Recommendations for icebox?

dhess

Will be needing an icebox for the new boat.

Really like the fiberglass iceboxes but not so keen on the price.:unsure:

Does anyone have any recommendations. Is fiberglass worth the premium over poly?

Ideally after something that is at the upper end in size as it will double as a seat.

Saw a nice Waco with a padded seat at anaconda but not big enough and pretty exy.

Is it easy and inexpensive enough to have custom cushions made up?

All input appreciated.:)

The fibreglass ones are easier to keep clean. The poly ones tend to get scratched and show up the scratches but I use a poly one and clean it with hosehold bleach and it looks ok.

Things to check on are preferably fitted with skids on bottom as the rubber feet come off.

Strongly attached handles. Some are quite weak and pull the rivets out. Is it easy to lift when loaded some with a ledge for lifting around the top are hard to carry. I have an techni ice( i think that is the name i will have a look in am) that I purchased on ebay and am happy with it even though its a bit hard to carry when loaded. Just have a look at the bidding history and see when not so many people bid. I got mine about $40 cheaper by bidding on an off night. Check if any auctions end state of origon night.

Ray

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/06/19 06:32

I purchased a 120L techni-ice ice box from Ebay some time back for $200 freighted up from Melbourne. I got 12 of the techni ice sheets included in the deal and didnt think they were a big deal (still dont actually) but saw them at the local hardware store for $7.95 per sheet.

But the actual box I cant fault, except it wont fit under my hard torneau cover..DUH!!

hard to say dom i do have both, the evakool like ray says easy to clean, top quality and you pay for it, for keeping ice better longer 2-3 day trips or camping they come into there own. the fish contrast nicely in a bright white box lol

the plastic boxes do warp a bit from heat and being sat on, but if u have a deep freeze and can make your own ice for little cost there isnt much of a saving to be had from getting a glass box for day trips.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Looks like I would be probably better off getting a couple of 150L poly boxes instead of one huge fiberglass box. That way bait and fish can go in one and food and drink in the other.

The techni ice look good for the money.

Just need to organise some padded seating for the top. Any ideas where I can get these made up?

Dhess,

If you dont get any sheets with your poly box purchases, before you go out and spend big $$$ on the sheets I will give you 1 or 2 sheets to try out and keep. I got 12 with my box and dont have the room to activate and store them all frozen.

I will be at the Sept 1 Noosa fish if you are going.

Try your local marine trimmer for cushions. Just make sure they attach them with press studs as velcro degrades and the sticky back stuff won't stick to well to the poly ice boxes.

I have a ice kool 85l box. I usually throw 1/2doz 1.25l bottles of ice in it and that has lasted up to 3 days. It gets real cold if you make a salt water slurry for your catch.

Mate they are sensational! Does the boat have purple and green neons under the hull too?

I noticed in your profile that you are a marine trimmer. Would love to get you to make something up in blue and white. e.g. blue cushion with a white fish skeleton outline.

Ohhh my god... Look at those cushions!! Can the boat be heard from a mile away with the 'doof doof' sub as it comes down the creek?

What a sensational look though, is that a whole section built into the back of the boat? Me's a thinking now with all this time on my hands, what can I do like that.

dhess wrote:

Thanks for the tips guys.

Looks like I would be probably better off getting a couple of 150L poly boxes instead of one huge fiberglass box. That way bait and fish can go in one and food and drink in the other.

The techni ice look good for the money.

Just need to organise some padded seating for the top. Any ideas where I can get these made up?

holy dooley two big boxes there... Mines only 123 ltr's and its big enough. (takes up a lot of boat) I'll post a couple of pix for you to think about. As the boys said the plastic ones do warp in time then after that there really useless. [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_0001_AFO.jpg

post-1304-144598418647_thumb.jpg

booty: it is a raised casting platform. it worked great with one person in the boat but is a bit unstable when fishing 2up.

I have installed a couple of stainless latches at either end of my poly ice box so that it won't warp too much. I think the biggest problem is the bungy loops they use to hold the lid closed.

lmao, nice 1 Jeff... so true so true..

and last of all hinges..

Personally i don't like the plastic / poly esky's. altho i do have a couple of them they dont go the distance like the glass esky. Really it depends what your going to use it for. A day or two fishing or a week away camping. Good luck :)

[img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_0004_AFO.jpg

post-1304-144598418661_thumb.jpg

Hey Master Sardines. Nice ice box you have there. really like your partition system. I would love to get a fibre glass ones but do the poly ones really warp that bad?

The techni ice ones are meant to have a 7 year warranty.

I will be using them pretty much only for day trips or overnight trips.

We're buying a 5.6m aluminium boat with carpeted floor. 2.35m beam so plenty of room.

I have had my techniice ones for nearly 3 years and they show no sign of warping .They are kept under cover. Graham regularly sits and stands on them and he weighs over 17 stone .They will puncture if you drop a 6ft length of 2inch angle iron end on but it didnt go right through.

Ray

Archived