Should he quit as captain  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should he quit as captain

• Yes and retire
    • Yes but keep playing
    • No, He is a good captain
    • No, there is noone better to replace him
    • Who is Ricky Ponting

Remember when Tubby (my favourite captain) was having a form slump, then made that epic innings. He is alright, let him go on his terms I say.

Tubby stayed too long even considering that lonely score (IMO).

I'd rather see a bloke that got 40 - 60 runs every 1 or 2 innings than someone that scores 1 century amongst a dozen <20 fails.

My ranking for Captains since Kim Hughes days ended

1. AB

2. Steve Waugh

3. Tubby

4. Punter

If there were 10 names it would probably be

10. Punter :lol:

sadly for Australia and Ponting himself,they have run out of time,and Clark as captain well,I don`t think the Mingle with the Bingle will be his biggest disappointment...I keep viuallising Kim Hughes being sloooowly drawn and quartered.

Let him get over come his slump, Clarke isnt ready for the job and dosent fair much better as a player. As captain for so long he should be given some respect for his position and some time to decide himself when he should go his batting will improve as he is one of the worlds top batsmen.lets not topple another poppy ;)

what has made Ponting look worse is when he has "failed" to get a good score so have the majority of his batting top order.Plus ageing ungraciously hasn`t helped his image.

he did just get 104 in their world cup downfall.......well done ricky considering he knows alot of people want him gone from the top job.....great innings under pressure.....what did clarke make?

Let him get over come his slump, Clarke isnt ready for the job and dosent fair much better as a player. As captain for so long he should be given some respect for his position and some time to decide himself when he should go his batting will improve as he is one of the worlds top batsmen.lets not topple another poppy ;)

Is that from an Aussie's perspective ? Haha.

AB pushed

Waugh pushed

Taylor they tried to push but he was too heavy lol

I believe Ponting is a good example of being a good/great batsman but below the standard expected of captaincy for an Australian team. His captaincy record is dotted by strange/poor decisions. His off-field record has been marred by events since he came into the side.

I think pup has done his time and deserves his chance. I know he has his doubters but in the last 2.5 years only the Huss has out performed him (and that was only in the ashes). The bloke worked his way through the western suburbs of Sydney and got nothing handed to him on a plate (despite what the greater community thinks) his captaincy in the last one day series was superb. With Ricky's support,experience and knowledge I think he would do a great job.

unfortunately no one equipped well enough to replace him. Clarke's only tough call he's ever made was ditching bingle and would you think a tearaway hothead speedster would really listen to him anyway.Haddin won't be there for too much longer with Paine waiting in the wings.Watson, although excellent over last two years wouldn't exactly make opposition worry if he was captain.A bit too much of too old too slow. Australia should have an Australian A team for summer series to generate excitement and give the up and comers something to strive for or get a good knowledge of where they need to lift their standards to.Only then will Australian cricket go forward.We are paying the price for keeping our ageing team 3 years back and not really blooding anyone of note.

I think pup has done his time and deserves his chance. I know he has his doubters but in the last 2.5 years only the Huss has out performed him (and that was only in the ashes). The bloke worked his way through the western suburbs of Sydney and got nothing handed to him on a plate (despite what the greater community thinks) his captaincy in the last one day series was superb. With Ricky's support,experience and knowledge I think he would do a great job.

here here!:cheer:

Interesting that there is only 2 votes for "No, There is no-one to replace him" yet some of the discussion indicates there should be more.

I wanna know who the 5 who chose "Who is Ricky Ponting" though :lol: :lol:

may be kiwis` living in the past :whistle: they still haven`t got over that match winning underarm bowl :evil: :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ricky_Ponting's_achievements_and_statistics

GOOGLED: PONTINGS record as a captain.

Captaincy recordsMost victories as ODI captain: 162

Most victories as Test captain: 48

Highest victory rate as ODI captain in more than 20 matches: 75.74%

Most Cricket World Cups won as captain: 2, shared with Clive Lloyd

Most consecutive Test victories won as captain: 16, shared with Steve Waugh

Undefeated as Captain in World Cups (25 matches)

Most consecutive Ashes defeats in England: 2, shared with Billy Murdoch

Clarke will take over from Ponting at some point in 2011.

Tim Paine will then replace Haddin as the gloveman, and likely become Vice Captain.

In the future, barring injury and/or horrendous change in physical ability, Paine will be captain and highly likely that Usman Khawaja will be VC, and then move on to become captain after Paine.

Clarke will take over from Ponting at some point in 2011.

Tim Paine will then replace Haddin as the gloveman, and likely become Vice Captain.

In the future, barring injury and/or horrendous change in physical ability, Paine will be captain and highly likely that Usman Khawaja will be VC, and then move on to become captain after Paine.

And following Khawaja will be the kid in my avartar - Cooper Langley - remember that name people. Finished his U8's season today - Most runs, most wickets, most run outs and most catches and still not satisfied with his season :blink: . (there's my retirement plan - tour the world and watch him play cricket).

I totally disagree Terry - Cam White - Of every player in the side he is the luckiest still to be there! Not only was his world cup been terrible, he didn't play a convincing innings throughout the entire Australian summer either. I think if they are serious about moving the team forward then he has to be the first to go - James Hopes would have been the perfect person to take to the sub contenent over white, skiddy medium pacer with pace changes and a better bat every day of the week.

I cant help but get the feeling that there's something about Hopes that worries the selectors.

That, coupled with the fact that White has been a bit of a favourite for a while now. White might come good, he's brilliant when on, but looks like a 3rd grade slogger when he's even slightly off.

The difference between the Ponting and Tendulkar scenarios is that sachin comes from a country that thinks he is a God. You'd be killed if you said a bad word about him in India. Now look at Ponting and, in particular, the australian psychie, tall poppy syndrome is alive and well. Aussies love nothing more than belting someone and kicking them in the jatz when they are down.

We drop our sporting heroes like bad bean pies from one day to the next, regardless of recent performance "this week you sucked, therefore overall and on average you suck. get off"

You also have to ask, what kind of player are we/you looking for ? In my mind, white has never been a candidate for being a long term test player. I dont blieve he has the temperament for it. Hopes has come a long way over the last couple of years, he was quite the tempestuous brat 5 years ago, but has matured nicely as a player and had a watershed season this summer just gone.

He will make a very nice option to have at #6 in the test team next year, with Paine batting at #7 sure to inflict some serious grief on oppostion attacks. Tim is a beautifully fluent batsman and student of the game, pay attention next time he is playing and its on the TV.

over the past couple decades the former aussie captains were all pushed out. In this day and age people like punter are going to stay for as long as they can, i would like to be naieve and say he's staying because of pride, passion for playing for Australia and for the love of the game but reality is he get's a massive pay check to play cricket, why gve it up until you are forced !!!

He served us well for most of his time.... i think lol

Time for a new captain !!

Archived