live baiting

chubbstar

OK guys you've got me, I'm going to buy a cast net next weekend, and maybe a bait bag??

I've got no idea how to throw it but I guess I pick it up.

Any thoughts on what size net is good for a beginner? I'm a big fella so weight should'nt matter.:blink:

And are live bait bags any good?, or should I go the whole hog and get a tank? I've only got a 410 rhino so not a lot of room once the missus and kids are in it.

Any help guys would be great.

Start with a bucket for your live bait, change the water regularly, get a $12 aerator (surecatch ones that take 2 batteries run for a week on one set of batteries!)

Only really dedicated blokes bother with live bait tanks, they take a fair bit of room and cost a bomb!

Mate believe it not the bigger nets are easier to throw.

The weight of the sinkers helps propel and open it. This is mind i would get at least a 10 footer.

My first was a 6 footer and not only was it useless on water deepers than 1 meter :P It was a pain in the ass to throw.

Angus

Like Angus said Bigger is better when it comes to cast nets.....

Esky's also make great live bait tanks, throw in an aerator with an airstone like Feral explained and u should have a great set up........

Also for the landbased fishermen the esky style tank goes well on the back of an old golf trolley as its ezy to move around on wheels when full...

Each to their own Jeff !!

You must be doing something wrong if U have been castnetting for all those years and U cant get it to open??:dry:

Most people prefer the larger nets as why bother learning with smaller nets when U can learn to throw a bigger one that covers more area and catches more bait....

Dazzamcgee wrote:

Each to their own Jeff !!

You must be doing something wrong if U have been castnetting for all those years and U cant get it to open??:dry:

Most people prefer the larger nets as why bother learning with smaller nets when U can learn to throw a bigger one that covers more area and catches more bait....

i think it might have something to do with the lead line being double normal weight for fast sink rate or use in fast running water, bloody thing weighs a ton

Archived