10k's off Straddie 21/5

dhess

Went out with Rob (Mackmauler) and another mate (Chris) Monday morning.

We left Cleveland and headed out between Moreton and Stradbroke. The bay was super calm and wind free, but as soon as we got out in the open there was a bit of wind and it was a bit sloppy.

We had a few drops over reefs in around 60m of water, first drop and Chris instantly hooked up on something big and powerful (probably amberjack) but got busted off against the reef. I was stretched out on a big eski feeling seasick and sorry for myself.:sick: Meanwhile Rob caught a pearly and a snapper. Chris dropped again and was busted off again. I thought \"F this\" and got up and had a drop and was almost instantly nailed by an AJ. After a tiring fight I got him up. He went around 10kg. Boy was I shagged after that. I had to lay down and revert to my seasick state. Chris managed to pull up a beautiful pearly around the 3kg mark.

Meanwhile it started raining and was generally pretty cold and miserable. We trolled a few lure enroute to another spot with no much action. When we arrived nothing but a bonito caught by Chris on the way up. Had it as sashimi that night. God that was nice.:kiss: A few more drops and nothing so we headed back to the first spot.

A few drops later and in came another pearly and a little snapper. After bringing in the snapper it got a little much for me so I hung my head over the side and berleyed up a bit. Chris had a few drops and after a good fight brought in a samson fish around the 7kg mark. The beley must have worked.:laugh: There was more rain on the way so we called it quits and headed back to the bay. Amazingly the bay was dead flat and glassy with no wind.

We encountered a school of tuna near Peel but could only manage one flick with a slug each. Chris got hit but no hook up.

We eneded up back at Cleveland cold, hungry and very satisfied with a great days fishing.

Thanks again Rob for another amazing trip.

Dom [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/AJ.jpg

post-972-144598415679_thumb.jpg

That was the winter shakedown trip, priority number 1 to double check 3 jumpers go in and a raincoat:laugh:

that puppy looks innocent in that pic dom, i dont think its done the size justice, you really got ya arms ripped on that one:P

wasnt easy fishn conditions and the fish were a bit slow but we got some so lucky for that, that huge perly was such a tease how could there be only 1?

cheers rob

Awesome mate.

Well done AGAIN!!

Amberjack are a great looking fish. I have only ever caught one and it was a lot smaller than that. In m defence though is was land based at point lookout so i was still pretty stoked.

Nice.

Angus

Its miserable being subject to motion sickness. Thank goodness it has never affected me! Bu I have seen plenty of people wishing they would just hurry up and die!

Dhess, it just makes room for more dinner mate! Also it helps even things up if you spew on the feet of any who laugh at you!

Archived