Fibreglass Boat Project

woody1

Hi all. I have a 14ft fibreglass boat with a 50hp 1973 evinrude I picked up a while ago off my old friend ebay. I will be working on it for the next few months so watch this space. I would love to hear any comments or tips you have.

Enjoy

Woody1

oh by the way, she has already been named - Woody1

I went through feral's post a while back and it actually inspired me to get off my ass and get into it.

Thats a great tip Ray. I was planning on fitting a new windscreen - it is actually off the boat at the moment. Taking it out to the water for the first time this saturday, so we will see how she goes

Took her down to Dohles Rocks ramp and got her in the water for the first time. We were very impressed with how the trailer handled the road. Got it up to 110 with no worries.

Boat slipped off the rollers on the way off, so will need to have a look at that, but went back on fine. It wasnt sitting on the trailer properly to begin with because it was winched on from the garden.

it was very stable in the water, was able to walk around and lean right over the side with no worries.

Her are some pics

We gave the outboard a good long run for the first time. It took a few goes to get it started but once it fired up, it stayed running.

As the pic above shows there was water splashing out of a few places, and no volumes of water squirting out like a telltale. When flushing at home water comes out from lots of different places up the leg, especially where the bolts for taking off the lower unit are. I suspect it has been pulled apart and not sealed up again.

Next step is to see if it is pumping water (i assume it has a thermostat) and probably pull the leg apart, check the impeller and seal it all up again.

Woody

Woody ; Thats normal to have water coming out of the holes in the leg.

The part where the leg bolts together does not have a seal and does not have to be .

Where you have water coming out in the pic is an one of exhaust outlets (your main exhaust is through thr prop) and it is also your only water \"Tell tail\". All the early motors didnot have a seperate \"tell tail\" coming out of the cowling.

Looks to be pumping fine in the pic.It does have a themostat (or it should have) .Do not remove it but if you are not sure of it replace it with a new one.,2 strokes like to run at a certain temp. too cold and it will foul up the plugs.

On another note, I'd put some nylon strips onto the boards (skids) . It will protect your hull from rubbing and make it easier to slide off.

Laurie

Archived