1-3kg rod; 1000 vs 2500 reel?

51MPL

Well title says it all basically.. Just planning out a new combo, rod is sorted with a 1-3kg fast actioned blank but now i need a suitable reel.

I mainly chase trevally/bream/flatties/basic estuary species so should i go another 2500 just incase? Or go for the fun option and a 1000 reel?! :D

Mainly looking at a ci4 1000 stradic atm.. Whats a bang for budget reel?

edit - i got told there is a 20 gram difference between 1000 and 2500? if so it'd be a pretty good sacrifice; 20 grams extra for bigger spool/line capac and more drag?

if it helps at all i fish a 7' rod matched with 2500 stradic FI and 4lb braid

the rod i have the most fun with is a 1-3 kilo phleuger with a 1000 stella with 6 lb braid, and has served me well, it's good reliable, and has provided me with a tonne of fun usin it, caught some decent fish with it too along the way, like the flatty from brunswick, go as light as you can, will be heaps of fun if you wanna have fun, been down the road of big drad pressure and all that, it's easy to just turn the drag washer up a turn or 2, but thinking of fighting a fish when it's fighting for it's life on light gear is a lil more fun, you will get to know the characteristics of the fish species this way far better.

rob.

Go a 1000. No questions.

1000 Ci4 would be sweet.

Personally id grab fishingnuts 1000 Stella he is selling. Already spooled with quality braid and in awesome nick. Beats anything new for the same price...

Angus

yup agree with angus for going the 1000 size. abit late on the stella though because its in my room now :P

Go the 1000 CI4 or if your not worried about the weight have a look at a Caldia, finesse but at the same time plenty of power if needed, my 2000 caldia comes with me off Caloundra chasing reefies.

yeah i have a caldia 2004 on my pflueger ast 1-3kg. so far caught trevs on it. handle 45plus no problems! great fun too

+ 1 for a 1000 reel. Bang for buck, I use Shimano Sienna's. I have 4 of them now.

Completely agree on the Sienna. I bought one for xmas to match a 7' custom rod I have for flicking plastics around and spooled it with 4 pound braid. Haven't had a problem with it and surprised on how well it goes even on the occasional bigger fish.

Thanks for the replies guys, I went for something different and am using a 6' Rod though :)

My last light combo was a 1-3kg 7' Trion with a 1000 regal but never used it much.

FN's Stella would have been awsome but bills/speeding fine/library fine - wtf sigh.

Will probably hold off on the symere offer nhan, thats like 1/3 of the price of a ci4 so i'll just save up a couple weeks and get a ci4 =]

Thanks again everyone!

PS - anyone had experience with frog pe? wasthinking of giving it a go (probably getting orange braid to match rod ::P)

Archived