Stretching the legs in the "J"

ryanyoung

G'day All,

Got a call off Cam (87) yesterday, and a trip was quickly planned to venture into some new sweetwater around the Gold Coast Hinterland.

It was an earlyish start with Cam picking me up at 0500, and we arrived on site at about 0600.

The first stage of the trip was an exploration of the Coomera River as it ran through some very rugged terrain and vegetation. I have been wanting to hit this area for a while now, as it has always looked very fishy from what I have seen.

post-5695-144598605608_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144598605613_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144598605618_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144598605623_thumb.jpg

This was a mammoth slog from the get-go, as the lantana was incredibly thick and as a result, the going was pretty horrific. To add insult to injury, the few pools we did find seemed devoid of fish :angry:

The decision was soon made to cut our losses and head to the car, adopting plan B. Plan B consisted of heading to Sharpe's Park, a camping ground further upstream, as we had heard of bass being caught in this location. This part of the trip was much easier, although we still found no fish.

It was finally time to give the ace-up-the-sleeve a crack. I had heard whispers of this waterway from a couple of members from this site, and had been thinking to give it a crack one of these days, so with the time we had left, we hit it up.

This waterway looked a lot fishier than the others, and in a short amount of time, Cam hooked up to the first fish of the day, a wild bass.

post-5695-144598605627_thumb.jpg

As we headed further upstream, I soon found out that Cam was as loathe to lose lures as me :P

post-5695-144598605642_thumb.jpg

Before too long, I managed to get some runs on the board. This was my first for the day, and also the smallest.

post-5695-144598605632_thumb.jpg

We travelled a bit futher up before hitting this snag....

post-5695-144598605637_thumb.jpg

I managed to pull six or seven bass out of this snag alone, it was pretty cool, the bass were that hungry :woohoo: The few times we didn't hook fish out of this snag, the lures were followed and hit with varying degrees of enthusiasm.

The time soon got away from us, and we had to turn back for home, during the walk back, we found that we had only covered about three hundred metres of water, with a total of twelve fish landed, and a few dropped.

It was a great morning out, with some good exploration of some cleaner water for a change. It was great to be able to see the fish striking at the shallow divers :) and we can't wait to get back to this location for some further fishing fun.

Thanks for inviting me out Cam, was great to catch up again (outside of work for a change), and I'm looking forward to the next trip into the "J".

Cheers, and thanks for reading.

Ryan.

PS - Here is a pic of a hitch-hiker I picked up at one stage of the trek.

post-5695-144598605646_thumb.jpg

The first spot looks really wild. You need to carry a can knife i think. Was there much Rain down there this morning? Well done on the Bass

G'day Ted,

Rained a bit on the way down, but was dry for the duration, before raining again once we were on the road back. A cane knife would definitely come in handy, I have been meaning to get one for quite a while. Thanks for the reminder :P .

Cheers,

Ryan.

nice report mate it's a pretty looking spot but I'm sensing a trend beging to happen here, fish in the water koala's in the tree's so lure's in the water come on mate :whistle: :whistle: :lol: :lol:

Koalas put up a far better fight on 5lb Dassa.....everyone knows that!!! :P :whistle: :evil:

G'day All,

This waterway looked a lot fishier than the others, and in a short amount of time, Cam hooked up to the first fish of the day, a wild bass.

[attachment=32882]e_2011-04-19.JPG[/attachment]

You'd be wild too, getting pulled out of the water by a hook :silly:

nice report mate it's a pretty looking spot but I'm sensing a trend beging to happen here, fish in the water koala's in the tree's so lure's in the water come on mate :whistle: :whistle: :lol: :lol:

Koalas put up a far better fight on 5lb Dassa.....everyone knows that!!! :P :whistle: :evil:

not bad eating like platypus

Get any ticks on ya ? :pinch:

No ticks mate, not even any leaches which was very unusual for that part of the world lol! A comprehensive check post trip identified multiple lantana grazes though. My next foray into the weeds will have me wearing my work boots and trousers ha ha ha!!!

Archived