wello point w00p woop

Jordan

hey all, im goin to make a habit of going kayaking every sunday, as fishing sessions are becoming very few and far between for me. got up this mornin at 4 to have a go at wello point again before having to go to work for a couple of hours. got there at about 5.30 and started talking to another kayaker that was as insane as me. once again i got out of the car to feel the cold chill of a 15knot brushing my cheeks. (it felt like 15 knots :silly: ) started trolling at about 6.15 looking for any bird action and followed the other guy. he said he was going ages out but i diddnt know just how far he meant. i bailed at mud island, yes you heard right, we paddled all the way from wello to mud island. thats when the wind picked up (how convinient) so i started to head back, and o lord, even though i was paddling for home, i was still moving backwards past mud. the wind and the waves together were smashing my hardly sea worthy kayak around.

after about 15 minutes of lining myself up with a boat and keeping track of how far i was going past it, i realised i was going practically no where. i jsut wanted to close my eyes and wait for it all to be over. but alas, this was not the case. i paddled and paddled as my poor arms burnt out. as i got closer to the jetty, it got much much calmer, and i ended up doing a lap around the reef outside the wello beackons, as there was a starving african bird that looked like it caught glimpse of a morsal floudering on the surface. this was the most encouroging thing i had seen all day so i paddled over only to hook up on 3 grinners in about 10 minutes. they were fun at least. the last k or so paddling into the ramp was very easy going, and as i looked back onto the bay it was completely flat. o cruel cruel world i thought. i was very tempted to go back out, but had work in a few hours and my arms were completely spent. was still very fun, and on the way up, nova was playing some rediculously good techno, so that was about the highlight of the trip.

whiiiile your reading this i was wondering if there were any tuna catching veterans out there. what times/tides should i be going after them. any other advice would be very much appreciated. also, im thinking next sunday i mite launch (pretending i have a boat) from that boatramp really close to the brissy river mouth. jus out from there is where i have seen the most bust ups, so would i be in with more a chance from there or wello point? just in case anyone is reluctant to sell there secrets i would let them all go, ive kept enough fish. any help would be very much appreciated (and karmed)

sounds like a good little paddle jordan, once im on holidays i will have to come out there with you one time.

i will also second the fact that nova plays there best music very very early on saturday or sunday morning. every time i go to nth pine dam im driving from about 3:30 till 4 and the musik is just awesome. definately the right kinda musik to get you up and going for the day :P

-nelson-

it took me 3 and a half hours there and back, but i think it would have only taken me an hour to get there cause i had the wind and waves behind me, it made me feel like it was going to be an easy paddle all day, i shouldnt have been so stupid as to not realise what it would have been like on the way back. boy did i get some stupid looks from some of the boaters...:blush:

haha yea i got in just as the wind died down, i wanted to go back out sooooo much. i told the boss today, cuase hes a fishing fanatic, and he diddnt know wether to laugh at me or fire me for my stupidity. hes got a 44 foot boat so maybe if i work a few more sundays i mite get a ride one day :woohoo:. some of the old guys told me the tuna moove of in winter? are you saying they actually come into the bribie area (forgot where you said mackmauler ill check it again in a sec) is that spot u said 10k's directly offshore? because even though i was ages away from the ramp, i still kept within 1 or 2 k's of any of the islands, i diddnt want to be too far offshore. anyone else got any tips on where i can get them? going to try paddling to peel this weekend if i can find a companion crazy enough to come with me, as ive seen pleeeeeenty there.

yea kriso mite look into it, but they are pretty expensive, and i generally stay around all the other boaters, im never out by myself in the middle of no where, but im gonna be very nervouse about the crossing to peel island if i do it, it seems like the only place where im sure to see some tuna.

yeah mate i heard there pricey but im a bit of a stiffo when it comes to safety equipment - i look at my motorbike same way cheap helmets are for cheap heads and i dont have one of those. Just a thought anyways but you sound like a smart guy anyways you'll sort it out

Mate if you leave from cleveland light house peel island is only a couple of k's so you should be fine. If not try lining the light house and the red marker up with the left hand side of peel...122 metres from the beacon towards peel you will most probably get onto a few squire...but there are also some reef sharks around there so keeep your legs out of the water:P

Archived