy than a tinny .

also i think it had a lot to do with the driver ,that's why they got bogged .

Prevention is easier than a cure, so it might be time to drag out a good excuse.

The weather is looking shocking for Monday, rain and it was already pretty bad before that. Place will be up to our ankles in mud soaking wet and cold. Probably pretty dangerous drive there and back with all the crazy holiday makers trying to race back home on wet slippery roads.

It might be better if we do something fun a bit closer to home, how about ........ insert first choice here or second choice. Always give options :P

:woohoo: living the rock free lifestyle since 1992 :woohoo:

:laugh:

waldo wrote:

Prevention is easier than a cure, so it might be time to drag out a good excuse.

The weather is looking shocking for Monday, rain and it was already pretty bad before that. Place will be up to our ankles in mud soaking wet and cold. Probably pretty dangerous drive there and back with all the crazy holiday makers trying to race back home on wet slippery roads.

It might be better if we do something fun a bit closer to home, how about ........ insert first choice here or second choice. Always give options :P

:woohoo: living the rock free lifestyle since 1992 :woohoo:

:laugh:

hahaha. Insert sleeping in, drinking, eating, more drinking and then another sleep to avoid the Outlaws.

Freshy2Fish wrote:

Kirkleigh is expecting 3000 people and is close to being booked out, so I suggest getting to the spit as early as possible, Rangers will be working both on the water and around the dam monitoring land around and access via properties so stick to the Rec areas.

Yeah, figured it would be chockers so planning to get there by 7am. Hope that's early enuff.

Archived