Going North

Juddy64

Guys,

Just found out i have leave approved and i am going up north to see my parents in rockhampton. As its going to be a week im looking to go fishing, as my parents just moved up there would be my first time fishign the area, so any help in where to go and what to use would be greatly appreciated.

I wont have access to a boat so im hoping to find somewhere i can get descent fish from land base, thanks for any of the help.

p.s i have read a couple of articles on barra being caught up there in the river, not sure if its the season for this or not but if so would be keen as mustard.

Hey juddy,

Heaps' of options up that way. Probably a bit late for the Barra , but we used to get a few in the city reaches, go over to the North side and fish the creek mouth half way between the two bridges, ( it's right behind the bowls club) the change of tide from high and for the next couple of hours of run out tide is best. If no luck then you can go up the rocks under the new bridge best 2 hours either side of the low. Lures ( 100mm - 150mm medium divers ) or livies are the way to go. Might be a few big Barra left in the Woolwash lagoon ( on the road out to Port Alma), go late afternoon at this time of year. Very, very long shot though.

If you can get down the coast, the Causeway is OK but heavily fished, for things like whiting, flatties, shovel noses, trevs etc, really good if you can get a tide big enough to run over the causeway.

Another one worth trying is Cooraman creek just south of Emu Park, excellent for whiting, grunter and maybe Salmon.

Rosslyn Bay is a good landbased spot definately flatties and bream, maybe snapper, parrot, or mackeral but more importantly some great deep sea charters run out of there and you can also get over to great Keppel Island pretty cheaply which has some sweet fishing. I caught a 5kg Snapper off the rocks there during winter, a fair few years back.

Good luck mate, hope you get a few.

Guys thanks for the great heads up

shaggy, thanks mate i'll definately be trying out those spots, it looks every apparent ill \"have\" to get a charter on lake awoonga so fingers xx'd that i get a fix of barra there, then go out out and suss out a few other spots.

feral and plastic man, yeah i have about 3 numbers but ill definately give him a go if he comes recommended ;)

Lozzel, mate hopefully ill be able to come back with some spot x's of my own :blush:

Guys, one other thing, shaggy said that lures 100 - 150 mmm are better, are there any lures you could reccomend? if not what about colours would be good.

Once again thanks for all the info and im sure it will come in handy and fill up a lot of my time up there, also what sort of gear should in the way of rod and reel and stuff should i take?

Shaggy ; Born & bred some 50 years ago. Done alot fishing around there. Caught my first fish in the Fitzroy 8lb Barra (on my 8th birthday with dads help)

Oh by the way the Woolwash in my day was only used for PARKING not fishing.:whistle:

Post edited by: Lozzel, at: 2007/06/02 00:34

Archived