Old Mt crosby weir

Gerty_92

Hey went for a little fish the other day at the old mt crosby weir just flicking around an sx40. managed to catch a tiny bass but that was it. water was extremely low. this leads me to my question? is that mt crosby weir area always that low and is it tidal? cus there's some really nice structures there but it just doesn't seem to be deep enough below around them.

eg_vtec wrote:

i thought that weir was a no fishing zone. but to answer your question the water there is not tidal

Def a no fishing zone - you normally find the signs lying in the water or on the bank - there is always someone that finds it funny to knock the signs down but they are there. I have heard a report on here (I think :unsure: ) a while back about the regulations being enforced in that area.

Oh and the waters on the bottom side of that weir are tidal - I think "officially" the tidal waters end at Colleges Crossing but it is definitely tidal to the old weir and does run pretty hard at times through the narrow and shallow areas on the journey from Colleges to the weir. I have also seen the bullies cruising the shallows all the way to the old weir.

Cheers.

the river is tidal to the sml weir.

200 up, & 400m down from the main weir you cannot fish. dont get caught fishing at any time around big weir. there are cameras, & people have been fined $400 for the privilege. they can even confiscate your gear as well. & please dont take that trophy lungy down the local taxidermist. that could cost up

to 60 000 gorillas.

Should be removed and a vertical slot fishway intstalled on the Mt. Crosby Weir. Would open up the whole river to Bass,sea mullet,freshwater mullet and a host of other catadromous and diadromous fish. SEQ Water own the infrastructure Brisbane Valley Anglers manage the Bass fishery, just takes a lot of work to find the funding and people with commitment to see it through.

i wonder if the weir is in place to limit salinity in a vulnerable area? considering the size of the system, without all the dams in place it would be more likely to be more fresh without them- just a thought? I have heard reports of sharks being seen above the weir and the spillway is opened when it floods and there is a lot of debris. the fish ladder is pretty much rubbish from what i've heard- the yanks make good ones for their salmon so the technology is available.

The Brisbane River is roughly formed into three sections.

- The Lower-Brisbane River being the tidal reaches from the mouth upto below Mt Crosby Weir.

-The Mid-Brisbane River is approximately 60 km from Mt Crosby Weir upto Lake Wivenhoe.

-The Upper-Brisbane River is from the top of Lake Wivenhoe at O'Sheas Crossing right up to the headwaters meandering through the Esk Shire up past Linville.

Apart from the lower reaches, access is possible at numerous bridges, culverts and reserves both in the mid & upper reaches of the river. While boating is possible, these two small-water sections of the river is best explored by canoe or kayak. There are many pristine sections of the river that probably haven't changed much since Capt. Logan first explored this great river.

yeah it would be good to see the old weir removed .

there no fish ladder on it .

the way the water flows through the hole in the middle there is no way the fish could get back up.

no sure what a vertical slot fish way is,but at least at the weir there is one of them step fish ladder things on 1 side.

i guess whatever ladder/fish way is at the weir is of little real use till the old weir is remover anyway .

Archived