Stolen Trailer from Coomera

Daniel_F

Hey

Everyone on the Gold Coast and Brisbane please keep an eye out for a Dunbier Boat trailer that usually has my 4.5 mtr Bluefin on it.

Someone stole it from the boat ramp at Coomera next to the freeway last night.

Just had it resprayed with cold Gal a couple of days ago and a Brand new winch put on it.Rego was BT1184 but dont think that will matter too much now.

Dude... no way.... that's a low act.

Did you have the tralor padlocked to your towbar?

Got a photo of the trailor??

friggen thieves! i agree a picture would help and possibly some distinct markings or custom work done to the trailer.

i hate to say it but locks don't really serve as much deterrent nowadays. there's a few points where the trailer can be separated from the car and have even heard of people coming back to the ramp to find their clamped wheel all of what's remaining of their trailer (must have used the spare).

Not really any distinct features on the trailer Except it had a brand new winch on it that i had to drill 2 1/4 inch Holes through to screw it onto the winch plate.

Should be Hearing back from the insurance company tommorow.

It wasnt locked to the towball.So it would have been pretty easy to take, I usually use the lock but it was my uncle who was using the boat at the time.

Some Random but top bloke was goin out for a fish so he let us use the trailer just to get the boat home which is now sitting in my front yard.

Pretty dissapointed that some low life has taken it but at least i still have my boat.

Not really any distinct features on the trailer Except it had a brand new winch on it that i had to drill 2 1/4 inch Holes through to screw it onto the winch plate.

It wasnt locked to the towball.So it would have been pretty easy to take, I usually use the lock but it was my uncle who was using the boat at the time.

Some Random but top bloke was goin out for a fish so he let us use the trailer just to get the boat home which is now sitting in my front yard.

Pretty dissapointed that some low life has taken it but at least i still have my boat.

Mate that is a bloody low act. A padlock probably would have made stuff all difference anyways, they only keep the honest people out. It would only take about 10 seconds to remove it.

Surely they must be on camera heading back onto the freeway or past the shops?

Pretty sure how you secure the trailer to the towbar makes a difference to the insurance company, even if it doesn't always stop the thieves. Probably a good idea to take some photos of how you secure your boat at home and on the car to help with any claims.

Hope you go ok with the insurance, Daniel.

Mate that is a bloody low act. A padlock probably would have made stuff all difference anyways, they only keep the honest people out. It would only take about 10 seconds to remove it.

Pretty sure how you secure the trailer to the towbar makes a difference to the insurance company, even if it doesn't always stop the thieves. Probably a good idea to take some photos of how you secure your boat at home and on the car to help with any claims.

Yeah no argument with that here :)

For example - My policy with Club Marine states that it must be secured with a suitable anti-theft device, otherwise a $1000 excess applies..... It goes on to say that a padlock does not count as an anti-theft device so would have no bearing whatsoever on the insurance.

I was just pointing out that a padlock takes no effort at all to break, and if this person wanted that trailer that badly it wouldn't have made any difference :)

If you had a device like trailer cop or one of the other approved locking apparatus the excess wouldn't apply.

Agree with everything you said, just pointing out the insurance angle for those who may not have read the policy. Pity we have to think about these sorts of things, but it is a reality these days. Cheers Steve

For example - My policy with Club Marine states that it must be secured with a suitable anti-theft device, otherwise a $1000 excess applies..... It goes on to say that a padlock does not count as an anti-theft device so would have no bearing whatsoever on the insurance.

I was just pointing out that a padlock takes no effort at all to break, and if this person wanted that trailer that badly it wouldn't have made any difference :)

If you had a device like trailer cop or one of the other approved locking apparatus the excess wouldn't apply.

I know mate its a bloody sad thing when it comes down to that kind of thing. The policies have lots of hidden details like this.

I like your idea about taking photos of the boat connection to the trailer, I'm going to do it first thing tomorrow.

It might also be a good idea for all afo'ers to take a photo of their boat/trailer/car/yak and save it on their computer in case this happens to them.

Sorry to go off topic - Hope you get your trailer back Daniel

Agree with everything you said, just pointing out the insurance angle for those who may not have read the policy. Pity we have to think about these sorts of things, but it is a reality these days. Cheers Steve

mate thats not rite....

if the insureance company doesnt come threw, i manage mayfair marine, manufacturers of redco and tinka boat trailer.

give me a call at work on 3277 7322 or my mob 0432 4111 95 and i will help you out with a new trailer.

cheers kurt

Thanks for the offer champ.I should know by late this afternoon.

As for Cameras there is a watersports club about 50 metres away that has 2 cameras pointing in the direction of the carpark,I have spoke to the manager there and apparently the cameras dont reach that far.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to hear about the trailer mate.

I had my trailer stolen from deep water bend boat ramp one night back in early march. when i got back to the ramp and walked to the car park and saw my trailer was gone i couldnt believe it.

there are some real lowlifes around, stealing from blokes who bust there nuts all week just to get out and have a fish on weekends and while we are out think the carparks are a good place to steal or vandalise what ever they want.

On a brighter note club marine came through for me but it took around 9 - 10 weeks. so they didnt rush but the new redco trailer is better than the old one.

hope it all works out for you as well !!

dave.

Mate that really sucks, I havnt had it happen to me but I know people who have. I have a cheap battery opperated contact alarm like off the windows in the house. Its pretty loud, if the hitch gets lifted it goes off. The other thing is a motion detection watch camera, sounds dumb I know but they are 15 bucks from hong kong, i sit mine behind the spare wheel facing out on the fourby, if anyone comes within a meter of the spare it records for 20 secs or until there is no more movement, its pretty clear footage too. I know its hard to stop these guys and even harder to catch them in the act but this would help.. Either that or we recruit young fellas to sit near the boat carpark and give them disposable cameras or something..

• 1 month later...

I fish the Coomera a fair bit and never lock my trailer, but in reading this post i think i might go and buy a lock for the trailer chain :unsure:

I have been a luck boy so far :side:

Cheers

Darren

Archived