Pinkenba Shark

pepe66

I caught a small (3ft) shark at Pinkenba on the weekend and couldn't work out what sort it was.

It has got a couple of whiskers and sandpaper like teeth. It was brown in colour on top and pale whitish underneath. There were no mottles or other marks on the body and there were also no lumps on its head like a Port Jackson. There are 2 dorsal fins and its head was quite wide.

I have been to a couple of websites but nothing looked similar. It certainly didn't have a typical shark shaped head like a bull shark it was like a wobbygong shape.

I am trying to work out how to get a photo from my phone as I didn't have my camera.

God dammit. I know exactly the shark you mean they come out of teh bay all the time.

This is the closest thing i can find in the Australian Shakrs guide but i dont think its it. This is so annoying not being bale to find a picture of such a common shark.

Tim caught one at Bribie recently. In fact its in his display picture.

People call them gummies all the time which they are certainly not. In fact if you look up what gummy sharks look like they dont even look remotely similar. I dont know why people started calling them that.

Japanese Bullhead Shark. [img size=200]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/JapaneseBullheadShark.jpg

post-63-144598413466_thumb.jpg

Yeah I looked all over and could find no info on it.

The closest I could find was like Ellicat said a \"blind shark\". I also called it a gummy shark at first until I did a bit more research.

We ate it anyway but it certainly wasn't the best shark I have eaten. The kids enjoyed the whole no bone thing though

Yeah i cant work out why i cant find a picture. They are certainly not rare.

I have also heard them called Catsharks, Sand Nurse Sharks and a few other things.

Timbo if you read this mate can you post your Avatar picture to so we can confirm its what i am thinking of.

Cheers.

Angus

TerryH wrote:

On the contrary, I thought we were a bit too far south for Threadfin Salmon?

I think the threadies have just made a comeback.

There's two types of threadfin in Qld. Blue and King. The blue's are the ones that come south. The Kings stay north. The difference is the number of whiskers (filaments). The blues have 4 the kings have 5. I think the ones that have been caught by the AFO members are blues. (Even though they are quite gold in colour).

Don't mean to sound like a smartass, just didn't know how else to put it.

Cheers.

Wrong ellicat. The species in SEQ are King Threadfin Salmon. Blue Salmon can get bigger then King Threadfin but only over seas. Blue Salmon are much smaller then King Threadys in Australia reaching a maximum of around 4kg whereas King Threadfin can reach around 16-17kg.

Also Blue Salmon don't get the goldish yellow tint like King Threadfin do. I think the number of filaments is crap. We have caught Threadfin with either 4 or 5 filaments on both sides. Some even have 4 on one side and 5 on the other so you can definately rule that aspect out.

Brisbane River Threadfin don't cruise the flats like they do up north either which is different. They are found in deep holes and around sharp drop offs almost like Squire.

Maybe we have a completely different species of Threadfin in the River :S .

Troy

blue_mako wrote:

Awesome, by that book I now hold the King Threadfin World record :cheer: :) .

Troy

i'll fight ya for it troy:P

if you look at the pictures of the threadies yoi'll fid the easiest way to tell them appart is the length of the thread fins. kings have long fine threads while blues have much shorter thicker ones

• 1 month later...

Archived