Lake Baroon 2/8/07

Feral

Well Got home from work about 2am, got up at 5am to get ready to go fishing. I am getting to old for night work! felt like a stunned mullet!

Ray rolled up with boat in tow about 6:30am, and off we headed to lake Baroon.

Bewdiful day, dam looked great, if down a bit from the last trip.

We headed off across the the creek with all the dead timber (the one your not allowed to fish in past the Rangers place). Fished the northern point with live shrimp for an hour or two. Got 18 Bass, 2 largest went 37cm.

Rau got most of the fish, picking up 12, I only got 4. But in my defense I was trying to actually catch something on a lure! The usual trick, every lure in the tackle box, even prawn stars, not a touch, while Ray was getting a either a fish or a missed bite for every live shrimp put on!

Anyway they went off about 9ish, so we headed off up the eastern arm trolling to try our luck, not a touch on lures all day, Ray picked up one of his smaller ones on bait in the creek with timber you are allowed to fish in! but that was the last fish of the day.

Gave it away around 1 o'clock and headed home. Sure beats being at work!

Nice plump baroon bass. Note all the comforts of home . Ni thermos of stewed tea for us . We like the fresh stuff and harris coffee bags. May have to look for a 12v microwave then we could cook fresh muffins also. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1010642_AFO-990c307b55c28700c06f62e37a80f239.jpg

post-230-14459842316_thumb.jpg

Fisher_90 wrote:

May i ask why u have 2 electrics on the boat?

Two motors stems back from the days when we were allowed to fish the NP. We were not allowed access untill 6am and quite often there would be a few boats queued up at the gate waiting for 6am. Dino and Ian used to get there at 5.30 to get first spot. Then it was a rush to launch and to get to the best spots so we used to drag race at 5kph and having 2 motors gave me an extra 1kph so with a bit of luck i could catch and pass them.

Now I use the bow mount with the auto pilot for trollong and use the stern mount for extra speed or an auxillary when the bow mount battery gets low. The bow battery is nearly 4 years old now and just holds up to a mornings fishing. Looks like a replacement is due soon.

Ray

Fisher_90 wrote:

May i ask why u have 2 electrics on the boat?

Because that is all there is room for. The more motors, the higher your speed. (Also more than one motor means your not rowing if something goes wrong)

Each motor requires at least one battery, usually at 30 kilo's or heavier, batteries for 2 motors equals about 1 person in weight!

Stu its a great dam. Its where i really learnt to lure fish. My first there include first trolled bass, first tassie caught bass, first lipless brank bait caught bass, first plastic caught bass and im sure a couple more.

The bass are not massive. But Lee has caught a couple of 50's there.

Angus

The bigger fish can be caught next to the weedbeds,look for pockets [gaps] in the weedbeds and fire a spinnerbait, jackal or a fly in there. Its a lot better in the warmer months. My PB for this dam is 51cm caught near dam wall Maleny side. Not many fish over 40cm in this. Well if there is they are hiding from me.

Dino

yeh dino its funny I have had 4 or 5 sessions there in summer where the fish have averaged well into the forties, and over a dozen over 45 cm caught, but I have also had quite a few sessions where 30 or 40 fish have been caught and not one over 40cm. it just a matter of locating a school of bigger fish.

Lee

Archived