spin or baitcaster

This is probably one of those questions like 'where are some good fishing spots full stop' but im wanting to know and only if you have used both what would be better for plastic fishing the spin reel or baitcaster? in your experiance which is better, not in terms of easiest either i dont have any problems with casting an overhead (i imagine the overhead and baitcaster are very similar?

any info appreciated.

Mate im all for spinning reel.

I can cast a lot further with lighter jig heads with spinning gear as opposed the overhead.

This is of course personal preferance only.

I have an overhead (Shimano Culcutta) and i just cant master it. I use it mostly for trolling in my kayak now. Such a waste of a fantastic reel i know, but i just cant seem to part with it.

Angus

I love overheads but for casting light gear an egg beater is the go :P

and just on a slightly different note you dont need to spend mega bucks :pinch:

I read of ppl spending hundreds of dollars on reels and rods dont get me wrong I dont buy 10$ reels but I used /owned/ and seen reasonally priced reels work to the same if not better standard than their overpriced brothers it really pisses me off :evil:

Spin is going to win easy here BUT in the latest edition of Freshwater Fishing there is an article on the \"new low profile bait casters\" that are designed for SP's and light weights. I'll be looking for one of them as I would much prefer to use bait casters.

However, I just can't see the distance being as good as the spin. More accurate, yes with practice, but not distance. So when SP'n from a boat in a narrow river or close to the bank the new bait casters might be just fine.

Well I just got my bc(liberto pixy), I can cast unweighted sp's with it but I'd still prefer spinning reels. This may change as I only just started using baitcaster but I can't see how they could be better than spinning reels for light sps.

I think the main issue is when you do get really good at using baitcasters hey give the greatest accuracy. I no longer use them because I'm usually land based but when I was a kid I did a lot of tinnie fishing in esturies casting into snags and having pinpoint accuracy from a baitcaster was awesome because you could really get into the strike zone. Plus off a boat casting distance isn't such a big deal. The way I learnt to cast was by placing a bucket at one end of the back yard and standing at the other. I'd tie on a small jig head with the hook snapped off and I practice until I could land the jig in the bucket consistantly. Once you get the hang of it it becomes like riding a bike.

Well a majority of my fishing is done from the boat and atm im fishing in the bay. I currently have a $50 1000 (insert random numbers and letters here) shimano reel. So im gonna be looking at upgrading soon. I think i am getting the tackle bug cos really there is nothing wrong with my current reel its just i want more and more, gimme gimme gimme :D

Mate, as Brian said - welcome to the addiction! My wife reckons I'm some sort of male version of Imelda Marcos of the fishing tackle world (not quite sure what she's trying to say here to be honest:huh: , I'm hoping it's the reference to quantity of gear rather than suggesting I start getting around in stilletos while fishing:blush: ). Anyhow, my 2 cents on the thread is go the good old eggbeater - can't beat it for distance or ease of use with lighter terminal tackle.

Both...each have their purpose. Spin rods are great for chucking the real light stuff and the bait casters are great for shads, flick baits and bigger plastics. I Usually take 4 of each with me when I go fishing. Mostly because thats all I have, however last trip out I used all of them at some stage.

Terry

Brian D wrote:

Oh bigtez you warm my heart - 8 rods on the one trip. Oh Yeah Baby.:woohoo: I try and stay to 6 with 2 bottom bashers, 2 spin and 2 bait casters.

Cliffy - you have problems but you are not alone:blink:

ya-baby if the boat isnt bristling ya aint really fishing:silly:

Dinodadog wrote:

tim

keep us posted on how it performs i was thinking of getting one

dinodadog

Sure thing, got a big yellow belly on it yesterday then started chucking sx60s around for one more bass, reel handled them fine and casted a mile!

Model Gear Ratio Weight Spool Ball Bearing Capacity

Pixy L left 5.8:1 5.7oz GIGAS 8+1 roller 8lb(0.27mm)-80yds

Is this true Tim will it only take 80 yards or am i reading it incorrectly.

PS you have to read that table top to bottom not left to right

Post edited by: Oceandonkey, at: 2007/07/04 16:30

Feral wrote:

8lb at 0.27? sounds like the line size they use to rate braid - you know equivilent to 8lb mono!

A reasonable 8lb mono should be no thicker than 0.25! (Surecatch 9lb is 0.25!) A Good one around 0.2 to 0.22!

That would make sense Feral! I just remembered that Adrian told me the Liberto's were never designed for braid. I wasn't looking too closely at the diamater sorry guys!

Btw you can still use braid on there fine.

Archived