Best route Scarborough to Tangalooma

Hey there if anyone is still awake. Just wanting some info on cruising to moreton isl from scarborough. I have a 4.25 ally navajo with a 40 yamaha 2 stroke with a 47lt under floor tank. Could i head straight over from scarb towards tanga without much drama or would there be a better route?

Hey mate, you can go straight across no worries. I have a 4.2 with a 40 on the back and it takes me about 45-50 mins cruising at about 22 knots. My 4 stroke uses under 20 litres for a round trip and some trolling so you will have enough juice. Just pick your days as I wouldn't try it in anything over 10-15knts because its a long bumpy ride back for our size boat. I am hoping to head out this arvo if the winds drop like it's forecasted too.

To tanga's you should just miss all the sandbars. If you want to go north a bit more ie curtain watch for any colour changes in the water and breaking waves. There are a few sandbars/channels that come up real quick and you may touch the bottom in the wrong tide and conditions.

Wish I had a 4 stroke, Bluevein.

My 40 2 stroke gets 2km/l in good conditions pushing a 4.2 ally runabout. Be careful Bradfisher. Take spare fuel at least.

I feel your pain, I use about 20l going to and from mud..I'd wanna take alot of fuel if I was going to moreton, especially in a 2 stroke

Where are you leaving from to head to mud? 20L seems like a lot of fuel to use?

Hi all thanks for all the great info. Went over saturday 25th. What a day 10 knots of wind there and around 8 knots back. Took missus and kids. Bit lumpy and bumpy here and there, small boat i guess. Found it a breeze over and back though. Wouldn't try it in anything over 10 knots with the 4.25 ally runabout, could become a little uncomfy. Glad i had the full front clears on too or we would have copped a splash of water now and again. In reply to the guys about fuel i have a 47 litre under floor tank, filled it before we went, got over there cruised around nth moreton a bit eg wrecks and tangalooma did a bit of fishin' with not much luck :( and a bit of trolling with not much luck :( came back to scarborough and had used around 20lt of fuel. 40hp yamaha cv. Sounds like i have reasonable economy. I sat on around 40 to 50 k all the way over and back :P . Anyways cheers to all and if your thinkin of doin the trip don't be afraid, just do your homework on weather, pack a tinny or two and have a great day out with the fam (or mates :whistle: but thats next time the fam just doesn't know it yet ;) )

My 40 2 stroke gets 2km/l in good conditions pushing a 4.2 ally runabout. Be careful Bradfisher. Take spare fuel at least.

I feel your pain, I use about 20l going to and from mud..I'd wanna take alot of fuel if I was going to moreton, especially in a 2 stroke

That time was from conslie.

Yesterday I went from nudgee ramp to the rock wall, motored around a bit following the tuna and returned to nudgee. Used about 10-12L

That time was from conslie.

Yesterday I went from nudgee ramp to the rock wall, motored around a bit following the tuna and returned to nudgee. Used about 10-12L

Ahhhh ok, that sounds more like it :)

Archived