AFO Social Group - Confirmed

Angus

Guys, I am going to put a slightly different spin on things and may well be cast as a pessimist or whatever for doing so.

This concept appears to have come about after polls and discussions on how shaping the future of AFO social and comp scene post declining numbers at some events making them not a viable venture.

So I find it a little ironic that instead of focusing on making the exisitng comps more attractive, affordable, viable, and more people attending automatically increases to social aspect of the event, AFO have chosen to increase the number of events.

I know that putting on any event of such size can be a cumbersome and time consuming effort, but as suggested there are many long term members which would be more than willing to assist where needed with things.

People have limited time, money, gear etc and I honestly think that stacking the calender with more events is not the idea solution to the problem. I mean the jam can only go so far on the bread before it fails to become a sandwich.

I know that if there is a lower cost event planned where I can get out, meet up with some stalwarts, have a chat and fish then I will attend that in the place of a SOO or BRC or the like.

If these 'social events' are designed to shortcut the insurance side of things then I would seek some advice prior to hosting the first one as the event is promoted on AFO, discussed on AFO, AFO receive remuneration from the event etc..... sounds like a fine line to me.

Anyway its just my thoughts and there to provoke discussion.

Guys, I am going to put a slightly different spin on things and may well be cast as a pessimist or whatever for doing so.

This concept appears to have come about after polls and discussions on how shaping the future of AFO social and comp scene post declining numbers at some events making them not a viable venture.

So I find it a little ironic that instead of focusing on making the exisitng comps more attractive, affordable, viable, and more people attending automatically increases to social aspect of the event, AFO have chosen to increase the number of events.

I know that putting on any event of such size can be a cumbersome and time consuming effort, but as suggested there are many long term members which would be more than willing to assist where needed with things.

People have limited time, money, gear etc and I honestly think that stacking the calender with more events is not the idea solution to the problem. I mean the jam can only go so far on the bread before it fails to become a sandwich.

I know that if there is a lower cost event planned where I can get out, meet up with some stalwarts, have a chat and fish then I will attend that in the place of a SOO or BRC or the like.

If these 'social events' are designed to shortcut the insurance side of things then I would seek some advice prior to hosting the first one as the event is promoted on AFO, discussed on AFO, AFO receive remuneration from the event etc..... sounds like a fine line to me.

I was thinking along the same line as Greg and is this going to take way from the stand alone comps like SoS,BRC,MBC and yes the summer classic which I thing was as good any comp I have entered through AFO.Iwill be atending some of the socials but won't be comitting to any until closer to the date as work does get in the way from time to time.

My 2 cents worth thanks

AFO have not decided to create more events or eliminate any either.

These are socials run and organised by members not AFO. I have helped set up a group and will have no further role in organising.

There used to be more socials on afo (flathead social, bass social, tilly cull, wello point) that were greatly attended by many (often as a first event) and had no negative impacts on major afo events. If anything they helped.

These socials will hopefully be well attended giving more members a chance to break out of lurking or shyness at an informal social maybe encouraging them to attend official events at some point.

These events aren't 'in place' of the major events AFO run but we are just trying to reinforce the idea that AFO is a community and that we encourage members to organise meetups and socials and we are just trying to kick start this along a bit.

Ohh come on Gus... Mate I am just trying to give you another perspective on it. I dont think I need to be smashed for doing so.

It just a play on words as to not eliminating or increasing events. AFO is the vehicle for these events that will be attended by AFO members and invited guests.

Agreed, a few years ago there were more social events run by members. They were adhoc in both timing and destination and therefore you couldnt plan months in advance to attend this event over that event.

And I cant see anywhere wherere I have speculated on the direction AFO is going.

Ohh come on Gus... Mate I am just trying to give you another perspective on it. I dont think I need to be smashed for doing so.

It just a play on words as to not eliminating or increasing events. AFO is the vehicle for these events that will be attended by AFO members and invited guests.

Agreed, a few years ago there were more social events run by members. They were adhoc in both timing and destination and therefore you couldnt plan months in advance to attend this event over that event.

And I cant see anywhere speculation on the direction AFO is going.

Speculation that we are making more events from a afo stand point. I have personally helped set up this group as it was requested by members. I can honestly say this was my personal decision and pleasure to do this for the group as someone that could help and not a afo decision. Other admin have had nothing to do with this.

We have grown beyond the scope of what one group want. If other people want to organise adhoc events using this site and its facilities. Please do.

These planned events will give heaps of anglers a better chance to attend if they want by being aware of it a long way out. I for one require notice for anything and many other members have complimented this concept.

After this I am backing out of this discussion. Don't take this the wrong I am just heated as i thought it was time spent helping members with a medium to help make organising these socials easier. I'll let go now as i just want to enjoy them as a member and nothing more. This concept may not appeal to everyone but obviously it does to others so let's just see how it goes.

No this concept has been on AFO since 2006. We have just given it a little kick start to remind members of the ability of the AFO site to organise these socials and meetups

So I find it a little ironic that instead of focusing on making the exisitng comps more attractive, affordable, viable, and more people attending automatically increases to social aspect of the event,

We are always focussing on trying to make our AFO events better. Each year we put alot of effort into trying to do that.

AFO have chosen to increase the number of events.

No we haven't. The number of events, the locations the socials etc are all determined by the community. We aren't involved in this - these are community driven activities

Nothing has changed in the last few years, all we are doing is highlighting that you can use the AFO site to organise events yourselves.

These socials are not connected to AFO events as we are not the ones running, organising or driving them. We are just giving the community a little kick-start with initiating some socials and meetups through the AFO site. This has always been one of the goals of AFO - to create a living community of active members.

I have organised plenty of socials so far out of this site i don't see the diference with asking for a small donation to enter in a freindly competion between the members attending and outlining where it will be donated to. I have put my hand up to organise a couple of these events through the year and intend on running them in conjuction with the Wandrers group social and i know these weekends we have already done has brought more activity out of the members that have attended them.

Think thee socials will make it more of a community and make the afo events bigger and bigger I think it's great that the socials are run by members and really feel for angus and co. No matter what they seem to do they get shot down in flames. Also be thanks to the group that is organizing the SOCIALS muchly appreciated

The informality of it all is the difference that may attract the lurkers into participaters.

How many times have the tupperware navy put up a going fishing post that have turned into 10 or more yaks hitting a location for a fish and a beer afterwards.

Sometimes its a couple and if the planets align it looks like a full blown assault with the front runners getting out early getting it done and kreel turning up for the afternoon shift with his support crew later in the day as the shadows grow longer.

To then get everyone to kick in a couple of bucks to keep the site running is a fair ask and I doubt that AFO could be seen as culpable for anybodies actions out there, as there are enough disclaimers about, even stickers on my kayak telling me to be careful and its all at my own risk.

My thoughts.

The whole social group being started when AFO was looking for input and answers to some fundamental questions in my opinion detracted from what the questions were trying to achieve. Actually not sure that detracted is the right word maybe clouded, or confused or changed direction is better.

I agree that the socials are great but i dont see this as anything new. Its been done on here for a long time.

If the whole idea of the questions was to make AFO more sustainable rather than having $$ come out of the owners pockets then here are my thought.

These will combine the social ideas along with the usual planned current comps.

1. Run it like a CLub rather than a business. It can still run as a business in the background. People can then choose if they want to be part of the social club

2. Have organised fund raising days.

3. As for the club side of things. Call it AFO scoial club if you choose. Possible to have a member ship fee and then possible a slightly higher Guess membership if poeple dont want to contribute on a regular Basis.

4. Funds can also be used and raised for a end of year function.

5. The social club can then donate $$ back to the site for upkeep

For it to run correctly there would need to be a committee.

Particularily a treasurer, that can keep books so that everything is transparent.

Im happy to be involved in any planning and organisation that is needed.

Just my 2 cents worth for anyone that cares.

Richard

Guys...

The socials were on the cards weeks before. At the request of several members PMing me I decided to help kick it off. The overwhelming feedback in the surveys for social events was a conincidence, granted one that kicked me in the butt and got things rolling.

To totally seperate these "clouded" (not a dig shortie but a good discription of what I think has happened) views I am going to suggest the present "AFO contribution" (which was a suggestion of numerous AFO members never a request of mine or AFO) of these events be tipped back into the prizes and BBQ.

In further talk please of "The Future OF AFO" and these socials seperate. They are nothing to do with each other!

Angus

To totally seperate these "clouded" (not a dig shortie but a good discription of what I think has happened) views I am going to suggest the present "AFO contribution" (which was a suggestion of numerous AFO members never a request of mine or AFO) of these events be tipped back into the prizes and BBQ.

Angus

I don't think this is required, surely we as members of this forum can organise a few socials without it turning into a sh*tfight over whether it is AFO affiliated or not. How many people have been introduced to each other through the site and made great mates because of it? If you don't think it is a good idea simple, don't turn up! It is totally up to the organisers when and where and what target species, nothing to do with afo admin.

Well said ant but some of us were unlucky to meet a wog builder that decided to curse me and my gear lucky I didn't buy the dog he tried to sell me :P only kidding ant just stay away from my gear haha looking forward to these socials never the less
Who's that wog builder you speak of? And the dog is still here :whistle:

I love the sound of these events, but feel that there is also room for Anti-Social events also.

We all sit around swearing, telling dirty jokes, drinking too much, lying about our fishing prowess ... hang on that's Winter Camp.

hahaha

I love the sound of these events, but feel that there is also room for Anti-Social events also.

We all sit around swearing, telling dirty jokes, drinking too much, lying about our fishing prowess ... hang on that's Winter Camp.

Sounds like my kinda gig

sounds like every camp / event /social i turn up to :blink: :woohoo:

At the risk of being told 'If you dont like they idea then dont turn up' again, I just thought I would focus some of the recent discussions in other threads on here and see if they are still marrying up with what the AFO social group was intended to cover.

Since the social group theme has kicked off it now appears to have evolved into

1) A 12 month scheduled calender of events

2) A rolling total of points for each event

3) Trophies which appear to be for awarding at the end of the year

4) An entry fee to cover, prizes, bbq, site donation

5) Discussion on rules over bait types

Does this still sound like a social function that was meant to be just that and encourage newer or shyer members to attend without the pressure of a 'competition style' format?

Over a hundred members have joined the soical group and a good percentage of them i have never heard from before so in my opinion it has brought alot of new members along so before we shoot it down lets give it a chance

At the risk of being told 'If you dont like they idea then dont turn up' again, I just thought I would focus some of the recent discussions in other threads on here and see if they are still marrying up with what the AFO social group was intended to cover.

Does this still sound like a social function that was meant to be just that and encourage newer or shyer members to attend without the pressure of a 'competition style' format?

Over a hundred members have joined the soical group and a good percentage of them i have never heard from before so in my opinion it has brought alot of new members along so before we shoot it down lets give it a chance

Just relax and enjoy the shenanigans!

1) A 12 month scheduled calender of events This was an idea put forward to enable more members to get along to events, more socials mean more chance of getting newer members along

Rolling points 1 and 2 into one, this is simply a way to put a bit of fun into it and to encourage guys to get along to more of the events for a chance to get their name on the trophy

Put forward by the community as a way to make the socials more enticing and also to show our appreciation to AFO

Teething issues, at the end of the day bait or lure doesn't matter although it would be great to see some switching of styles to add to the challenge. I'll certainly be using bait if given the chance

Does this still sound like a social function that was meant to be just that and encourage newer or shyer members to attend without the pressure of a 'competition style' format? Yes I think so, the reality is that most suggestions put forward are a good way to get more people along and that's what the social club is all about.

I guess I just don't want to see any new ideas to be implemented at the detriment of the existing site events.
It won't be to the detriment of the existing events, you will still have a core group of people attending the official events with one or two extras at each one. The socials already have attracted the interest of members who may have thought about going to an event but not done so for whatever reason.

Just relax and enjoy the shenanigans!

I always enjoy the shenanigans

Archived