Tuna & Whales

Luvit

After missing the winter camp due to work I was itching to get out on the water. Yesterday I took an RDO and headed off to see if the tuna were still around. Early start as usual and located the some tuna in about 40 minutes.

After positioning the boat my first cast only lasted a couple of seconds before I was on. A good fight saw a 1meter long tail in the boat.

post-11868-14459906288_thumb.jpg

I was very happy and set off in search of another. There was not that much feeding activity about but I did manage to follow some birds that gave me idea of where the tuna were. A couple of small splashes and I headed over but by the time the electric got me there the fish had gone down. Guessing they were still heading my direction I cast and let the soft plastic sink, I guess 5-10 seconds and I feel a small bump, I strike and the drag starts singing. This was the same size as the previous but it fought a lot harder taking good runs under heavy drag. The netting thing by yourself has been a bit of a problem so I tailed this on instead. No photo it looked the same as the other. :lol:

I have of golfer elbow (tendinitis) in my left elbow which I had strapped to help. In the video you will see how was using the right hand to give my left one a break. Once the second fish was in the boat I wanted to do some exploring for new areas and headed off to Moreton Island.

A lot km's latter I arrive and see 2 humpbacks in the bay. This a first for me and the experience was amazing. I am going to up grade the gopro hero1 to a 3+ or wait for the hero 4 because I was not happy with the quality of the underwater shots. they were so close you could have touched them. I was shaking so much I could hold the phone steady enough to video. :S

Here's a couple of shots.

post-11868-144599062885_thumb.jpg

post-11868-144599062889_thumb.jpg

I then headed off around the cape to get some shelter from the westerly and I thought I had spotted some tuna but when I got there it was dolphins and Whales. By the end of the day had seen a dozen plus whales and 5 that were breaching (jumping out). I would have liked to have got some photos however I was not keen on getting too close in my little tub.

Had an unbelievable day out and after telling the kids and showing them the video the first chance we get that the weather calm enough we will be out to see the whales again and take some photos.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRIwqcshMxQ&feature=youtube_gdata

Couldn't tempt the whale with a plankton imitation plastic on 2lb at all? :P

The old man saw a whale not far from the end of the bris river shipping channel last week.

Awesome day out, if you want a coupla spots not far from the cape for a few fish let me know.

When you stop working and start fishing again let me know. :silly:

You must be busy haven't seen you on here for a while, is work good? we'll have to catch up again.

I'm thinking of exploring Caloundra wide in the future. Just don't like carrying that many jerry cans on board.

Thanks for the offer on spots, if I get into bait fishing again I might just take you up on that offer. :)

Thanks Freedawg but still a long way off being a Tuna master, but you have to start somewhere.

I'm think I'm just on a lucky streak at the moment which I hope continues for a little while. There is still much to learn and time on the water is the best experience.

Thanks Freedawg but still a long way off being a Tuna master, but you have to start somewhere.

I'm think I'm just on a lucky streak at the moment which I hope continues for a little while. There is still much to learn and time on the water is the best experience.

We'll see if we can put a curse on that in the near future. :P

Wouldn't miss a day like that on the water for quids. Well done. B)

Archived