bcf any good?

big dave

only just got back into fishing and have just been into BCF. now just wondering if this is just another "bunnings" where they make out they are infact the cheapest but are not. from going in there today i got 0 customer service but they seem to have a heap of gear and just wondering about the prices. i do know that if i go to a smaller tackle shop the service will be awesome but how will the prices reflect on my shopping as i have next to no gear i want to get back into fishing on a budget. now remembering back to the old days i know Kmart was cheap for the basics is this some where i want to check out? where else would you suggest. i live in logan waterford area. cheers

I'm a fisho on a budget........Rod and reel for getting into something new, like beach fishing; Pick up a cheap combo at Kmart, flog it 'til it's dead, or put it in the rack for next time if you don't like the style. Kmart 1/3rd off is a great time to pick up a "once only" combo and stock up on tackle. Once you find a niche you like, upgrade from there by Internet Shopping, good prices dealing with Oz Internet shops, watch out for supposedly fantastic foreign built stuff on Ebay (but some is great gear). Sinkers, basic hooks go to Kmart. Special lures, deals on plastics, local reel bargains, shop around BCF, Amart Allsports, BigW etc. Keep an eye out for the 3 for 2 deals etc. Check yer Aldi weekly flyer for fishing bargains. Keep yer eye on the for sale section here and any heads up on deals in shops. Research the best gear at a good price by asking Qs. Above all don't be in a rush, keep a list of wants and pick 'em up when you see a deal. DON'T shop in CashConvertors, their 2nd hand gear will be cheaper new elsewhere......

I await the abuse! ;)

Hi Big Dave and welcome.

BCF can be a rip off. They get you when you go in for something you can't find anywhere else but then you start grabbing other things you can get cheaper elsewhere just because it's there.

Become a BCF member and check out their member discounts and catalogues, that's when it can be good value.

I get a lot of my lines and lure from Big W or KMart. I save almost $3 per packet of Gulp soft plastics there. They may not have the biggest range but enough to fill my tackle box.

Also keep an eye out here, members often post specials they see around the traps so others can benefit.

Cheers,

Rob

I have stopped going to BCF as i have found my local tackle shop is the same price or sometimes even cheaper and the guys there KNOW what there talking about. The only thing is that they stock only mid to high range gear. I guess becaus of BCF smaller shops have to drop there prices or lose bussiness, I also like to support local bussiness.

I do still check out BCF as sometimes they have special deals on lures.

Big W is another good place to start. I bought a 2-4kg shimano ET spin combo, not a bad rod for the price its a light graphite rod. I went in there the other day and saw they have them for about $90 but they have the same rod by its self for $20 and the reel for $30 :laugh: . They also are the place i get all My Gulp plastics as Bluevien said you can save quite a bit.

I've heard a lot of people using motackle.com. I don't like buying things i can not see, maybe lures but deffinatley not rods and reels (that's just me).

Cheers.

Brad

kmart and big w for the gulps for sure, $7 a packet and if they have discount its even better, big w hard bodies are so cheap with berkley frenzy around 3 bucks and they catch fish. plus kmart open til 9pm every week night!! no crowds at 8:00pm onwards lol bcf in my opinion has the odd deal, when they first opened they had awesome deals but over time the prices have gone up and up. small local tackle shops for service and hints and tips on fishing methods and spots to fish. cash converters here ya go kev :laugh: :laugh: is usually over priced but on rare occasions they have no idea what they have and put crazy cheap prices on em ;)

wesfish wrote:

kmart and big w for the gulps for sure, $7 a packet and if they have discount its even better, big w hard bodies are so cheap with berkley frenzy around 3 bucks and they catch fish. plus kmart open til 9pm every week night!! no crowds at 8:00pm onwards lol bcf in my opinion has the odd deal, when they first opened they had awesome deals but over time the prices have gone up and up. small local tackle shops for service and hints and tips on fishing methods and spots to fish. cash converters here ya go kev :laugh: :laugh: is usually over priced but on rare occasions they have no idea what they have and put crazy cheap prices on em ;)

I second what's been said so far mate. BCF can actually be the most expensive place to shop, even if you're only buying hooks and sinkers etc. K-mart, for instance has mustad hooks almost $2 per pack cheaper than BCF. Also, the gulp plastics as mentioned before.

I shop at smaller independant stores such as tackle warehouse because some of the gear I use isn't available at BCF etc, and I also get a lot of my lures online. I haven't had a drama yet.

My advice mate, keep an eye out on the site in the classifieds section. You'll pick up a used but well loved combo cheap if ya look hard enough, and it should last ya quite a few years

this forum is awesome thanks for all the help. i joined not knowing if it would be any good but this forum has just blown me out of the water cheers for the help its a shame its raining its stopping me from taking my new toy out but i guess its giving me time to stock up on gear i need :)

have noticed BCF prices are on the rise a little. I have noticed lures have gone up so i stoped buying from there and went back to my other stores.there products seam cheap quality aswell. I bought a cast net from bcf and the quality of the net is crap.and I mean crap.A far better qaulity net was purchased at a tackle store.for $12 more

bcf and super cheap are owned by the same company and they will match or beat each other at there own prices.thats why I love shoping at Ipswich riverlink for traier parts cause there pritty much next door to each other.

Big Dave, bringing your "new new new" thread into this one, BCF ain't the cheapest for boating gear either. Try Whitworths Marine. I have found their gear almost always cheaper than BCF and some awesome specials pop on their website from time to time.

I am sure there are other places people could recommend but this is my tip.

shortie wrote:

If you know what your buying BCF can be convenient. If you dont and need advice then BCF isnt the play to shop. Children masquerading and salesmen masquerading and fishoes. Shop elsewhere i say

I agree with Shortie and 90% of everything said but if you need something out of the range of kmart and big w, ie 7 inch gulps and bigger jig heads to suit then BCF is a good place to shop go in get what you want and then out.Over time you will know where to shop for what you need, BCF is cheaper than my local tackleworld store and i pass it on the way home. keep picking up the specials brochure, 20 % off raider rods this month - SWEET.bcf at some point will have 20% off most things.

mate you can not go past the boys at Tackle warehouse for help. They also are great at mending a broken rod tip. There is nothing wrong with the kmart special combos for most people as they will catch fish.

I have bought quite a lot of gear from motakle and I am really happy with their service and prices. I especially buy my bulk gamakatsu hooks from them.

Like every thing if you shop around you can get some great deals at BCF even better if you are a club member they will send you emails with club specials.I shop at the ipswich one a fair bit and got to know the right people like katfish and young tom who go out of there way to help.But I don't just shop there,there are some great tackle shops around bris vegas like charltons at redbank,tackle warehouse coorparoo and mossips at wollongabba.

cheers dassa

wesfish wrote:

ellicat wrote:
Probably stolen by the female staff for their private collection :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh:
oh no just realised its mainly guys working there :blink::huh: :ohmy:

Hahahahaha.smoko room pin up boy :laugh: :laugh: :P ggrrreeeoooww :lol:

theres few nice girls that work at the ipy one always keen for chat and very helpful too.

hey you know how you scan your bcf membership card thingy to go in to a monthly draw to win somthing,does any one ever win it.has any one ever won it?

or is it just a load of "fcb"

wesfish wrote:

ellicat wrote:
Probably stolen by the female staff for their private collection :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: will have to do some new singlet shots and put em up lol

I'm sure a picture of your snapper would be appreciated :woohoo: but never your bag of sinkers :whistle:

katfish wrote:

re dassa, we do try to help. Most of the crew fish & can offer good advice.

I agree with you Katfish. You do need to ask for assistance however the manager at the Keperra store is a avid bass angler and has always given me some great advice.

BCf is not the cheapest store but it is convenient as it close to my house. When I have the time though I really like tackle warehouse as a toy shop. :P

Like most of the major chains they have their "lead" specials. eg the current catalogue has detour shirts for 2 for $30 which is a greaty buy. Conversley they are advertising oper house pots 4 for $25 and normal K mart price is under that.You just have to know your prices and buy accordinaly.

Staffing at my local at Capalaba is mixed bag some of the young blokes cant do enough and have good product knowledge and others a bit ordinary.

Lots of other tackle stores such as Fishhead at Viccy point ( Excellent service and product knowledge)

Tackle warehouse at Coorparoo ( Best range of lures in Bne )Jonseys at Lutwyche,Tackleworld at Sandgate,Northside Marine at Deagon,Tackle shop at Carseldine near the Caltex has new owner who will meet any other stores price and is very supportive to " take a Kid Fishing Day " events and deserves support for this issue alone.

Also I think that you will find AFO members who work at all these places and they will go the extra mile for you once known.

Make a point of wearing your AFO regalia and you will be surprised what a difference it makes.

Cheers

Ray

Archived