[SP] Reel Selection :S

Jig_Meister

Hi guys first post, im having trouble selecting a new reel, im not liking my current reel

Just hoping you guys could give me a few pointers, on size/drag/weight/price/quality etc.

My setup are as follows :

Rod- Plueguer Trion 7ft 2-4 kg

reel- shimano sienna 2500

line- 4lb fireline/4lb vanish

Target species- bream/whiting/falleties/anything saltwater lol but hopefully want to get into bream mostly

Price range - $100-$250

($250 only if its an absolute must)

any help will be greatly appreciated B)

James.w

Thanks i was only coming on for tonight because ausfish was down, but this forum

seems more insightful (and local to me) i dont get to go on big fishing trips just sunny coast port of brisbane and gold coast and im stuck on shore :(

:lol: if you give AFO a chance you will find it alot better then Ausfish, its a great forum with friendly helpful members :)

Cheers

Darren

Have a look at a 2000 Caldia. 4kg of drag, not too heavy and some good prices around as the new model is coming out.

just wondering where to look i only look on the bcf site and its just as much as a stradic in which case i would like to go the stradic

i was looking at the daiwa crest 2500 but it seems quite heavy so yeah its doing my head in been shopping for two weeks still havent made up my mind

thanks Doobsy

Hi and welcome,i think you'll find the fellas on here are damn good people and try to make it to an event to put names to faces.

Now the reel - lool into a daiea freearms perhaps? Theyre 219 at tackle warehouse (family price 2000/2500/3000) if I had spare cash id grab one. Cant remember specs unfortunately and my phones about to die :(

Either that or find a 2nd hand ci4 stradic perhaps?

Anyhoo nothing wrong with being stuck landbased :)

Hi and welcome,i think you'll find the fellas on here are damn good people and try to make it to an event to put names to faces.

)

Ok sweet will definitly keep an eye out for events :) never been to one but with all my slack mates

its sounds like a good idea

i think think im gunna bite the bullet and try to talk down a stradic coz i have spent $300 at bcf so far so i might see if there willing to give me something in return

thanks all for the help its has put my mind at ease ;D

Tight lines!, James

Which stradic mate? Ive used a 2500 FI stradic for a couple years and has served me well but i reckon freearms is better, certate bodm? Lighter, more aftermarket parts(rcsbling).. But mechanically duno how each compares, freesrms incorporatimg new tech- youd think its be better? Each to their own, my last bit of advice Is goto closest reputable tackle shop - let them know what your gonna use it for, your budget . Then workout a deal.

I generally stay away from bcf, only go t here as a last resort . Most but not all arent helpful.

Sorry if I confused you, goodluck choosing a reel and dont forget to pop your report cherry :)

if you can afford the stradic go for it, great reels,the BCF online store has the stradic for $139, thats pretty good.You could also try the Symetre i have a couple of these and they are pretty good
/>http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Shimano-Stradic-FI-1000FI.aspx?pid=135639&variant=true#Description

not sure if the 2500 would be too big for the 2-4kg rod, i have a 3000 symetre which is the same size as the 2500 with a deeper spool on a 4-6kg rod which is matched well, you might want to try the 1000 size on that rod to make sure its balanced.

^^^ I respectfully challenge that thought. I think a 2500 will fit very well with a trion 2-4. I find 1000 sized reels only genuinely suit small numbers of 1-3kg rods under the $500 bracket.

Mate rayannes if you had ordered yesterday would have had it at your door by friday.

Calida vs stradic.... I haven't used a caldia for more than 4 casts and it feels nice. I've had a couple of stradics and I think they're great. Good workhorses that will keep going for years to come and perform very well. If you do end up buying it, you wont be disappointed.

a bit on the heavy side would say to me unbalanced, there is no problems with it.you can still fish with it and also use it for multiple applications. i run penn affinitys 1000 on my 2-4kg rods, although they are a little heavier, and have never had a problem with them they hold a full roll of 125m 6-8lb braid. just a suggestion that he tries them matched to his rod in the shop to see if they balance out right.

Archived