Outboard stand

Feral

I had a little bit of welding to do on the boat trailer yesterday, and I have to find a home for my second 6hp, before I can take my original one off the boat. So I got a bright idea, all those cutoff bits of galvanised rhs I scrounged a while back, would make the perfect engine stand.

Well It did, but what a lot of work! Must of used about 50 welding rods putting it all together, there are 30 individual bits of cut off metal in this baby!

But at least it is wide enough to take 3 outboards! [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1070771_AFO.jpg

post-134-144598421045_thumb.jpg

Tip if welding gal use a flapwheel on your grinder and get rid of the gal where you want to weld ;) and just in case you didn't know you can weld mild steel with stainless rods a quik coat of cold gal spray paint and should last ages :)

Gaz

Yeah Jeff, but those in \"home use\" sizes are Tonka toys and not worth having, takes a month of sundays to build up a descent thickness of metal in the weld! (to say nothing about the cost of keeping the gas up to them!)

The galv steel was BHP stock, so with the tiny thickness (or should I say thinness!) of galv on em I hardly even noticed it. Burnt right through it with out even making any smoke or fumes.

yeah but seriously - the small amount of welding I do cant justify it. Before I made the boat trailer, I probably had not run a weld in 15 years! (Since I gave up racing cars!) This job finished off the 2.5kilo pack of rods I bought back in '92!

I agree with you mig and tig are the way to go ;) If you have one :pinch:

Were I work (as a fitter) sometimes the only way to get to where a weld is needed (behind flanges etc) is to use the humble old stik :( but it does save pulling the whole machine apart.

Causing lots of lost production ;) and work

And those cheap asian rods are great :woohoo:

Gaz

• 1 month later...

Archived