Rod sliced in half :-( ..... I'm so dead...help?

vicky

Ok... I'm so dead. :-(

I broke my rod (well I'm still saying that my boyfriend broke it coz I'm so upset hehehe but it wasn't really anyone's fault)

I was getting it out of the car boot, and the hook got caught on the material, Adrian reached over and unhooked it, but then the hook flew back in my face and I dropped the boot lid. Tried to get the rod out of the way, but it just sliced down on it and sliced straight through it. So now my top 20cms is ffaaaaaaaarked. :-(

I have to get this rod fixed, if it's the last thing I do!!!

I practically pried it out of my dad's fingers last time I was in Cairns. I've only had it for 3 weeks and used it twice. :-(

It's an old Daiwa - probably around 20 years old... but it was my dad's first rod... and then he gave it to me. :-( :-(

Where should I get it fixed? Can it even be fixed? I really need a great person to fix it properly and do a great job. :-(

GRRrrrrrr!!! I'm so annoyed at myself!!! (and adrian) hehehe.

jimmybob wrote:

that sux!!! not just because it broke..but cuz it was ya dads first rod!!!:ohmy:

be sure to give it a proper burial:(

And what is that James? Madly smashing your rod around ? Snapping it even further? :blush:

Sorry to hear about the rod vicky, as roobs said - you might be able to get a nibble tip on it.

Does \"nibble tip\" remind anyone else of Rex Hunt??

Yes Terry, it does. Strange but true. haha.:blink:

Vicky, Rayke1938 has a mate - John Ford, who does rod repairs. He's down the bay though, so might be out of your way. If you take it to a tackle store like The Tackle Warehouse at Coorparoo, they usually have someone that fixes rods. May or may not be worth it ???:(

Thanks cowfish, ellicat and terry. I was about to go see them at coorparoo. But then someone else recommended another shop to me on the northside so I dropped it in there.

It was so funny when I got there and told them what happened... we all had a good laugh. Even another customer there in the shop laughed as well. hehehe.

They explained to me as well that they can fix it so it will look brand new again... but it won't be as strong as originally. And the next half decent fish I get on it will snap it again. I said... whatever... just fix it. If dad comes down to brisbane and sees it broken I'm dead. hehehe.

Then they said, if it does break again, bring it back and they'll put a tip on it. It'll be stiff as hell, but at least I'll still have a rod.

What's a nibble tip?

You would have seen a nibble tip before. Basically, it is the clear white tip that you see on a lot of rods and is about 30cm long. It is very flexible and is usually seen on whiting rods (about 2-4kg). They come in different colours, but white (clearish) is the most common. The name nibble tip is commonly used, but they are also called a quiver tip.

a nibble tip is a really sensative rod end that helps you see really small bites... they're usually about a foot long and about thirty dollars. they make them in a lovely array of disgusting fluro colors and i believe they are good for finicky biters.. i've had good sucess with them for bream.

Vicky

Give john Ford a ring on 32068048 he has aeiund 100 used rods fir sale he may have an identical one or may be able to fix yours . He wont be home tomorrow morning as i am taking him fishing.

If you havent put the broken one in to be fixed he can fix it for you usually charges around 10 to 15 bucks to fix.

Cheers

Ray

vicky wrote:

Ok... I'm so dead. :-(

I broke my rod (well I'm still saying that my boyfriend broke it coz I'm so upset hehehe but it wasn't really anyone's fault)

I was getting it out of the car boot, and the hook got caught on the material, Adrian reached over and unhooked it, but then the hook flew back in my face and I dropped the boot lid. Tried to get the rod out of the way, but it just sliced down on it and sliced straight through it. So now my top 20cms is ffaaaaaaaarked. :-(

I have to get this rod fixed, if it's the last thing I do!!!

I practically pried it out of my dad's fingers last time I was in Cairns. I've only had it for 3 weeks and used it twice. :-(

It's an old Daiwa - probably around 20 years old... but it was my dad's first rod... and then he gave it to me. :-( :-(

Where should I get it fixed? Can it even be fixed? I really need a great person to fix it properly and do a great job. :-(

GRRrrrrrr!!! I'm so annoyed at myself!!! (and adrian) hehehe.

hi there vicky. loved your shot of the Shorncliffe jetty.

the bit about the hook in your eye sounded nasty. hope you're fine tho !

IMHO, since the rod has sentimental value. you could do 2 things. 1 thing is to just get the shop to trim the tip nicely and whip on another ring (the guide spacing will be messed up tho), or you could get the shop the re-build the whole rod with similar colour thread and style of binding tho.

Do remember 1 thing tho - any way you do it, the rod taper will be changed. but i do recommend re-building the whole rod if you intend to fish it. because if you merely stick a tip on it, the load points on the rod will be screwed up and place alot more pressure on some points of the rods - i could tell you where, but i'd need a picture to see. 20cm docked off a rod is quite abit sadly.

good luck with your rod tho ;)

Archived