Bream Lures

I can never get bream to hit lures. I dunno what I'm doing wrong. Get flathead all the time but no bream. Tried all sorts of soft plastics and even watched that starlo DVD on catching bream on plastics but no dice. I'm too cheap to buy hardbodies.

Not always STU. Bream are renowned as the hardest fish to catch on lures on a regular basis. Sure there will be times when they just eat anything they see, but there can be a lot of effort and skill involved in catching finnicky Bream.

Flats Bream are definately more aggressive, a Bream on the flats is usually there for one reason, food. The bad thing is when fishing for Bream on the flats with light line and leader a big dirty Flathead always wants to jump on and take your $20 lure. But flats Bream will always go much harder then a canal Bream of the same size.

I will always use a natural coloured lure with gold as an exception as you will always get more interest from Bream and most other fish from a natural colour then say a pink, no questions asked.

Deep Jackall Chubbies in Ayu colour are a good start in hardbody colours. Good rattle, tight shimmy action and natural looking colour with some shine to reflect some light. One major advantage with Deep Chubbies is that the casting distance is extra far then say an SX40 which is great on spooky Bream.

In canals I usually throw plastics or slowly sinking hardbodies (Though plastics more so as you can skip cast them under pontoons, jetties, etc.) in and around pontoons, it's much more productive then hardbodies as it takes time for the lure to dive down. Though if you really want to use hardbodies around pontoons then Deep Chubbies are the way to go as they diver deeper, quicker.

In between pontoons in the open water can and usually is very productive with hardbodies. Though I can't resist using topwater lures like Towadis insted. Watching the fish come up behind it, look at it and scoff it down off the top is the most addictive thing about Breamin'. Black Towadis are the best colour I have found, very notice able on the top and not exactly unatural. Though I have caught many fish on unnatural topwater lures as the bottom is the side the fish will see. If you can crack a pattern early in the day you can usually get the fish to bite the entire day through with ease.

Mangroves are also better with topwater as you don't get snagged as much for just as much interest.

Troy

Throw all the other lures in the bin and get yourself some Prawnstar lures...

These lures will out preform most lures as they are identical to the Bream's preferred food source, the prawn...

Prawnstar lures can be fished in a verity of fishing situations with very good success from shallow flats to deep water snags..

Prawnstar lure have an adjustable weight system to allow the fisho to remove or add weight as to allow the \"prawn\" to slowly sink to the bottom like a natural prawn..With a quick flick of the rod tip the lures tail flicks simulating the movement and noise of a fleeing prawn....

Give them ago you will be surprised..;)

Thanks everyone for the info. My wallet will be empty for the next few months now. Last thing (I promise), I have some 6lb yamatoyo leader and this is definately what I'll be using with Soft Plastics for Flathead and Bream, but I would rather use something heavier for using small Ecogears and Jackalls to catch Bream and Bass. I've heard that 10lb is a good weight flurocarbon but I've also heard that 12lb is just as effective. What weight do you rekon would be best for using Ecogears and other small lures for Bream and Bass when being used with 6lb fireling crystal?

Cowfish13 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the info. My wallet will be empty for the next few months now. Last thing (I promise), I have some 6lb yamatoyo leader and this is definately what I'll be using with Soft Plastics for Flathead and Bream, but I would rather use something heavier for using small Ecogears and Jackalls to catch Bream and Bass. I've heard that 10lb is a good weight flurocarbon but I've also heard that 12lb is just as effective. What weight do you rekon would be best for using Ecogears and other small lures for Bream and Bass when being used with 6lb fireling crystal?

It's up to you mate I you 6lb leader most of the time somtimes 10lb when chasing bigger fish

I would ditch the 6lb main and go either 1-4lb Fireline Crystal or 4-10lb PE braid. If you're going to target Flathead on lures I wouldn't be using any less then a 10lb fluoro leader, 14lb would be just about perfect.

As for Bream, plastics I use anywhere between 2 and 6lb fluorocarbon. With hardbodies I wouldn't go anything over 8lb fluoro leader, any more and it's over kill and you will then be restricting bites, bouyancy and running depth of your lure.

Prawnstars sink far too quick for Bream. I agree you will get them occasionally on the baby Prawnstars when fished on the bottom. But you are better off investing in some deep diving Jackall Chubbies, Bassday Sugar Deeps or Smith Camion Dredge hardbodies. All retail for about $20 ea.

Troy

Hey Troy

I'm going to get an Ecogear SX40 (colour 307, as recommended by a tournament bream angler) and I also want to get a Jackall Chubby

What colour and style (deep or shallow diver) would be best to get if I'm getting a brightish SX40 and I already have a goldy-brown speckled Ecogear CK40 (colour 329)

Use this site for reference: http://motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=catalogue&category_id=152&page_no=1

Thanks for all the info so far

well my theory is pretty similar to troys as he taught me a lot of what I know but I would disagree with ditching the 6lb fireline, The crystal is so thin and casts so well if you have it then why waste money on more line? I have 4lb and 6lb normal fireline (4 for bream, 6lb for bass) and 6lb crystal would be good.

Archived