tuesday night solo session

wesfish

a decision to do a last minute solo mission paid off again . first live mullet down and the jig out fit which consist of a 8ft 15-24kg live fibre with an omoto v-10 lever drag o/h reel small but mighty lol spooled with about 150 mtrs of 80lb braid. did not take long and the mullet was smashed and the reel started running. quickly set the drag to the first point. the fish put on a couple of good efforts to run but no more then 10 mtrs before the power of the rod turned it with ease !! over kill yes !!! but any ways landed a nice thready of 1mtr+ as i brought him in the boat i could hear his air bladder was punctured slowly hissing! so i quickly set the camera on timer , removed the hook , pressed the button with a quick smile and guess were i was in the frame! as soon as the flash went i quickly speared the thready over the side to watch it hammer away still full of energy and no expanded air bladder!

i reset with another mullet and ten minutes later i was on again. a short battle with the odd run had another thready of similar size boatside, but on its last finale dash i pulled the hook! oh well 1 from 2 aint bad

called it a night at 8:30pm and headed home since its a work night still lol 105_1315_800x600.jpg

post-4300-144598521709_thumb.jpg

HaHa that spot you got is a cracker.Nice size fish too mate. 80lb line WTF :ohmy: whats the go with that.I suppose I can see why your wearing a gimble considering your using 80lb I take it you have the drag set on real man setting :laugh: :laugh: so you can start landing some of these unstopables. Am I correct?

the air bladder was releasing air cause it was punctured? was It gut hooked?

Good to see some threadies being chucked back well done wes!! :)

mick

Nice fish Wes congratulations on the release.

It seems there are a lot more golds than silvers turning up in the larger sizes lately I have noticed.

If you are interested in tagging any, happy to set you up, been a while since you have tagged any fish lol

Do$tylz wrote:

that's a good nights fishing to be done by 8:30 and have that.

.. and is that a gimbal bel or are you happy to see the fish?? :P

:laugh: :laugh: just happy mate !! nah i need the gimbal on 80lb and heavy drag haha and i thought i might hook something like the other session, just being ready !!

elops wrote:

It seems there are a lot more golds than silvers turning up in the larger sizes lately I have noticed.

If you are interested in tagging any, happy to set you up, been a while since you have tagged any fish lol

yeah mate way to long since i put a tag away, i will be releasing all the threadies from now on! just spear tags for the threadies? will have to make a dropper for the release or i can get a hyperdermic needle and tap to try a air release that way. need to make a sling that hangs over the side so i can keep them in the water it will need a brag mat attached for rough measurement!

smitty wrote:

Did the swim bladder explode from being hauled up that quickly on the 80lb line! Were you expecting a big shark to have that harness on mate, thats intense.
it was a slight gut hook , but very easy removal of the hook with my hand! nah not shark , last friday night i hooked a fish of a lifetime but i had nothing with 30lb braid, so since this has happened a fair few times i decided 80lb and some heavy drag to give me a chance against some of the unstoppables!

Hey Wes,

I met you at the ramp Monday night and you have done it again!

Great to see! I have struggled land based but you seem to have it sussed.

Tuesday night I met a bloke from this website whom caught the 7 foot hammerhead before the BRC, He caught a nice threadie on tuesday as well. not sure who he is yet.

I so need to get myself a boat!

see you out there.

tight lines :cheer:

wesfish wrote:

elops wrote:

yeah mate way to long since i put a tag away, i will be releasing all the threadies from now on! just spear tags for the threadies? will have to make a dropper for the release or i can get a hyperdermic needle and tap to try a air release that way. need to make a sling that hangs over the side so i can keep them in the water it will need a brag mat attached for rough measurement!

Spear/dart tags for the bigger ones, have been using anchors on -65cm

Shotline release definately the go, survival rate of needled fish very poor

Have been using hand jaw hold and rolling them upside down then comfort lifting the big girls. Little ones in big environet. Most of them lay pretty quiet on the mat on the deck if you cover the head with a wet rag, but had a couple that wouldn't.

I will leave an applicator and some tags with Tri if you like?

Archived