Salt Water Restocking

Brian D

On a different thread Tim left this for me: They do stock saltwater fisheries, there was a large number of whiting and flathead fingerlings released into the Maroochy river a few years ago. Cheers, Tim

Well fire me up why don't you. What has been stocked into the Brissy River and the surrounding Rivers like theAlbert, Logan, Pine and others? Bloody nothing - that's what. Consider who much fish has been taken by both pro's and rec fishers in the last 50 years. Then consider the once \"use the rivers as a free industrial dumping grond\"(now stopped to a certian extent, I believe and what have you got? An empty river, that's what. :evil:

Don't even try and tell me that the fish numbers are the same as years goneby because that's crap.:angry:

We need a SEQ Saltwater Restocking program funded by a licence for rec fishers, a percentage or levy of the pro boats and industry contributions.

And we need it now! Take that to the polls on election year.:P

Thanks Tim:)

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/05/26 06:25

I'm with you Brian. We need to be stocking some bread and butter species, get people targeting those for a feed and recreation, will take some pressure off the other species.

I know they can stock mangrove Jacks, Jew, Flathead, that would do for a start! Dunno If I'd bother with whiting, mullet, there are still plenty of those around, but it would not hurt!

You know what Feral - I would put te whitting and mullet in the rivers like the Logan. Remember last year you went fishng in there, what did you catch, bugger all.

Whitting fishing in the Logan used to be a fun alternative when the winds were up. Now it only fills in time.

Mullet - you can never have enought food supply.

Heh,

I had no intention of getting you this fired up mate, I just wanted to correct your misconception!

I believe there's a QLD Fishing Party at the state level, they've got a vote a couple of times from me :)

I'd love to see some more restocking, I'd prefer it if you didn't give yourself a coronary trying to organise it though ;)

EDIT: For completness, here's the link I posted in teh other thread.

Cheers,

Tim

Post edited by: wokket, at: 2007/05/27 08:54

Thanks Wokkrt - it doesn't take much to start me off on the topic. I'll try nott to blow a gasket!:)

Wolf - what happens to the funds from the NSW fishing licence? I think some goes to buying out pros and reducing the pro fleet - which is a contestable issue on it's own. Then they use some for administration costs. Then the balance goes to restocking and R&D.

It's not like fresh water species that don't reproduce. These saltwater species should be able to breed easy.

How about the ocean King Fish in SA. They have reduced the legal catch size and increased the bag limit because there are so many now!

SEQ is just slack.

I agree they do need to do something but how many of those fish will actually stay in the river? yes they did release fish into the maroochy river a few years ago but honestly i have been catching alot more fish from the brissie river then the maroochy lately. the past 2 trips to the maroochy have produced just 2 15cm bream and one session was for 7 hours. My grandfather has been fishing the maroochy for over 40 years and he has stopped fishing there because there r no fish left.

This might sound like a stupid crazy idea but what about closing certain river systems for a period of time? example of this is close the pine river for 6 to 12 months then when that reopens close another like the noosa river? this will give time for the river to rejuvenate itself and the river will restock itself.

I know this will never happen as people earn a living on the rivers but i think your better off restocking the dams then saltwater restocking.

Troy - spot on about the closure. My view is to rotate the species you are allowed to keep. IE This year you are not allowed to keep bream, next year you are not allowed to keep flathead, year after you are not allowed to keep snapper etc.And that includes pro's.

I very much doubt this would happen, nor do I expect you locational shut down to get over the line but for just 1 year I would like to see the number of fish taken out of our systems put back in (and that is not counting for normal preditory dinners).

The pro's are all whinging that their catch rates are down and there's no money in it anymore. Dur Dur Dur. Try restocking!

Amen Brian,

stick it to the man. I know a lot of research was conducted on saltwater aquaculture (Bream and flathead were all the rage while I was working at MAFRI down south), yet I have not seen or read of anything about saltwater aquaculture set ups except for Prawns and Oysters. ANyone know if they exist?

Chilly you have made some good points there mate. I can't say I have much knowledge of how it works in NSW but if the powers to be were to introduce a saltwater license that is WELL MANAGED with the aim of improving the recreational fishery I would support it 100%. I guess its the same story as in our dams. I have always made sure I have my license when fishing Big W in the past even if I was targeting dirty big catfish that breed in there anyway! The idea is to fund improving the resource for everyone's benefit.B)

Chilly you have made some good points there mate. I can't say I have much knowledge of how it works in NSW but if the powers to be were to introduce a saltwater license that is WELL MANAGED with the aim of improving the recreational fishery I would support it 100%. I guess its the same story as in our dams. I have always made sure I have my license when fishing Big W in the past even if I was targeting dirty big catfish that breed in there anyway! The idea is to fund improving the resource for everyone's benefit.B)

The Maroochy has had some big fish kills in the last couple of years, that probably is the reason catch rates are down.

The Tweed is regularly stocked with Jew by NSW Fisheries.

Brian it only takes one dedicated person to get something like this up! Maybe we should look into it, and see if some appropriate fingerlings can be sourced. I'd put a couple of hundred into buying some, I'm sure a few others might pitch in as well.

If suitable fingerlings can be sourced, maybe we should hit up Angus to include a fingerling release in to the Brissy River as part of the Classic event! (And to be honest help sort out the permissions, do the public talking etc, the bloke has a silver tongue! I mean he has plenty of time to help out, after all he has not got much else to do apart from planning a wedding!:woohoo: and a 3 day fishing trip for a few blokes on the brissy River between now and christmas)

Might get the site and the classic a bit of publicity. I'd reckon it would be great to try and get Dave Downey and Fitzy on board for some advice and maybe clear some of the red tape, and a mention on the the old radio. A target time of the Classic should give us time to get it all sorted. Angus could offer to do regular updates every month or so on where we are at in the process on Dave's show? ;)

What do you reckon? We stop talking about it and put our money / actions where our mouth is?

Archived