Eating fish caught in the river

Dan23

Hi all,

Came across this sight because I'm planning to start trying a few spots around the Brisbane River. Just wondering what people's opinion is on eating fish they catch. Is it safe? Does the mud and metal content make the fish taste bad?

I base on specie.

For example heaps a migratory, squire, salmon, sharks etc. I eat these no worries no matter where i catch them. If you eat them from anywhere you might as well eat them from the river as chances are they visit it anyway.

Species like cod that are more inclined to live in their holes and not move around maybe im a little more cautious with. However its plainly evident that the river is cleaning up dramatically.

Id say with the serious lack of rain as well clean water from the bay must really be pushing a long way up the river at the moment. as much as i wish it would pour, id say this has been a significant contributor to the amazing fishing season this summer was and looks like this winter will be.

Angus

Sweet, now I'm really pumped to get into some of this action. All this time I've been traveling to northern NSW because I was under the impression that Brisbane was just full of Catfish. I went for a walk today and realised that right at the end of my street is a really old disused boat ramp. Gonna have to find somewhere to get some bait. I have heard of people using prawns from Woolies but I'm weary of doing this because I have heard that they are from overseas and may carry a virus that could wipe out our prawns. Is this true??

Well that definately rules that idea out. I looked it up and the closest place to buy bait seems to be Jone's Tackle on Lutwych road. Guess I'll have to drive out there and buy up 10 packets of bait so I it'll last a while. the Girlfriend won't be real impressed about stinking out the fridge. :)

Dan23, Ive fished the river for years and now work on it daily, The quality of the water is improving all the time, However i agree with angus with chosing your species wisely. I dont suggest eating large cod but the bream,squire, tailor, salmon are all edible. At the moment I see lge schools of tailor at night around the mouth of the river smashing the schools of gar and hardie heads aswell of numourous bream during the day. Just message me for more info anytime....

Dan (freedom)

Yeah it's definately disused. Falling apart and really muddy and slippery. I chucked a few prawns out off it yesterday. got snagged nearly every cast so gave up but did get one pretty decent hit though it also ended up in a snag. Don't think I'll fish there again. Can't afford that much tackle. Tide was running strong too which didn't help. Might be fishable at high tide.

Archived