1st Time Redclaw Trapping

Yoodles82

Guys, after all the talk of somerset redclaw I finally got out to have a go.

Thanks to all the tips and tricks from the recent somerset campers :-)

I managed to get 50+ from 2checks and they were delicious!

Took me a while to work up the courage to pick some up:

P7110864.JPG

A few of the bigger ones:

P7110874.JPG

Delicious:

P7110876.JPG

P7110881.JPG

Joel Eadie wrote:

nice work :) any fish?

Nah, no fish...but really i only fished for an hour.

Did see something following my scorpion lure in but couldn't find him again.

Too hard to find fish when you don't have a sounder :-)

It was pretty funny tho, it was just me and my flatmate....so two girls headin out in a banged up tinny...we got some strange looks :P

Cheers

Nat

top effort on your first go yoodles, when you find the pots with none in we always moved them and you learn the habits along with the locations the crayfish were in. will be looking at going up there in september myself and will post before in the going fishing section and also in the AFO wanderers group, so all will be welcome to come along to have a go at the crayfish while we are camping up there at somerset

mark

Well we tried a couple of methods:

Stirfried whole with oil and garlic...but the flavour didn't quite penetrate the shell.

So we cut them in half and added garlic, butter, and salt and grilled them...they were bloody good!!!

Next catch we wanna try chilli redclaw (like chilli crab)...or maybe asian style with a bit of ginger, lemongrass etc.

Either way, they'll be tasty :-)

Cheers

nat

Yoodles82 wrote:

Stirfried whole with oil and garlic...but the flavour didn't quite penetrate the shell.

So we cut them in half and added garlic, butter, and salt and grilled them...they were bloody good!!!

Next catch we wanna try chilli redclaw (like chilli crab)...or maybe asian style with a bit of ginger, lemongrass etc.

Cheers

nat

Y u m m y!!! Sharing is Caring! Hey Yoodles, not sure if you have seen Rayke1938's redclaw trap tips... its in a post sometime earlier this year i think. Just search for Reclaw trap. Could be very handy!

Cheers

ty

taib wrote:

Y u m m y!!! Sharing is Caring! Hey Yoodles, not sure if you have seen Rayke1938's redclaw trap tips... its in a post sometime earlier this year i think. Just search for Reclaw trap. Could be very handy!

Cheers

ty

Cheers ty, yeah i've studied ray's methods well...i'm liking the tuppaware baits - keeps the boat clean!

Will have to implement a few changes to perfect the method i think :-)

nice going on the redclaw Yoodles

i have to agree with travis .

fishing what fishing ...............redclaw to easy .

have cooked ours in :

lemon ,garlic ,butter .

Soya sauce and mixed herbs

lemon ,oyster sauce and black pepper.

plain boiled and peeled then reheated and the dipped in thousand island dressing ,while still hot .

cut in half and added garlic, butter, and salt and grilled them.............sounds good will have to try it .

maybe some cheese melted on top ..............drools

two girls headin out in a banged up tinny.................be a good site i reckon ...........something better to look at than stinky looking fisher and redclaw men .

no offence meant to us stink fisherman but i would rather look at the mountains that us ;)

oh fogot too add .

up the dam we use fresh lemons off the tree ,not the bottle stuff .

kids exploreing found a leamon tree ,good kids .

I cook them in the following manner most often

I half cook them in salted boiling water

Remove head and cut them down the middle of the tail and devien them.

crush and dice 4 to 5 Garlic cloves

Roughly cut a good knob of Ginger and crush it under the knife.

2 star anise

a few white sugar rocks

a cap full of rice wine

Heat the oil in a wok and sauté the ginger, garlic and star anise

add the prepared tails and stir fry as you add a good salty soy sauce to taste.

I like to leave some of the red claw insides to give taste.

I make sure I do not over cook them.

I serve on a light salad but I can not get the kids to eat it :P

you can add a few asian chillies roughly chopped to taste as well added with the garlic and ginger.

This is mine Cheers Ted

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Guys,

I got another craving for redclaw last week, so i put some traps in saturday night at somerset.

We didnt get too many from 11 traps, but enough for lunch.

Tried a chilli crab recipe, and oh did it come up a treat!

P9260089.JPG

Got the recipe below - substitute crab with redclaw:

INGREDIENTS

2 (1kg) large fresh mud-crabs, place in freezer 15 minutes before cleaning (this puts the crab to sleep)

1 cup cornflour

1-2 cups oil for frying

3-4 long red chillies, roughly chopped

3-4 dried small red chillies (can use fresh bird’s eye chillies)

2 teaspoons shrimp paste

1 stalk lemongrass, sliced thinly

10 red shallots, sliced thinly

5-6 cloves garlic, sliced thinly

3-4 cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated

3/4 cup to 1 cup chicken stock

1/3 cup tomato sauce

2 teaspoons sugar

2-3 green onions, sliced thinly

½ cup fresh coriander, picked and roughly chopped

2 limes, juiced

METHOD

Remove head (top shell) from crab. Remove gills, internal organs and rinse clean. Use only as much water as you have to (you don’t want to wash away any flavour from the meat).

Cut the crab body into 3-4 pieces, cutting between legs and claws (leave legs and claws attached to the body pieces). Crack the claws using the back of a large knife, a pestle or a meat mallet.

In a large tray or large bowl, dust crab pieces in cornflour.

Heat oil in wok, add crab pieces, and fry until shell is beginning to turn bright red. Set aside.

Meanwhile, using a mortar and pestle; work chillies, shrimp paste, lemongrass and galangal to a paste. Set aside.

Depending on the size of your pan or wok, it may be easier to complete recipe in batches.

In a large flat pan or using a wok; heat oil, add shallots, garlic and ginger. Cook 2-3 minutes or until soft.

Add chilli/shrimp paste combination and cook further 1-2 minutes (until fragrant).

Add crab pieces toss to coat in paste.

Add chicken stock, tomato sauce and sugar, stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook 7-8 minutes. Flesh should be tender and only just cooked through. If needed adjust consistency of the sauce, with a little water or stock.

Remove cover, add green onions and coriander and lime juice.

Serve immediately.

Yoodles82 wrote:

Cheers

nat

This is what i am most keen on. I think that the chilli crab recipe would go well with the redclaw.

Archived