10 jacks in 1 hour

maccatuna

Not a tall tale but pretty funny. When I was stationed in South Tarawa in Kiribati I used to do really well landbased with plastics. A lot of locals that regularly fished the same areas as me with bait flatly refused to believe that a fish shaped piece of plastic could outfish bait, and I even hooked up a lot of guys with some plastics and showed them how to work them etc, but of course they didn't do well straight up due to it takes a lot of practice to get the knack of it. So from this it was decided I must have some kind of powerful fishing magic which led me to becoming a bit of a minor celebrity on the island. People would actually come up to me and ask if I was the i-matang (translation: westerner) with the fishing magic. I neither confirmed nor denied these rumours :blush: :P

I can't remember the exact details now, but I used to work with this bloke who once claimed that whilst on the ferry to Straddie he thought he would have a bit of a troll off the back of it. Well, not 30 seconds after his lure hit the water it was gobbled by a 25kg plus tuna. He fought this beast for an hour and they had to stop the barge so he could land it and as a thankyou to everyone for being so patient he filleted it then and there and gave some to all before the barge continued on to straddie. This came from the same bloke who reckoned he was pushed off a six story building and while looking for somewhere to land spied a 44 gallon drum full of water. He swam through the air and dived straight in head first, came away alive but with 1500 stitches up his back! Oh and then there was the F1-11 and Blackhawk helicopter story :blink:

My brother tells a story that was backed up by a few mates of his that were there when he was fishing with them off a rock wall in nth qld. He had an old timber hand line with not much line on it set but he put it down to check another 1 when it took off and got to the end of the line it flew through the air and into the water with the hand line bouncing along the top of the water and out of sight. Half an hour later it came bouncing along the top of nthe water again towards the wall and slowed down bobbying in reach of the rocks for him to gaff it then get hold of the line and fought this fish gaffing a 15kg barra out of the water to the amazement of his mates

Archived