Lets get together to do some good

blairv

I went down to the River to have a look today - could not believe the amount of crap floating around - really unbelievable!!!

All this stuff needs to go somewhere and since we all fish around the river and the bay my idea is this:

Lets get everyone with a boat and some willing deckies and when all this calms down have a big cleanup around the river and bay. I am thinking we could help get rid of alot of the flatsam and bigger stuff such as logs, pontoons etc.

This is obviously a project for 1-2 months away but if there is interest we'll volunteer our services to the council and state govt and/or port authority to see if we can help out.

Would love to hear thoughts/ideas/volunteers

Thanks

Blair

I'm not in the region (and locked in where I am) so I'm not totally familiar conditions in the bay...I know that the river is no place to be, how would conditions be in the bay as far as collecting stray boats and towing them into somwhere to shore to be stored till their owners can get around to collect them? I guess the logistics would be huge, but they will be a boating/shipping hazard floating around in the bay and larger boats would only be able to participate, and it would be expensive....just throwing it out there as another idea.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing...maybe have a chat to VMR's and look at a co-operative efffort, that way boaties can report in unidentified drums of fuel and chemicals, and any other potential nasties as well as the possibility (unfortunately) of deceased at the same time.....maybe....I dont know...youd definitely have to stay out of the river and its mouth though for safety reasons.

At least if it is a registered group with the Authorities, it might stop some low lifes helping themselves to free boats.

really good idea afo wtg and also have a land based set up for our ppl to meet up at and get things going like writing numbers and that down to hand over cameras as well for photos of boats to go with the paperwork .. i would be happy to help there but im not a boat person so ill be happy to help where i can

This is a great idea and response to the floods. Several AFO admins were at the river today and saw the extreme about of debris and rubbish that is accumulating on the river bank. AFO will formally organise a clean-up day/week when we are given the green light by the authorities. We will post up the date and relevant information when we can. Will have a AFO get together afterwards as well.

Stay tuned.....

we were talking about this today at work while watching crap float down the river behind our work . a few tilt trays to haul boats out and put in a reserve etc so owners can suss out if their boat has been recovered .

a list of rego numbers will identify a lot of boats owners think a missing .

I reckon the ones out in the bay atm will have the guts raped out of them by the scumbags well before anyone can recover them . Very very sad state when someone watches their boat wash away and some lowlife thinks they can take it

Archived