Port Security - What's the go?

woody1

It must have been a slow day for port security today... I was fishing down around the mouth this morning, we were drifting along the wharves, keeping my 30m distance (probably more) from the wharves and ships as always. On about my 3rd drift, I noticed the port security boat coming over, I gave them a wave and carried on with my retrieve, as I got to the end of my drift, they were still sitting about 20 meters behind me. I motored back to the start of my drift and was followed the whole way. I motored over towards them to see what the go was, and they powered away, did a loop and came back behind me.

After that I decided to head up to luggage point, they sat beside me tho whole way! I went to speak with them again and they shot off towards boggy creek where they sat and watched me fish for over an hour.

I then moved to my next spot further up stream, they followed at a distance again and just sat 50 meters away. I wasn't catching much and was getting sick of being harassed without an explanation, so I went back to the ramp. When I got there, there was a port security ute sitting at Pinkenba ramp who watched my load the boat but took off once I got to the car park.

What the??? As far as I can tell I did nothing wrong, and if I did they had no intention of telling me what it was. Has anyone been harassed like this by port security? or have any idea why they were so interested in me?

and no... I wasn't wearing a turban :woohoo:

because they can,nanny state at it again.mate id be persueing this further.john

I will be emailing them to make sure I have the rules right, I cant find much on their website. I have always worked on: 30m from the wharves and ships, 50m from cruise ships and oil tankers, and run like hell from the U.S ships and subs.

I've personally had nothing but trouble with them, even though I maintain 30 plus meters at all times.

I think its the old security guard mentality, they think they are police and abuse the little power they have.

I read on another topic from another member that the cranes come out 40 metres from the terminal dock, so can be a good guide for the 30 plus metres.

ill test them out on sunday morning....

because they can,nanny state at it again.mate id be persueing this further.john

I will be emailing them to make sure I have the rules right, I cant find much on their website. I have always worked on: 30m from the wharves and ships, 50m from cruise ships and oil tankers, and run like hell from the U.S ships and subs.

Good luck getting an email back mate. I emailed them a couple of times to try and get rules and regulations for all areas they covered so I could post them up on my thread I started a while ago. Didn't get a reply. If you do get a reply could you please let me know so I can post it up. I could not see anything on their website about it.

Things must have changed a lot over the years.

I have always found them polite and friendly.

They do have a job to do and security of the port is their prime priority.

Have a yarn to Tugger about some of the irresponsible acts that some people get up to.

Their website used to provide all regulations about the different exclusion zones for different vessels in port.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks for that ray. Just did another google and found a bit of info.

/>http://www.portbris.com.au/AboutUs/Security/PortAccess

Waterside Access

Waterside access to operating wharves is restricted to 30 metres from the wharves or 30 metres from a vessel berthed at the wharf. These areas are protected under the Transport Infrastructure Act 1994 and the required Port Notice has been published. A maximum penalty of 100 points ($7,500) may apply for failure to comply with the Port Notice.

Waterside Restricted Zones may be activated under the Maritime Transport and Offshore Facilities Security Act 2003. The areas to be activated as Waterside Restricted Zones have been gazetted. Unauthorised access to Waterside Restricted Zones carries a penalty of 50 units (or $3,750). We conduct patrols of the waterside area with our patrol vessels, PortWatch 1 and PortWatch 2.

Under no circumstances is fishing allowed under any wharf at the port or within 30 metres of a wharf or a vessel located at the wharf.

In the interest of detecting and deterring any unauthorised activity within the port, we ask you please follow these rules and requests.

Dunno what the problem is. They didn't tell you to move on or contact you in any way. Maybe the guys in the port boat were mad keen fishermen and were watching you to see if you had some good spots. Giving them attitude will just result in them slapping a 100 meter rule on you while I continue to fish at 30.

be assured if there was a problem with what you were doing they would have had no hesitation in having a word.

Waterside Access

Waterside access to operating wharves is restricted to 30 metres from the wharves or 30 metres from a vessel berthed at the wharf. These areas are protected under the Transport Infrastructure Act 1994 and the required Port Notice has been published. A maximum penalty of 100 points ($7,500) may apply for failure to comply with the Port Notice.

Waterside Restricted Zones may be activated under the Maritime Transport and Offshore Facilities Security Act 2003. The areas to be activated as Waterside Restricted Zones have been gazetted. Unauthorised access to Waterside Restricted Zones carries a penalty of 50 units (or $3,750). We conduct patrols of the waterside area with our patrol vessels, PortWatch 1 and PortWatch 2.

Under no circumstances is fishing allowed under any wharf at the port or within 30 metres of a wharf or a vessel located at the wharf.

In the interest of detecting and deterring any unauthorised activity within the port, we ask you please follow these rules and requests.

Waterside Access

Waterside access to operating wharves is restricted to 30 metres from the wharves or 30 metres from a vessel berthed at the wharf. These areas are protected under the Transport Infrastructure Act 1994 and the required Port Notice has been published. A maximum penalty of 100 points ($7,500) may apply for failure to comply with the Port

The info re the different distances are also somewhere on their website .

$7500 fine is a bit more than a traffic infringement and not worth the risk for a fish.

I think it is also under federal law so a criminal conviction will also be recorded against your name.

They could make a fortune from the people who regularly fish between the tanker and the wharf at the BP terminal.

Here is a copy of an email from POB back in 2008.

Cheers

Ray,

Ray

Hello Raymond

there isn't a map available which designates that you can not fish as these areas may change due to security and safety issues for particular ships or projects continually changing within the Port.

The regulations state that vessels are not permitted in the following areas:

* Under any wharf

* Within 30 metres of any wharf

* Within 30 metres of any ship (except Cruiseships/Military ships/Fuel or Gas ships)

* Within 50 metres of any Fuel or Gas wharf

* Within 50 metres of any Cruiseship

* Within 200 metres of the dredge pump out areas around the dredge Amity

* Within 50 metres of any Waterside Construction site

* Any other area that may be deemed as a restricted area for any 'special event'

I hope this is of some assistance to you.

Regards

Neil Connell | Security Coordinator | Port of Brisbane Corporation

Locked Bag 1818 | Port of Brisbane QLD | Australia 4178

P +61 7 3258 4614 | f +61 7 3895 2417 | m 0431 506 283 | www.portbris.com.a

I was coming back into the river when an american sub was leaving a few months back, zoomed cameras were the least of my worries! The cops pulled up beside us, told us to stay as close to the docks as possible and DON'T SLOW DOWN

I'l let you know when they are in there next time Avatir

Twin 150's on the back of the boat, and an ability to zoom in to the rego on your boat and car. Avatir, let us know how you go :pinch:

Great way to win the Darwin award for 2012 :D

Silly thing is with the security of these harbours is how lacking in sense some of these rules are.

At Pearl Harbour when I was there you were not allowed for security reasons to take a photo on the bridge you cross to go to the Missouri, a bridge where you can see diddly squat, but when on the Missouri itself you can see the whole American Battle Fleet and are allowed to take photos there :S

Never had a problem with the port security boat, always friendly have driven up on the odd occasion and told me there is a ship due in X amount of time and could I be clear by then. Have constant problems with other people "fishing" though.

The few times that I have been out there I have seen boat well within the 30m exclusion. Last Wednesday night there was a half cabin anchored maybe 5m of the wharf and probably 20m behind the ship. Looks like they were drifting baits into the lit up area behind the ship.

Maybe the security element are just showing everyone their presence in case people have forgotten.

Fish late on a week night in stealth mode.

No security problem than :lol:

Hey woody we had same problem wgen the battleship was there a few months ago. Me n Seff coming back from the bay late at night and out of no where this little zodiac rocked up beside us. He was screaming something on his microphone. We slowed down and he said keep moving dont slow down. Also said if he saw us going up river hel give us a fine. Apparently whole area was an exclusion zone.

I would have motored over and enquired if there was a problem at all? Have a go pro running or phone recording in top pocket perhaps? If they drove off, it would have been pretty funny to follow them.

The website info is out of date too as a penalty unit has been $100 for about 4 years now.

never had a problem with Port Security or the cops down there .

been about that area in a boat quite a few times and many many time in cars before i was married .

oh way there was the one problem once ,we got a v8 hardtop bogged in the sand down there once and the cops would not tow us out .but in the end we got it out and the chicks home before curfew ;)

So thats why they had a go at me the other day

I was fishing outside the ships, so 30 metres from the wharf, but only about 5 metres from the ship and casting in between 2 to the wharf.

Naughty me :whistle:

Maybe a bit off topic but one thing that really pees me off if seeing people fishing in spots at the port where they should not be (including some members of this site). One day, everyone will get banned from fishing in that whole area because a few people can't stick to the rules. Sermon over.

Yanks have always been a bit touchy and certainly have a shoot first ask questions later kind of military. Even worse since the Cole and 911.

post-2225-144598832203_thumb.jpg

Had the coppers sicked onto me early one morning by one of the US warships a few years back. They weren't happy with me running along on a dreary morning just after dawn without lights. I guess I kind of fit the "look" enough to have made them nervous :lol:

Archived