Wavebreak Island Marlin to Mackerel Social

tugger

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lance, Im going to try and turn my outboard into an inboard tonight so I can get some nice scratches up the back of the boat from marlin and give it a name like Fanta-Sea or Paying-the-bills or some game boat name, I'll let you know how I get on...

hahahahaha,,,sounds great Brad.

Good to see a small black was hooked on the close ground.

It will be just perfect to see a few more there so we can slow troll live baits around in close out of that strong current that's been running a bit wider.

Bonito,we need live Bonito so if anyone has any suggestions on any ground that regularly produces Bonito please let us know. :P:P:P

As Lance said BONITO if ant one finds some over the weekend get on the blower and let every body know I think the no:1bait for good sized spanyards caught my biggest on them there like chocklate to a fat kid or me.

And to a juvie marlin they think all of their christmas' have come at once.

They are by far the ultimate marlin baits.

Hi Brad, wondering if you may have a deckie spot for the sunday morning run for me and the missus?

We are coming over mid morning saturday on the yak and fishing the broadwater during the day. A few drinkies sat night and would love to get out with someone on a boat sunday morn!

Cheers Rob

Hey Rob. I prob wont have two spots, Ive got Lance on my boat all weekend so I'll have a max of one spot although most of the time it'll prob just be lance and I, got a new (new 2nd hand) boat now which is heaps more comfortable but has less fishing room than the other, 3 is about the max for it to be comfortable

No worries, Thanks anyway. I thought I would be pushing it for two people. I will be in big trouble if I go out and leave her at wavebreak. She has really caught this fishing bug now. I am not bring the yak now but borrowing a mates small tinny so we might just have a flick in the broady.

Cheers Rob

No worries, Thanks anyway. I thought I would be pushing it for two people. I will be in big trouble if I go out and leave her at wavebreak. She has really caught this fishing bug now. I am not bring the yak now but borrowing a mates small tinny so we might just have a flick in the broady.

Cheers Rob

Live a little! I'm leaving my wife on the island while I go fishing :evil:

Cheers Rob

Live a little! I'm leaving my wife on the island while I go fishing :evil:

Lol. I have to be good to her at the moment as after years of wanting to get my own boat she has finally given me "PERMISSION" - Or - I could just say tuff no room for you have a big fight, break up and then I could do what ever I feel like! :woohoo:

Anyone have an easy marlin rig i could make up for trolling or is it a very precise art? im willing to have a pair of rigs ready in case...

If i see one jump im going to get antsy. And if its big im stuffed because the longest amount of line i have on a reel is probably 300m of 40lb on a baitrunner and 400m of 7-8kg mono on a tld 15 but im willing to chase the bugger for a couple hours....

what lb wire should I get, and any particular hooks I should stock up on before we go down?

Hi Eddie

I use 27lb single strand bronze wire for spotties and 40 to 60lb for spanish with 4/0 octopus hooks.

I do prefer 18lb but i have not seen any around brissy so 27 is the next best.

Marlin traces I use 150 to 250lb mono leaders with 6/0 tarpons.

Anyone have an easy marlin rig i could make up for trolling or is it a very precise art? im willing to have a pair of rigs ready in case...

If i see one jump im going to get antsy. And if its big im stuffed because the longest amount of line i have on a reel is probably 300m of 40lb on a baitrunner and 400m of 7-8kg mono on a tld 15 but im willing to chase the bugger for a couple hours....

The simplest traces I find work best.

A length of around 4-5m of 150lb mono with a 6/0 Tarpon crimped on and a solid ring crimped onto the other end.

Make sure you color the ring black with a texta or something otherwise the mackeral will bite them off.

Your TLD 15 is fine for juvie blacks and sails,you will have to chase them around like a drunken sailor but you will land then on that gear.

Make sure you have a good double and leader and you will be fine.

Just had the cousins pull out so I have two spots available. 5.25 tinny so will be slow if its rough. I'm going down early friday morning, try to hook some pelagics before the holiday crowds arrive then go and meet and help set up. Getting out early again saturday morning. Going back to brisbane saturday afternoon sometime.

Anyone interested let me know.

Might not be able to get down there for Friday morning to help set up, the boss has said were to busy at the moment and all leave is on hold. Won't know until Thursday arvo if I'll be there in the morning or not, but will be on my way as soon as I knock off Friday evening.

i did alright on the sandies last wavebreak trip,so i will be doin more crabin this trip to fill in the time.might be in with a good chance of a jewie from the seaway or mouth of the coomera after this rain. and its worth trying for a jack in saltwater creek to fill in a few hours aswell

predictions are still sayin 27deg -29deg should be good even if we dont get off shore on every day,

we can also try to punch out and fish a very very close rock bottom reef north of the wall,this reef paid off for a few of the crew last trip.

i hope the weather eases so we can get out on atleast 2 days

i find willy to be optimistic, but at this stage i'll take anything. we might hit the canals and try and chase these whiting and trevs that youngy's been catching if the weather is too poor to head outside. got some pots too now dassa, let's see if i can remember what you showed me. : :kiss:

thats goo cus im ia pretty good guy to :woohoo: might come along will now for shaw friday

do we just turn up at wave break an pic a spot do i have to bring my own potty

We all camp in the same area so we don't have far to travel once we get on the piss :whistle:

I'm depending on other folks to get me over to the island, but you can give me a call at 0404404893 when you get out there and I'll either wave from the beach so you can find us, or get you in contact with somebody who is there already.

Archived