Fish Kills

rayke1938

There has been quite a few articles in the media and other forums on fish kills this week . They all seem to be blaming the cold weather which I find a bit strange unless it is the sudden drop in temperature.It cant be low oxygen levels in the water as I am told that the cold concentrates the oxygen levels.

Winter has been very late this year with no local frosts to date. We usually start the fireplace around early May and didnt light it till June this Year.

The fish kills have occured at Forrest Lake mainly tilapia.

Sommerset - boney bream

Callide - barra

Mondarra ( near Mt Isa ) barra.

Fairburn - Barra.

Any theories?

Climate Change?

Because we let the blues win the last crate of oranges?

Dr Patel /

Ray

the tilapia kill at forest lake would have something to do with a cold snap for sure....anyone seen any dead tilapia at north pine of late?..im guessing forest lake is very shallow compared to N.P...and that is most probally why the cold has affected the dirty buggers more......as for the bony bream in N.P....maybe stress from seeing dinodog everyday:P

Callide should not be from low oxygen, it has aeration systems they use to keep water quality up, and usually get turned on way before the oxygen levels get low enough to affect fish.

COuld be the cold, I wa slistening to the radio the other day and they reckon the low humidity to do with the low rainfall is making it cold in places. Also with low humidity we just may not be seeing the frosts (no ice forming on cars etc, as there is no water in the air).

A Fish kill near the Isa from cold would be a bit hard to believe though!

Over my last few trips to North Pine I have seen a number of dead tilapia on the bank, usually pretty big too. We have also seen a number of large tilapia swim past about 2m out from the bank that looked very sick and sluggish.

Since fishing at North Pine I have rarely seen dead tilapia and it was more likely to find dead bass (usually larger bass) on the bank. I know tilapia are more tolerant to extreme conditions and its interesting how they are now showing up in more numbers than the bass.

-nelson-

I went today and there where hundreds of dead tilapia, around the dam wall was the worst, saw a few swimming very slowly then turning back of onto their backs then swimming another few metres then turning on their backs. With so many dead fish its no wonder there are so many big redclaw.

Smaller volumes of water are more susceptible to variations in water temperature..

This will stress even the hardest of fish...

Also as water levels near there lowest levels the build up of toxins in the water become more concentrated, rising to dangerous levels that are lethal to all aquatic inhabitants especially fish.....

Archived