Frankenfish!

Yoodles82

241275_monster_salmon.jpg

So it appears they are thinking of growing this genetically modified salmon as a commercial food source.

Story here:
/>http://www.news.com.au/technology/we-can-build-whatever-animal-you-want-to-eat-say-scientists/story-e6frfro0-1225927239022?area=technology

For commercial purposes i can see the advantages....but you might want to think twice before introducing this species into the environment. It might eat its way around the place!

For you thoughts...

i'm all for it, if the operations looked after well.

it says the modified salmon would be majority sterile females and confined in enclosures, wouldn't want them mixing with the wild ones but it's a good answer to finding new food supplies imo

as a side note, the pictured fish is a dead wild chinook salmon and has nothing to do with genetic engineering or the article in question, and the company involved isn't trying to make a new franken fish, they've managed to stimulate growth hormone production so the fish grow faster

interesting news article. Whether we like or not with a exploding world population we are going to have to look at this sort of things to feed us. Our population in my lifetime has gone from around 2 billion i think to around 7 billion today. The natural environment can not support this in the long term in my opinion. We already eat biogen crops in processed foods especially corn and soybean extracts.

I am in two minds regarding this however this is a place i think we will need to go. Farming practices still have room for improvement around the world but I do not think in the long term they will be able to keep up without serious population control.

With regard to the salmon with the extra growth hormone throughout the year. I do not think this species would be persistent in the environment. There is a reason why the growth hormone is not produced through the year. There is no point producing GH during times when food is scarce. This will probably mean that they will die or be non persistent in the environment. just my opinion - cheers Ted

Think this is all a g up!!! http://buffalopost.net/?p=9762 Found the same pic in another article.

Prior to spawning, depending on the species, salmon undergo changes. They may grow a hump, develop canine teeth, develop a kype (a pronounced curvature of the jaws in male salmon). All will change from the silvery blue of a fresh run fish from the sea to a darker color. The fish in the picture is big but the strange appearance is natural, more scare tactics from the media!!

"Genetic engineering is already widely used for crops, but the US government until now has not considered allowing the consumption of modified animals."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't think there are any cattle, sheep, dogs, horses etc left in the World that aren't genetically modified. What a crock of a statement.

Every apple you eat is genetically modified along with heaps of other fruit and veges.

Jeez some of the comments on that page are ridiculous. Someone's scared of their children becoming 10' tall from this hormone :huh: People should have at least some small knowledge on this process before commenting. How you can absorb a base sequence/gene, have it replicate within your cells, and be utilised to form a functional hormone is any ones guess.

I'm all for it. We're an overpopulating species in dire need of a consistent food source. And certain religious views should have no bearing on this progress in my opinion.

And I, for one, welcome our new Salmon overlords :laugh:

Chinooks and most salmon are always ugly when they age. Chances are the GM fish aren't going to be reared to the size of the chinook in the photo as it would be less efficient. More likely they'll just grow quicker to pan-size (ie less than 2') before being harvested.

Personally there's a bigger environmental concern than an ethical one - say on the slight chance of establishing wild populations despite the sterilizing.

Cowfish13 wrote:

Jeez some of the comments on that page are ridiculous. Someone's scared of their children becoming 10' tall from this hormone :huh: People should have at least some small knowledge on this process before commenting. How you can absorb a base sequence/gene, have it replicate within your cells, and be utilised to form a functional hormone is any ones guess.

I'm all for it. We're an overpopulating species in dire need of a consistent food source. And certain religious views should have no bearing on this progress in my opinion.

Well he does have a jaw like the fish :laugh: gene technology also covers the eradication of fish such as the ability to switch of breeding genes in pests such as the Eurpoean Carp, Cane Toads . We have been genetically midoifying food for hundreds of years using microbes as in Yoghurts breads Alcolhol this is just an advancement of these its going to happen and it has to happen B):unsure:

But does it use same amount of resources per Kg yield as a normal fish.

Its really quite grotesque.

@$34.00 a Kg I doubt any of this salmon will be on any third world plates.

It seems all they have managed to do is grow a grotesquely deformed fish that will grow quicker and make more money at Woolworths deli counter.

This is not a solution to food shortage, it is a mockery of it.

cheers

That is one ugly looking pair in the photo!!! I don't buy into arguments such as this, as there are pros and cons to both sides. Ellicat is right however, this has been happening for a while now, in one shape or form. One thing is for sure, I would never get my pic taken with this fish, I would have nightmares for a month ha ha ha!!!

Archived