THANK YOU MACKMAULER!!!!!!!

Jordan

well guys, after alot of pleading, and stuffing around, managed to get work off and my driving lessons off to spend 2 days on the water with mackmauler. far out it was the best fishing trip of my life.

set of from Cleveland boat ramp, and continued along past peel island, where from peel island to past amity point, there was non stop busting up of longtails. I was like an out of control fox terrier going nuts on the bow at everything I saw, poor rob... I was pleading with him to let us stop and have a chop at the fish, but he knew we would have no luck, and he also knew what waited for us out in the bay...

started trolling out in the open water at about 2 pm. I wasn’t hopeful, all this water, what are the chances we just so happen to drag one past one of the fish? after about a minute and a half one of the TLD's started screaming out of control!! holy shit!! i swore over and over repeatedly looking for my video camera, just as the second rod went crazy as well. 'shit shit shit what do i do?\" i tried to pick it up out of the rod holder but it was so difficult. finally after a short but very very fierce fight on 50lb line, two mack tunas were landed. \"YOU BEAUTY!!!!!!\" (starting to over use that phrase now) my first ever tuna. i looked like an idiot in the boat going nuts over such a common tuna, but i was one happy fisho. in about half an hour, we managed to get another 4 mack tunas and a yellow fin each. the colour on those fish is absolutely incredible, felt so bad that I was keeping them...

we went out to some reef after getting some slimies and yakkas for some dolphin fish. unfortunately we only stayed there for about half an hour, as rob got bored of it pretty quickly and was ready to move on to bigger fish. I was absolutely stunned though. as soon as the livey hit the water, the area became alive with dolphin fish. only small ones, but they were every where, chasing the livey around the boat. we landed 3 between us, when i decided to beat troy at his own game. rigged up a potato seed minow fish grup with a tail thing and threw it out with the heaviest jig head i had, and before long... bang!!! a dolphin fish in the boat caught on a plastic.

we moved on to catch some bigger fish, far out was i in for the biggest workout of my life... dropped some livies down, and in moments, we were on. got snapped off a couple of times before rob began gaining some line on a giant fish. after a very long and straining fight, a 40kg, yes i said 40 kg cod was landed. unfortunatley the pressure killed the fish and it was thrown back as shark food, there was nothing we could do, it was just unlucky by catch. we punctured the swim bladder but it didn’t manage to live.

after that it was my turn to bring a fish in. again, after a few moments my line began to scream like mad. after almost giving up several times, a 13 kg amberjack was landed. what a beeeeast. i was so stoked. after a few pictures it was thrown back, it had no troubles finding the bottom again. went after some snapper and pearlies, managing to land a few each before our night was cut short by me getting spiked by a scorpian fish :pinch: painful painful stupid mistake.

after sleeping the pain off we went out again early in the morning for some more pearlies but diddnt get any, so we went off to the shelf for some bigger fish. unfortunately we wernt out there for long, as the motor started making some funny noises and we headed back, accompanied by a pod of playful dolphins at the bow of the boat, wait till you see the video, it was incredible. managed to get a skipjack tuna before we got back in, and another skipjack and mack inside the bay. on our last troll, rob lost a good 20 kg+ wahoo (possibly due to my dodgy boat driving skills :angry:)

just to prove i hadn’t missed any action on the longtails, we chased them for about an hour and a half with no success before we got back into the ramp.

all in all, it was an incredible trip that I certainly wont ever forget. will post some of the pics when i get back from work.

THANK YOU ROB!!! (MACKMAULER)

Jordan wrote:

unfortunately we wernt out there for long, as the motor started making some funny noises and we headed back,

(MACKMAULER)

Sounds like a great trip!

One of the hazards of taking a small boat out deep, you could have been in a bit of bother! But if your willing to take a few risks the rewards are excellent. (Mind you rescue services might not see it that way :pinch: if they have to come get you. )

You did good jordan, expected some berley any minute as we got into the night session,half the battle of offshore fishing is handling the rough with the smooth, looks like you got a good taste of it.

rescue dont discrimate with size feral, the oc is built to a higher standard than any known survey requirement with all the goodies onboard. so dont get any ideas about taking your 3m dingies out kids. as it was we only had air in the fuel line after tank swapping, the dolfins were making it too dangerous to fish, we were under attack all round.

haha what a day, karma to you every time it reloads rob, i had such a ball, and you really looked after me and put up with my whining haha. lol yea i was making the most of the workout and eating as much protein as i could that night, my arms were stuffed. was such a sad excuse at work today, i was useless haha. getting the fish monger there to get stuck into them tomorrow morning. even though the dolphins ruined the fishing, they made a great video. unfortunatley diddnt get a video of the bigger stuff because my brother clogged the memory with computer game crap and i diddnt realise what was wrong till the end of the trip. still managed to get some good footage though.

The longtails in the south bay are educated dom, on top of that I didnt have the spin gear.

big cod are not great eating, you would have needed one hell of an esky to fit it. assuming it was a species on the dpi site the size limits are max 1m. it was well over

Archived