When Bunyips attack

tomca

IMGP1427.jpg

Went for a run out to Maroon Dam this afternoon with the 6wt fly rod for a crack at some lilypad action. Sadly I was undergunned for them today, and after losing 3, ended up rigging up a spinnerbait on the baitcaster. Always have a Plan B!

A few short strikes and a small bass were all I had after a solid 2 hours casting. Getting bored started playing with the camera :unsure:

IMGP1430.jpg

Around 17.15 the surface action kicked off and I tied on a walk the dog style lure and after a few follows and tentative strikes I refined my technique and in quick succession had 5 legal bass on the board, with a new Maroon PB of 41cm quite an improvement on last years 35cm.

IMGP1441.jpg

With all the weed and lillies around I had the drive out and the rudder up and paddled into a nice little bay and this is where the attack happened.

I was dangling my feet over the side and I heard a bit of scraping on the yak and a bit of a bump.....bit odd, but not concerned. Then it happened, I felt claws on my ankle :ohmy: pulled my feet up and nothing. Moved around to another spot, feet over the side and then it happened again. This time top of my foot. Pulled my feet out and I saw it! A bloody turtle! :blush:

Back to the fishing.....heaps of surface action. A cast tight into a gap in the lillies, let it sit there waiting for the rip[ples to settle and BANG! I'm on. Bit of a tug of war on 10lb and a sphincter tightening lap of a bottle brush tree and I had a 45cm skinny Maroon bass in the net.

Getting dark, headed back all of 100m to the car and home

nice report, only saw your message this morning, helps if my phone was not on silent.

I reckon an overnight bass AFO trip is in order. The camp grounds look pretty good. Any takers?

Hey rob I'm keen on an overnighter just let me know when.

Nice fish tom it's looking pretty good out there after the rain,I almost got you to swing past my place and pick me up when I spoke to you yesterday but I don't think that would of gone down to well after being on the water all day. :evil: :evil:

Norm, the problem was that with the sun up and hot the fish were in tight under the bottle brush trees. As a crazy charlie was cast in close they would smash it on the drop and with a 8'6" rod loading up they had a good metre and a half head start as the rod loads up and rub me off or run zig zag through underwater trees.

Dassa, I think an after work sesh one day soon on a really hot day is on the cards. I'll bring the baby over as a bribe

Norm, the problem was that with the sun up and hot the fish were in tight under the bottle brush trees. As a crazy charlie was cast in close they would smash it on the drop and with a 8'6" rod loading up they had a good metre and a half head start as the rod loads up and rub me off or run zig zag through underwater trees.

Dassa, I think an after work sesh one day soon on a really hot day is on the cards. I'll bring the baby over as a bribe

Ah the bottlebrushes, well I'll give you that. I've been done a few times on the areas in SE part of the dam on popper type flies, which where I guess you were?

Archived