sand pumping jetty nightmair

madmullet

I agree with the majority of comments regarding the illegal fishing practices that does happen on the jetty (and anywhere else for that matter) and that should be regulated more regularly by fisheries, but I also agree that some of the details are just hearsay and other comments do just nitpick.

Madmullet - I'd be pretty angry too if someone started filming me without my permission, innocent or not. It's just plain rude to stick a camera in someone's face and expect that action to be okay.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will it be like the animal slaughter docu in Indonesia. Today tonight style. 30mins of bad footage compiled but over 3000mins of good footage that is never shown :)

i have been fishing on the spit jetty a couple times last week. it does get busy but the mojority of people do do the right thing when it comes to size of fish. i do see them measure and check before taking. i do see a couple people take undersize fish but rarely. this thread is saying that nearly everyone does it when its not true. i know most of people on there. when i do see people take undersize fish i also tell them as well. sometimes they listen and throw it back and sometimes they dont. these people are the one who gives it the bad reputation. i have fished the spit jetty every year and have never seen or heard of a knife fight in years. just remember being told of one which happened ages ago. reading this thread people are saying that knife fights happen very often and so on. i find this isnt true. i dont think anyone would a pull a knife out. its mostly arguements. i have had heaps of arguments up there but never seen a knife. so please have proper evidence before saying anything like that. if anyone likes i am more then happy to take them for a walk and talk to fishos up there to see wat they have got and can decide how much of the majority is taking undersize fish. most of the men up there know my face because my dad knows them. its just i have been fishing up there since a kid. and alot of things said in this thread isnt true. which really offends me. im not trying to back up the guys up there. the night you went madmullet the fish were small. just legal. they looked undersize to me but when measured came up as 36. i was there fishing from 4-6. got a good 15 and went home.

cool what about the bream and whiting let alone the tailor that were about 20-25cm long. i am not creating a fight nor do i like being called a lier. and when i went up their the other night, why do you think peoiple approched me and told me to and i am going to put this lightly go away and when i didnt i got approched by 4 individualy and i got out of their. i didnt want to film at the time as i wasnt comfitable being approched in the manner i was, and i have 3 people to back me up to what i am saying. i thort if i filmed them they would take my camera and destroy it so i had no evidence....

now why do you think an inocent person would do this?????????

im sorry if i offended you madmullet. i was just saying what i see as i do usually go up there. the crowd i usually fish with measure their catch and when i do go for a walk i see mostly legal fish even if there is undersize caught on the night. about 85% of people on the jetty usually have the legal limits. if you want to do a doco i am more then happy to come with you to film. im sorry mate if it seem like i called you a liar. if i was fishing up there and someone came up and film me without asking or anything, i would probuly tell them to go away as well.

if he sticks any camera in my face that camera will be swimming with the fishes so fast and I wait until the police gets their to press assualt charges against him too.[ thats if the regulars dont toss him over the side before]

Some poeple get very violent at the slightest annoyance. Thats why I live in peace

I agree with the majority of comments regarding the illegal fishing practices that does happen on the jetty (and anywhere else for that matter) and that should be regulated more regularly by fisheries, but I also agree that some of the details are just hearsay and other comments do just nitpick.

Madmullet - I'd be pretty angry too if someone started filming me without my permission, innocent or not. It's just plain rude to stick a camera in someone's face and expect that action to be okay.

Will it be like the animal slaughter docu in Indonesia. Today tonight style. 30mins of bad footage compiled but over 3000mins of good footage that is never shown :)

i have been fishing on the spit jetty a couple times last week. it does get busy but the mojority of people do do the right thing when it comes to size of fish. i do see them measure and check before taking. i do see a couple people take undersize fish but rarely. this thread is saying that nearly everyone does it when its not true. i know most of people on there. when i do see people take undersize fish i also tell them as well. sometimes they listen and throw it back and sometimes they dont. these people are the one who gives it the bad reputation. i have fished the spit jetty every year and have never seen or heard of a knife fight in years. just remember being told of one which happened ages ago. reading this thread people are saying that knife fights happen very often and so on. i find this isnt true. i dont think anyone would a pull a knife out. its mostly arguements. i have had heaps of arguments up there but never seen a knife. so please have proper evidence before saying anything like that. if anyone likes i am more then happy to take them for a walk and talk to fishos up there to see wat they have got and can decide how much of the majority is taking undersize fish. most of the men up there know my face because my dad knows them. its just i have been fishing up there since a kid. and alot of things said in this thread isnt true. which really offends me. im not trying to back up the guys up there. the night you went madmullet the fish were small. just legal. they looked undersize to me but when measured came up as 36. i was there fishing from 4-6. got a good 15 and went home.

cool what about the bream and whiting let alone the tailor that were about 20-25cm long. i am not creating a fight nor do i like being called a lier. and when i went up their the other night, why do you think peoiple approched me and told me to and i am going to put this lightly go away and when i didnt i got approched by 4 individualy and i got out of their. i didnt want to film at the time as i wasnt comfitable being approched in the manner i was, and i have 3 people to back me up to what i am saying. i thort if i filmed them they would take my camera and destroy it so i had no evidence....

now why do you think an inocent person would do this?????????

im sorry if i offended you madmullet. i was just saying what i see as i do usually go up there. the crowd i usually fish with measure their catch and when i do go for a walk i see mostly legal fish even if there is undersize caught on the night. about 85% of people on the jetty usually have the legal limits. if you want to do a doco i am more then happy to come with you to film. im sorry mate if it seem like i called you a liar. if i was fishing up there and someone came up and film me without asking or anything, i would probuly tell them to go away as well.

yeh it would be the same i suppose,30mins of straight up slaughter,but the good footage would be included,the 3000mins of the cars leaving away as the sun comes up :P

no you didnt. Post that footage on here and I will paypal you $200. All talk, innuendo and outright lies

People are people not 'hundreds of asians' they are people.. kinda like we are being 'swarmed with Asians' oh no that was Ms Hanson

then whats the need to clarify that no racial intent meant at anytime:) if you didnt meantion it so much then you wouldnt need to have this rider attached to your post Mullet

Massive exaggeration. How do people get away with these made up stories. I bet you dont have that on film. No wonder vigilante action is being proposed. Its like talkback radio..all hearsay. You obviously dont like Asians but are afraid to say it.

I am sure they will be looking for your filming activities. People who go looking for trouble usually get it. Alot of crazy people out their who dont give a*^#@%

The jetty crowd, regulars, sometimers or families does not have 1 single person on here defending it. Looks like its all backslapping and agreement on this thread.

With regard to my post this morning, I've decided to outline a few things regarding the activities of a certain few "individuals".

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the Gold Coast Seaway Sand Pumping Jetty, but it's an 800m long jetty just south of the seaway entrance. As the jetty extends so far out, there is access to some decent fishing at particular times of the day or year. The jetty has two large flow pipes running along the south facing side of it for the pumping process, and various locked maintenance platforms periodically along its length for access to the joins in piping and other devices and controls. It is illegal to set foot onto the maintenance platforms for obvious reasons.

Last night, I arrived to an all too familiar sight. The jetty was lined with hundreds, and hundreds of Asians fishing. This isn't a problem. I don't care if there's 600 nations fishing on that jetty - it's not the point. Along the entire length of the jetty, they are shoulder to shoulder and amongst them are quite a number of completely inconsiderate and obnoxious individuals.

Of these individuals, many fish with as many as six or more rods - each. On some of these rods are dropper rigs with no less than 8 or 10 baited hooks. Last night I observed dozens of people undertaking this practice. Three or four of these dropper rigs will be in the water, whilst the owner continues to slay tailor after tailor after tailor after tailor - regardless of size or number. Literally anything, and I mean anything that becomes hooked on those dropper lines is promptly wound in, and goes straight into the esky. Anything at all. If it's a herring, bream, whiting, soul, flathead, dart - doesn't matter. Anything at all, no matter how big...it goes into the esky. Why? What the hell can someone do with a 14cm whiting? Someone please explain.

The individuals seem to think that they're above the rest of us, and that they have priority access to the maintenance platforms (easier casting as there is no overhead obstruction from the pipes) which they adorn with all their worldly possessions necessary to decimate an environment.

As I walked the length of the jetty last night, not one of these platforms was absent of these "individuals".

I observed two separate parties of "individuals", one party of two and one of three discard their bait packets, wrapping from whatever they were consuming and numerous soft drink cans over the edge of the jetty as they laughed and carried on with their bullshit

One of these parties of "individuals" later in the night after they had been through two 2.5kg blocks of pilchards and far, far out numbered the tailor bag limit, took it upon themselves that as I was standing about eight metres away, my gear was there for their personal supply and went about shuffling through my gear to find my bait, as I looked on. Of course, this prompted a mandatory tongue lashing fueled by my already furious temper to which they turned and promptly returned to "their' platform, dropping handfuls of my bait as they did so.

Who in God's name gives these #######s the right to go through my gear? Where the hell did these "individuals" get off thinking that rules and regulations that normal people abide by, do not apply to them? How can these "individuals" of such arrogance pay such complete and utter disrespect to what our environment has to offer?

The general norm of these "individuals" fishing for tailor seems to be just as Alex has described. The family unit will be present. One person will hold the rod and effectively catch the fish and wind it in. As he/she brings the fish to the jetty, someone else unhooks the fish and assists it with its journey to the esky while someone else baits the hook. All while this is happening, the "individual" holding the rod will have it over his/her shoulder ready for the next cast. Upon baiting the hook, the line is cast back out for another fish.

Numerous parties of these individuals obviously know they are acting illegally in regard to the fish that they take. Once the esky has a large number of fish, legal size or not, one person of the party will wheel the esky back down the jetty on a little cart to the car park and empty the fish into the car. They will then return with miraculously with an empty esky - to start the process again. I have observed this on numerous occasions at this site. What the hell does someone do with over 60 tailor? Anyone reckon they're using these fish for "personal consumption"?

On a separate occasion last year, my line had become entangled in one of these "individual's" dropper rigs, about 30m away. As I hadn't seen much of what went on at this location, I waited as he went about untangling the line - or so I thought. I wound in my line to see that he had simply cut the line, and kept my rig.

For those of you that have suggested that something be done, this is just a little insight into what I'm so furious about, and yes, something needs to be done. I'm not being racist - I don't have a problem with Asians fishing or the Asian race as a whole. I have a problem with the fact that these "individuals" seem to go out of their way to match themselves to the stereotype that we're all so familiar with. I have an even bigger problem with the fact that these people have absolutely no regard what so ever for rules, regulations or common decency towards other people.

this is the post that hains posted

its funny u say that coz i filmed it all ;)

if he sticks any camera in my face that camera will be swimming with the fishes so fast and I wait until the police gets their to press assualt charges against him too.[ thats if the regulars dont toss him over the side before]

Some poeple get very violent at the slightest annoyance. Thats why I live in peace.

so it wronge for me to film you but you can grab my camera of me but you still will press charges... ok..... for what ????????????

i can go their and film what ever i want.. and i dont stick any camera in anyones face , stop accusing people seriously.... we did it from 2m afaw, infact from the other railing, its called zoom on a camera.......

oh I get it, the bogans can rant and rave talkback radio style.[ alot of racists and disgusting posts] but as soon as push back is received then thats a problem...........pleeease

What you have on here is a strongly contrived 'STORY" about the jetty with many strong back slaps and a few weak opposing points of view. Why is a strong push back so wrong or am I stooping to their level :)

Gilychick, you should try being less antogonistic, I can see that your time in here will be short lived the way you are carrying on.

no you didnt. Post that footage on here and I will paypal you $200. All talk, innuendo and outright lies

People are people not 'hundreds of asians' they are people.. kinda like we are being 'swarmed with Asians' oh no that was Ms Hanson

then whats the need to clarify that no racial intent meant at anytime:) if you didnt meantion it so much then you wouldnt need to have this rider attached to your post Mullet

Massive exaggeration. How do people get away with these made up stories. I bet you dont have that on film. No wonder vigilante action is being proposed. Its like talkback radio..all hearsay. You obviously dont like Asians but are afraid to say it.

I am sure they will be looking for your filming activities. People who go looking for trouble usually get it. Alot of crazy people out their who dont give a*^#@%

The jetty crowd, regulars, sometimers or families does not have 1 single person on here defending it. Looks like its all backslapping and agreement on this thread.

With regard to my post this morning, I've decided to outline a few things regarding the activities of a certain few "individuals".

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the Gold Coast Seaway Sand Pumping Jetty, but it's an 800m long jetty just south of the seaway entrance. As the jetty extends so far out, there is access to some decent fishing at particular times of the day or year. The jetty has two large flow pipes running along the south facing side of it for the pumping process, and various locked maintenance platforms periodically along its length for access to the joins in piping and other devices and controls. It is illegal to set foot onto the maintenance platforms for obvious reasons.

Last night, I arrived to an all too familiar sight. The jetty was lined with hundreds, and hundreds of Asians fishing. This isn't a problem. I don't care if there's 600 nations fishing on that jetty - it's not the point. Along the entire length of the jetty, they are shoulder to shoulder and amongst them are quite a number of completely inconsiderate and obnoxious individuals.

Of these individuals, many fish with as many as six or more rods - each. On some of these rods are dropper rigs with no less than 8 or 10 baited hooks. Last night I observed dozens of people undertaking this practice. Three or four of these dropper rigs will be in the water, whilst the owner continues to slay tailor after tailor after tailor after tailor - regardless of size or number. Literally anything, and I mean anything that becomes hooked on those dropper lines is promptly wound in, and goes straight into the esky. Anything at all. If it's a herring, bream, whiting, soul, flathead, dart - doesn't matter. Anything at all, no matter how big...it goes into the esky. Why? What the hell can someone do with a 14cm whiting? Someone please explain.

The individuals seem to think that they're above the rest of us, and that they have priority access to the maintenance platforms (easier casting as there is no overhead obstruction from the pipes) which they adorn with all their worldly possessions necessary to decimate an environment.

As I walked the length of the jetty last night, not one of these platforms was absent of these "individuals".

I observed two separate parties of "individuals", one party of two and one of three discard their bait packets, wrapping from whatever they were consuming and numerous soft drink cans over the edge of the jetty as they laughed and carried on with their bullshit

One of these parties of "individuals" later in the night after they had been through two 2.5kg blocks of pilchards and far, far out numbered the tailor bag limit, took it upon themselves that as I was standing about eight metres away, my gear was there for their personal supply and went about shuffling through my gear to find my bait, as I looked on. Of course, this prompted a mandatory tongue lashing fueled by my already furious temper to which they turned and promptly returned to "their' platform, dropping handfuls of my bait as they did so.

Who in God's name gives these #######s the right to go through my gear? Where the hell did these "individuals" get off thinking that rules and regulations that normal people abide by, do not apply to them? How can these "individuals" of such arrogance pay such complete and utter disrespect to what our environment has to offer?

The general norm of these "individuals" fishing for tailor seems to be just as Alex has described. The family unit will be present. One person will hold the rod and effectively catch the fish and wind it in. As he/she brings the fish to the jetty, someone else unhooks the fish and assists it with its journey to the esky while someone else baits the hook. All while this is happening, the "individual" holding the rod will have it over his/her shoulder ready for the next cast. Upon baiting the hook, the line is cast back out for another fish.

Numerous parties of these individuals obviously know they are acting illegally in regard to the fish that they take. Once the esky has a large number of fish, legal size or not, one person of the party will wheel the esky back down the jetty on a little cart to the car park and empty the fish into the car. They will then return with miraculously with an empty esky - to start the process again. I have observed this on numerous occasions at this site. What the hell does someone do with over 60 tailor? Anyone reckon they're using these fish for "personal consumption"?

On a separate occasion last year, my line had become entangled in one of these "individual's" dropper rigs, about 30m away. As I hadn't seen much of what went on at this location, I waited as he went about untangling the line - or so I thought. I wound in my line to see that he had simply cut the line, and kept my rig.

For those of you that have suggested that something be done, this is just a little insight into what I'm so furious about, and yes, something needs to be done. I'm not being racist - I don't have a problem with Asians fishing or the Asian race as a whole. I have a problem with the fact that these "individuals" seem to go out of their way to match themselves to the stereotype that we're all so familiar with. I have an even bigger problem with the fact that these people have absolutely no regard what so ever for rules, regulations or common decency towards other people.

this is the post that hains posted

this was mearly showing that it isnt the first time this has happened....... my post is the very first post

looks like I will have to get my lawyer sister on your behind :) You better learn the law. Filming people without their permission has a whole host of problems[and I mean a whole host] especially when youe you CANNOT PROVE they have broken any law.[in Aus you are presumed innocent, not like China or Cuba where its the other way around] 1 example...if you have me on camera without my permission and I take the tape and keep it as its no longer your tape as you have my likeness and property on that tape. The police may ask me to give you back the tape but if I show them that you have my likeness on that tape then unless its erased the cannot force any such return. they can try but my lawyer will have me out on bail in 1 hr if I am arrested while the tape is in a safe place pending any court date. Of course I will also sue for good measure both for wrongful arrest[qld police paid out about $5million for that last year] and I will also sue you.

You are not Today tonight who do their so called research and 'know' the person is 'more than likely' guilty so their risk of lawsuit is low.Guilty people tend not to sue people and prefer to lie low. This is how they they do their stuff and they have a panel of high priced lawyers to protect them.............. incase. Even then they still ocassionally get sued sued and pay out.

You better transfer your assets to your children and wife.

Some poeple get very violent at the slightest annoyance. Thats why I live in peace.

so it wronge for me to film you but you can grab my camera of me but you still will press charges... ok..... for what ????????????

i can go their and film what ever i want.. and i dont stick any camera in anyones face , stop accusing people seriously.... we did it from 2m afaw, infact from the other railing, its called zoom on a camera.......

what ever.....

for the people who are reading this post and believe in the resion this post was created, dont let people perswaid you into thinking this is a racial battle........NO NO, it was in the beging created to let everyone no what is going on down the jetty. and no at one time did i mention the race..... so from hear on in say what you will, for those out their who will fight with me for rite and wrong, stick in their, our voices will be heard.

i wish everone a big thanks for helping me out, i will not stop i promise you.......

thanks kurt

looks like I will have to get my lawyer sister on your behind :) You better learn the law. Filming people without their permission has a whole host of problems[and I mean a whole host] especially when youe you CANNOT PROVE they have broken any law.[in Aus you are presumed innocent, not like China or Cuba where its the other way around] 1 example...if you have me on camera without my permission and I take the tape and keep it as its no longer your tape as you have my likeness and property on that tape. The police may ask me to give you back the tape but if I show them that you have my likeness on that tape then unless its erased the cannot force any such return. they can try but my lawyer will have me out on bail in 1 hr if I am arrested while the tape is in a safe place pending any court date. Of course I will also sue for good measure both for wrongful arrest[qld police paid out about $5million for that last year] and I will also sue you.

hahahahahahahaha your funny.... 2 thumbs up to you..... :P:P:P:P

Haines,

Oh what a profound statement. 'Good thread' when you agreed huh....Such rigour and intellect. I guess since you dont agree with me then it means I should be banned and the jetty haters can go on backslapping each other.

100% of my posts are on topic. [ I have not hijacked the thread in any way]

Moderators, time to stop this nonsense, this good thread has been highjacked by this ranting idiot.

girlychick......good to see you've taken the oft treaded path of branding people as racists and bogans. noone used racist language on here. pointing out a person's ethnicity/race is not racist - nobody has used abusive language. plenty of caucasian who do the wrong the thing, yes. but it is frequently our 'northern neighbours' who are seen taking illegal quantities of undersize fish. on the coast, here in brisbane - doesn't matter. it's a common occurence. the fish shop near where i live constantly has undersized fish in it. it's owned and operated by asians. oh gosh - i'm such a racist.

there's a difference in cultural approaches to environment and fish stock management - that's obvious. but by fishing in queensland waters the authorities assume that you have informed yourself enough to know the rules. ignorance is no excuse. it's one element of a foreign culture that certainly is not welcome here.

but good on you for your own cultural approach - brand anyone you disagree with a racist or a bogan, therefore nothing they say is well informed or valid in any way at all. good job. perhaps you should spend a bit more time on here before jumping to conclusions about people you don't know.

Well alot of people will be looking out for your filming activities so good luck friend. Iam sure I will hear about any problems.

hahahahahahahaha your funny.... 2 thumbs up to you..... :P:P:P:P

im sorry girlychick but some of your points isnt on topic. i havent seen anywhere in this thread of anyone mentioning asian or anything. we do try to keep our points friendly as possible. you can't just create an account and start going on as you do. most the guys on afo are good fellas. some of the stuff pointed out in this thread doesnt going along in my books but you dont see me having a go at them. please get to know the forum better before you have your inputs.

Haines,

Oh what a profound statement. 'Good thread' when you agreed huh....Such rigour and intellect. I guess since you dont agree with me then it means I should be banned and the jetty haters can go on backslapping each other.

Moderators, time to stop this nonsense, this good thread has been highjacked by this ranting idiot.

you are a trouble maker using offensive and antogonistic language, ellicat, where are you?

this is hilarious... on a serious note.. girlychick, i call shenannagins on you .. you aren't who you say you are.. its school holidays ...

you aren't eloquent in your typing and you used the term 'LOL' .. no self respecting mother uses that .. i fear for your gene pool.. our country is in fine hands

girlychick......good to see you've taken the oft treaded path of branding people as racists and bogans. noone used racist language on here. pointing out a person's ethnicity/race is not racist - nobody has used abusive language.

wrong often mentioning the race of the person has a purpose. If not then why not say 'people' instead of their race. Of course you probably already know this as its called the 'dog whistle' and its a very effective tool on talkback radio. Speak about a topic, slip in the persons race then continue to talk about the said topic.

plenty of caucasian who do the wrong the thing, yes. but it is frequently our 'northern neighbours' who are seen taking illegal quantities of undersize fish. on the coast, here in brisbane - doesn't matter. it's a common occurence. the fish shop near where i live constantly has undersized fish in it. it's owned and operated by asians. oh gosh - i'm such a racist.

soon you will be telling me that we are too politically correct :)

there's a difference in cultural approaches to environment and fish stock management - that's obvious. but by fishing in queensland waters the authorities assume that you have informed yourself enough to know the rules. ignorance is no excuse. it's one element of a foreign culture that certainly is not welcome here.

agreed somewhat but alot has changed in 30years

but good on you for your own cultural approach - brand anyone you disagree with a racist or a bogan, therefore nothing they say is well informed or valid in any way at all. good job. perhaps you should spend a bit more time on here before jumping to conclusions about people you don't know.

I will try but alot want to ban me because I disagree withe majority :)

girlychick......good to see you've taken the oft treaded path of branding people as racists and bogans. noone used racist language on here. pointing out a person's ethnicity/race is not racist - nobody has used abusive language. plenty of caucasian who do the wrong the thing, yes. but it is frequently our 'northern neighbours' who are seen taking illegal quantities of undersize fish. on the coast, here in brisbane - doesn't matter. it's a common occurence. the fish shop near where i live constantly has undersized fish in it. it's owned and operated by asians. oh gosh - i'm such a racist.

brarvo....oncore

'troublemaker' do you think you are in 1930;s Queensland :) Since I disagree with you I am antagonistic and offensive language. You must be a nun ..oops I meant a priest. I disagree with you and most on this thread. DO YOU GET THAT. Australia is a democracy and the majority dont get to ride willynilly overthe minority..thank good.

Disagreement does not make me offensive it only makes me disagreeable :) Do I detect a little Hitler syndrome

Haines,

you are a trouble maker using offensive and antogonistic language, ellicat, where are you?

you're right - i am telling you we're too politically correct.

on a side note, since when did bogans have no right to an opinion or a voice? so what if they're unsophisticated, drive commodores, wear beanies and ugg boots to the shops? are they then automatically entitled to a lesser degree of freedom of speech than those with a masters degree in political studies?

identifying a persons race in this case is done as a reference point......a lot of people on this board have experience with seeing asian people taking undersize and illegal quantities of fish - it's an established pattern of behaviour based on cultural differences. but the law supercedes cultural inclinations when they are in fact ILLEGAL. we also see white people doing it too. but the occasion madmullet was talking about - they were asian.

i know for a fact he prefers a fox whistle to a dog whistle.....don't ya kurt ;)

wrong often mentioning the race of the person has a purpose. If not then why not say 'people' instead of their race. Of course you probably already know this as its called the 'dog whistle' and its a very effective tool on talkback radio. Speak about a topic, slip in the persons race then continue to talk about the said topic.

ive been on this forum for awhile now and there is absolutely no racist comments made at anytime. like i said you should get to know the forum better before approaching a thread like you did.

this is hilarious... on a serious note.. girlychick, i call shenannagins on you .. you aren't who you say you are.. its school holidays ...

you aren't eloquent in your typing and you used the term 'LOL' .. no self respecting mother uses that .. i fear for your gene pool.. our country is in fine hands

I SECOND THIS MOTION B)

Girlychick, You have made your point. Please refrain from further off topic banter. If you want to talk about racism and make it the topic, then start your own thread.

Note to others

Please refrain from responding to any further 'testing me out' posts from girlychick in this thread.

All future comments should remain on the original and developing topic, not on the rubbish that has erupted since girlychick began posting.

Damnit, whoever deleted that made my post look stupid.

This unfortunately occurs on most jetties. Bongaree at Bribie is massive for it, as is Shorncliffe but doesn't sound as bad as sand pumping jetty.

I've seen "people" with 15ft poles with nets attached to the end scooping passing blue swimmers stuck in the current. Whatever size, whatever sex the crab- goes in the esky and trollied off and back.

This is why I am a massive advocate for licensing costs ala NSW. Increased revenue for fisheries qld allows for further investment in research, stocking and as seen in this thread- DPI Inspectors.

wow, well that was interesting...

kurt- keep it up mate. What your doing is both democratic and legal, as long as your filming doesn't physically intrude on people. If filming/photographing other people in public without their permission was illegal, every magazine on the bookshelf would be illegal, and every story on the news/current affair programs would result in lawsuits. Just dont do anything illegal whilst filming, and obviously use common sense

I'd also just like to comment on the fact that the issue raised by Kurt here in regard to this particular Jetty has raised such fierce support because everyone here has experienced the same problem and noted its worsening condition for themselves. It's happening all over the country, and this particular example is just a highlight which we are focusing on to raise awareness of the problem.

On the race issue- I don't give a whootie wooty which race/s are responsible. There is no one race responsible, ive seen asians, aussies, indians, kiwis, americans, all kinds keep undersized fish. Yes it happens more frequently among some races, perhaps due to culutural or socioeconomic differences, I dont know I'm not a social commentator, but what I can't see is how this issue of race is relevant to this discussion at all.

The changes were are seeking to the rules, regulations, laws, and enforcements which protect our natural waterways, will they not apply to us all? I mean, if we succeed and lets say for argument sake there is increased penalties for keeping undersized fish along with increased fisheries presence in popular locations, do these rules only apply to asian fisherman? aussie fisherman? indian fishermen?

no, they'll apply to all of us. So the issue of race is null and void. We are not seeking to produce a discriminatory policy applicational to one race or race/s.

So, in that regard, I welcome the direction of this topic back to where it belongs:

How can we bring attention to the persistent and damaging habits of illegal fishing methods across queensland, such as is occuring at the sand pumping jetty gold coast?

What policies/changes would make a difference and are viable?

What can we do to see these changes implemented?

cheers,

nate

Damnit, whoever deleted that made my post look stupid.

This unfortunately occurs on most jetties. Bongaree at Bribie is massive for it, as is Shorncliffe but doesn't sound as bad as sand pumping jetty.

This is why I am a massive advocate for licensing costs ala NSW. Increased revenue for fisheries qld allows for further investment in research, stocking and as seen in this thread- DPI Inspectors.

this is true it does happen everywhere, but when a fish congregates in an area, it gets fished harder and more eligal activities go on, not branding everone that is

kurt- keep it up mate. What your doing is both democratic and legal, as long as your filming doesn't physically intrude on people. If filming/photographing other people in public without their permission was illegal, every magazine on the bookshelf would be illegal, and every story on the news/current affair programs would result in lawsuits. Just dont do anything illegal whilst filming, and obviously use common sense

I'd also just like to comment on the fact that the issue raised by Kurt here in regard to this particular Jetty has raised such fierce support because everyone here has experienced the same problem and noted its worsening condition for themselves. It's happening all over the country, and this particular example is just a highlight which we are focusing on to raise awareness of the problem.

On the race issue- I don't give a whootie wooty which race/s are responsible. There is no one race responsible, ive seen asians, aussies, indians, kiwis, americans, all kinds keep undersized fish. Yes it happens more frequently among some races, perhaps due to culutural or socioeconomic differences, I dont know I'm not a social commentator, but what I can't see is how this issue of race is relevant to this discussion at all.

The changes were are seeking to the rules, regulations, laws, and enforcements which protect our natural waterways, will they not apply to us all? I mean, if we succeed and lets say for argument sake there is increased penalties for keeping undersized fish along with increased fisheries presence in popular locations, do these rules only apply to asian fisherman? aussie fisherman? indian fishermen?

no, they'll apply to all of us. So the issue of race is null and void. We are not seeking to produce a discriminatory policy applicational to one race or race/s.

So, in that regard, I welcome the direction of this topic back to where it belongs:

How can we bring attention to the persistent and damaging habits of illegal fishing methods across queensland, such as is occuring at the sand pumping jetty gold coast?

cheers,

nate

my hat is of to you nate, you nailed it on the head......

cheers,

nate

Nate,

I agree with most what you said.

My major beef IS THE TARGETING of the JETTY. This problem is all over Qld and dont even get me started on the mullet fishermen this season. I hear this week alone 1 crew shot up 350kg of mullet in the broadwater and they are allowed all other species as legal bycatch !!

That Jetty is quiet 75% of the year and I would hate to see it go as many women, children, disabled and old crooked fisho use that Jetty regularily. I can think of people like George who recently passed away and his mates who still fish there.. all men over 65 yrs who go their 3-4 times/ week. many regulars who enforce the rules and are the first to call qld fisheries.

I saw a fisho in a wheelchair last week in the day fishing and I though to my self what would I do if I were in his situation., rocks, beach, an unsafe pontoon or peir, I dont think so.

Archived