Fish smoking

fishingnut

.... Can any one point me in the right direction of whats a good quality smoker? and any tips from fellow smokers? Cheers

good quality glazed water pipe with brass fittings.. only use natural compost to fertilise the bush ;) ,chemical fertilisers may be carcinogenic :whistle: :silly: :lol:

mate i worked in a old school butchery for 5 yrs where we used to cold and hot s,oke meats. all depending on what flaviour smoke you want, or the desired efect.

cold smoks is just saw dust shavings lit then blown out so it smolders slowly and doesnt produce much head and this flavousr the meat 10 times better than hot smoke.... now you can do this acouple of ways...your salamies, pursuito, met wurst, chorizo ect.. they need to have salt and nitrate in them for the formenting process when raw.

a cooked item can be smoked for a period of time but remember if the meat starts getting to warm, bacteria can form.

ham, bacon, kassler, ect we used to hot smoke it till it hit 65 degree for 10mins, and then we dumped a huge bucket of saw dust on the fire to choke it out and try and block up all exit ponts for the smoke so we made sure it kept smoking...

hot smoke is where you cook with wook and throw saw dust shavings on and keeping the tepm hot to cook your meat....

when it comes to fish, cook it first with hot smoke then smother it will be the best depending on the fish. we used to also do smoked salmon and in was done with cold smoke....

mate their are so many differant ways of doing this.

the butcher i used to work for was heinz butchery on stanly road. old traditional small goods butchery and it was a wealth of knolwage.

Archived