My little Shimano snapped off - not happy

mee

When I bought this little Shimano Slade 2500 spinning reel, everyone said to pay a bit more for a good name brand. Earlier this week I was about to reel in a fish and the reel snapped in two, right near the 'foot' that holds it to the rod. The alloy this is made of is so light, it almost feels like plastic instead of metal.

Being 2 to 3 years old, I doubt I can find the receipt and warranty card, but even if I could, I'd be up for the postage costs etc etc. I just expected it to last longer than that and not fail in such a way. Super bearings aren't much use if it breaks :unsure:

I didn't know that model at all so a quick look shows it is a graphite body reel not metal. You have to remember just because something carries a decent manufacturers name it doesnt follow that it will be good. (tries to shake of the dejavu feeling :whistle: writing that)

It looks like that model may be discontinued as it is not mentioned on the shimano australia site only its schematics. You have to weigh up whether it is going to be worthwhile sending it back even if you can find the receipt. It might be better just putting the potential postage toward a newer different reel.

Contact shimano anyway and see what they have to say, you might be lucky.

If you have a legitimate warranty claim then the consumer is not liable for any costs associated witj postage or inspections or anything

Of course they say differently on their web site though.

Anyway, the problem will be that it is impossible to prove I didn't drop it or something.

I didn't know that model at all so a quick look shows it is a graphite body reel not metal. You have to remember just because something carries a decent manufacturers name it doesnt follow that it will be good. (tries to shake of the dejavu feeling :whistle: writing that)

It looks like that model may be discontinued as it is not mentioned on the shimano australia site only its schematics. You have to weigh up whether it is going to be worthwhile sending it back even if you can find the receipt. It might be better just putting the potential postage toward a newer different reel.

So, it's graphite? Wow, looked like a light alloy where it broke - but that explainhs why it is so light and plastic feeling.

Also I told myself, if I buy a reel, I can transfer the line, so that's more savings towards the new reel.

It should still have 10yrs warranty. Just take it back to where you bought it.

Can't find the receipt (I should learn to keep them better) and the store is quite a drive away, because I bought it while on holidays.

Anyway, as per another suggestion, I think I'll cut my losses and buy something else.

IMHO i think its done well for 2-3 years. Even in light use.

I wouldn't go writing off an entire brand from this experience. Take 1 more step up and buy a symetre or a tierra (if you're going to Daiwa) and it'll last you a very long time.

Agreed, don't write off the brand yet. They are top 2 for a reason and if you step up to a slightly higher model then I'm sure you'll change your mind. The Sedona and Sienna are great little reels for the dollars.

Shimano slade $59.99 brand new. ROFL

Went for a more expensvie reel and only got 2-3 years out of it.

Super bearings. ROFL. Makes me remeber an old supertuned thread.

This is seriously the funniest thing ive heard in a long time.

Thanks for the laugh.

YOu need to use a hand line. ROFL

You need to go egging.

In my experience the quality of the Shimano's is inconsistent below the Stella. All that happens as you go up the value chain, is that you get a little bit more of the Stella in the reel, at each price point. However it is worth buying the slightly more expensive reels (from about the Stradic level up) as Shimano fixes/ replaces the bits, with no fuss, when they go wrong.

The raw materials for a 2500 size Slade are about US$ 4.00, where as the raw materials for a 2500 size Stella are about US$25. Labour for assembly is about the same for each - takes less than five minutes on the production line in Malaysia, to put a Stella together. These costs are similar for all spinning reels of this size. Better materials and bearings are little more expensive than the entry level stuff, but not 300% more expensive.

I would love to see them just make the Stradic the entry model at about A$60 and the Stella top of the range at about A$ 200 more. That way we could all have a good reel. Don't hold your breath!

I would love to see them just make the Stradic the entry model at about A$60 and the Stella top of the range at about A$ 200 more. That way we could all have a good reel. Don't hold your breath!

I agree. Unfortunately, sales people in stores tell gullible people like me that I am buying a good reel when I buy one like I did. Unlike for some people, even $60 is expensive for me for a small reel like this. If I get similar lifetime from a $20 to $30 reel, then it's no real choice. Incidentally, I bought a small Abu reel on special to replace the Shimano.

In my experience the quality of the Shimano's is inconsistent below the Stella. All that happens as you go up the value chain, is that you get a little bit more of the Stella in the reel, at each price point. However it is worth buying the slightly more expensive reels (from about the Stradic level up) as Shimano fixes/ replaces the bits, with no fuss, when they go wrong.

The raw materials for a 2500 size Slade are about US$ 4.00, where as the raw materials for a 2500 size Stella are about US$25. Labour for assembly is about the same for each - takes less than five minutes on the production line in Malaysia, to put a Stella together. These costs are similar for all spinning reels of this size. Better materials and bearings are little more expensive than the entry level stuff, but not 300% more expensive.

I'm pretty sure that Stella's are still made in Japan. I haven't seen that they are made anywhere else. Also, just wondering where you got the estimated raw materials costs from?

Raw materials might not cost that much, but the R and D and everything would cost a fair amount of money.

hmmm second try - bloody jloop error

Mate I probably have a couple of bodies you can have. I bought a couple for the boys but they used to dunk the rods in sand and salt water all the time. Better now. You are welcome to them and you can change what you need to. They are a pretty cheap reel mate. They have shims rather than bearings on the crank shaft.

I will check if i have them.

I have to agree that if you got 2 to 3 years out of a $50 reel than that is pretty good. I like the Shimano Sedona as a cheap reel - I have 6 of them and they get a fair workout an perform well.

All Shimano fishing products are assembled in China or Malaysia (main production) - only R&D , brand management and marketing is done in Japan.

I have been shown bills of materials (the cost of each component to the manufacturer) for basic spinning reels and baitcasters, by a couple of Taiwanese contract manufacturers that I have worked with. Both have supplied parts to Shimano, Daiwa, Quantum and many others. Trust me, the sum of the components never gets above $50 on these small spinning reels. Nearly all these brands source their components from the same group of suppliers in China. Each year they ask these suppliers to re-tender for the supply contracts - and the price always goes down.

You are correct that these are just costs for the components and you are correct that they have to spend money on R&D. They also spend a huge amount advertising and branding - which has to eventually end up in the reel price. The wholesalers/ importers in Australia also take a much bigger mark up on fishing products, than in Europe or the US - which is why reels and tackle are generally more expensive here than in those markets. (even if you exclude the current exchange rate benefits).

In the end internet will force out these old fashioned monopoly importers and the big chainstores will start to go direct to the manufacturers for key products - this should mean lower prices for all and a quicker access to new products. But as I said before - don't hold your breath

Archived