flathead hotspots

fishingguru

Well obiously in the brisbane area, it is a site bout brissy fishing, as far north as donnybrook, to as far south as jacobs well.

no need to be a smart ass mate, this site caters for more then just brisbane, stretches far as north queeland and south to the border. with an attitude like that you'll be lucky to get any advice on hot spots.

Zman minnowz 3inch redbone have been working good for me.... the elaZtech material makes them real soft to give a very lifelike action as well as being very durable. A bit hard to rig up being so soft but you will get use to it. Fished the flats up at the sunny coast around cotton tree on the run out tide, worked around the draining sand bars and the deep gutters. Mostly small-ish flathead but there has to be some bigger ones around? Just keep the plastic close to the bottom with the paddle tail kicking along and you should get some.

Maybe I need to go and open an Ausfish account as i live further south than Jacobs Well.

Fishingguru,

The search forum will give you heaps of old posts about flatties and now is a better time than ever as flatties have been on the target list for alot of anglers recently. Old posts will give you the names and colours of plastics that people are using and doing well with. Locations also get mentioned, I only fish the goldy so can't help you up there in Brissy.

I mainly target flathead........either run in or out. Fish the side of the drop offs according to the run in the tide. Bounce the plastic back down the drop off to you with the direction of flow as flathead are an ambush fish they will use anything in the water to hide behind. Also I've caught70cm flathead in 2 foot of water twice so I think they move up on the banks in the morning to get up to temperature then feed, having said that they won't pass on a lure bouncing past there nose. They love mud and weed sitting in the patches of sand/mud between weed. When you have one on the line drop your rod immediately as they like to come straight to the surface and try to shake the hook. I've found that about 8-10 o'clock in the morning is prime. I've found that 4inch Minnow Pumpkinseed Powerbait is one of the best with a TT Head Hunter 2/0 hook and 1/6 Ounce lead........last weekend tried a 3.75 inch ZMAN with the same jig head and got 3 Flatty hope this helps

Cheers bri the pom, i dnt fish the goldy much, but iv landed a good flatty close to the mouth of currumban creek, also had good success with whiting, where do u normally go to

I mainly fish the seaway and broadwater area up past the pimpama river, I like to jig 7 inch plastics for the bigger girls in the deeper water. Not everyones cup of tea but i get a few that way.

You could try down at Lota, at the mouth of Tingalpa Creek. Pump a yabbie or two and fish the last of the outgoing tide - about 2.5 - 3hrs before low is the time to get there.

Let the yabbie or plastic drift along with the current and with some luck you'll hook up

Gcarj: yeah i drift the yabbie at lota creek, but a soft plastic? Dont you have to work the plastic to make it look like its live?

Not at all. I have fished in many places around there before and to memory 90% of the fish came when I was least expecting it, the plastic sitting on the bottom doing nothing. Sometimes the fish will like it more if you hop it or slow roll it. Whipping is a pretty common retrieve for flathead. It'll take some time before you master all different types of retrieves and lures and by then you will have opened the door for something more....Just try it. You'll be surprised when you pull up solid.

Archived