"The Jack Marathon": Online Competition

Angus

Sweet. I will sort out the leader board today in the first post.

More good news... The prize packs arrived from Fish Head and they are brilliant.

Duncan went well over the agreed upon value and these are not clearance lure but some of his best stock :) I will get pictures up tonight.

Thanks

Angus

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Guys ,

Region (North or South): North

Length Of Fish (cm):36.9cm

Photo Showing Length:

post-207-144598500249_thumb.jpgIMG_0286.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=75141]IMG_0290.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=75142]IMG_0295.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=75143]IMG_0300.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=75145]IMG_0362.jpg[/attachment]

Cheers

Josh >

Ok, so this entry won't count as I totally forgot about printing the item that was sent with the registration email but I'll post some pics up anyway..

I slapped a new rod together out of some spare bits n pieces I had lying around last week and I decided to head down the Goldie this arv to christen it....

Got on the water around 3:30 pm and by around 4:00 pm I had this little guy on the deck and the new rod christened....

post-11441-144599083599_thumb.jpg

post-11441-144599083606_thumb.jpg

In the next hour or so I got another 3, 2 went low 30 cm's and one in the 20's, small but the right species......no pics as they weren't that exciting...

At around 6:00 pm I decided to switch to surface, within around 10 mins I got this angry little fella, very small (around 25 cm at a guess) but I took a pic cos any size jack on surface is cool.... B)

post-11441-144599084003_thumb.jpg

Appart from a few good bumps that I didn't convert that was it for the afternoon/evening..

Cheers,

Al

PS, well done to cobiaaddict for kicking the comp off with a few nice little fish..

You guys make it sound easy and a good reminder to take the print outs.

I have not target Jacks yet but this thread is going to get me out there soon. Such a great looking fish in photos.

If you need any of those sample rods tested out Tuna Freak I'll be happy to help you out :silly:

Far from easy Wayne, for me anyway.....I always attract the midgets too, I've caught plenty over the years but my pb is only 48 cm, have taken mates out and they've plonked 50 cm + plus models on the deck but the big fellas have eluded me thus far......

I'm also terrible when it comes to catching them in natural habitat, I do much better in canals/man made structure...

For reference the fish I caught yesterday were caught on the following lures, zman 4" swimmerz red shad 3/8 headlocks, lucky craft pointer 78 shallow (MJ herring I think) and gobo popper....

Water temp was at 29+ deg C so nice and hot to get them feisty red heads fired up.

We might have to tee up a sesh Wayne, high chance you'll get a 50+ with my luck ;)

Cheers,

Al

Region: North

Length Of Fish 1 (cm): 42cms

Length Of Fish 2 (cm): 36.5cms

Length Of Fish 3 (cm): 32.5cms

Photo Jack 1:

42cm.jpg

42cm2.JPG

Photo Jack 2:

36.5cm.jpg

36.5cm2.JPG

Photo Jack 3:

32.5cm.jpg

32.5cm2.JPG

Report:

Well Better late than Never!! Cobiaaddict a mate Bryan (who waited too long to register for this competition doh!!) and myself headed up north of Brisbane for a weekend of Jack fishing! Although it wasn't as good as previous trips we still managed 12 Jacks between us for the long weekend. We also managed 2 Barra, a grunter and numerous baby cod and flathead. Unfortunately day one saw me catch a Jack and I left my bloody comp form back at camp! lucky I caught another 3 the next day ;) All my fish were caught on my new second hand Reel I picked up when I was in Japan a couple of months ago. A Shimano antares AR! beautiful reel which I matched up to a rovex airstrike 8KG rod. I was a little dubious about the rod to begin with seeing it sells for as little as $50! but was quite impressed, I even managed to "snag" a couple of decent sized Rays which came to the boat quite easily.

All Jacks over the weekend were caught on 4" plastics fished weedless except for one which hit a hardbody, there would have been a good 6 fish which didn't hit the hooks due to being weedless, better that then loosing heaps to the structure!

Angus, I hope I have laid this post out correctly! let me know if it needs work.

Cheers

Brandon (aka S-K-I-P-P-A).

Additional Pics from Weekend:

My first Jack not counted.

Jacknocount2.JPG

Nuggs 45cm Jack:

Jackbryan.JPG

Nuggs pretty Jack:

Jackcolours.JPG

Toothy Jack:

Jacksmile.JPG

Pooping Jack!:

Jackpoop.JPG

Ok so a couple of entries for the Southside.... :cheer:

Have been fishing the Gold Coast a bit since I got back from a trip to Weipa in October and have really been struggling to nail any Jacks....I was putting it down to catching my fair share in Weipa which has diluted my average down here.... So getting away reasonably early from work this arvo and still a bit of light left and a low tide approaching I thought I would try locally to see if could nail an elusive Bayside Jack.....I have caught a few over the years locally both on rod and reel and in the cast net so they are around......and besides I couldn't do any worse than I have been lately down the coast....

Been a last minute decision to go it was going to be a solo run.......dropped the boat in and set off looking for some decent structure and bait. Didn't take long to notice the amount of bait and jelly prawns in the water which had my confidence high...( I think this plays a big part ).......with the tide slowing just before the turn of the tide I knocked the boat out of gear about 50yds before the first bit of decent structure and dropped the leccy in..... A quick check of the 20lb Fluoro leader and loop knot tied to the 3/8 TT Headlock Jighead. the Zman Diesel Minnowz splashed down an inch or two from the structure......I had a good feeling everything was just right....it was hot and humid and the mossies were buzzing around.....bait was flicking on the surface all around the structure. the first few casts were uneventfull as I silently motored along the bank casting at every bit of structure that I could see both sticking out of the water and on the Humminbird side scan....I was starting to drift off a bit but concentrating enough to make each cast count and every retrieve deliberate.... it was just as I was thinking I could be anywhere in Australia and thinking to myself that even a rare Brisbane Barra could turn up here that I was jolted out of my daydream with the rod loading up and the 30lb fins peeling off the Calcutta.......This was no Cod or Flatty that all too often get the heart going for a split second.....I knew what I had hooked and put as much pressure as I could without popping the leader.....A couple of short bursts and I had the upper hand.....the flash of red under the boat confirmed it was a nice Jack once it got closer I could see the hook was just pinned under the jaw so I bit of fancy net work and he was on the deck!!

It was a good feeling to finally get one in the boat after 3 or 4 donut trips lately....and it was a solid fish too.....I quickly wet the brag mat and slipped the fish on to confirm a neat 50cm.......I took a quick snap of the fish with the Comp Item and promptly got him back in the water......I don't mind taking a jack for a feed every now and then but the location this fish was caught ensured he went back as healthy as possible......

Thinking I was extremely lucky to nail one fish I almost considered packing up and heading home but with the tide still yet to turn and some daylight left I kept fishing....moving along the bank a bit further and it wouldn't have been another 10 mins and I had another solid hit.....this fish ran straight at me shaking its head which had me thinking it was a flatty until it dived under the boat and started peeling line again...... very quickly another jack popped up nowhere near the same class as the first fish but any Jack this close to home is a good one....popped him on the brag mat for a photo and he went 34cm.....to say I was stoked would be an understatement!!!

Jacks are always a special fish to catch but these 2 fish so close to home and caught off natural structure are just that little bit more special......

Region: South

Length 1 : 50cm

Length 2 : 34cm

post-8786-144599084531_thumb.jpg

post-8786-144599084545_thumb.jpg

Righto, so I didn't forget my item this time so this'll be a valid entry, no bigger than the last one I got but at least it counts this time....

Region : North

Length of fish : 39 cm

post-11441-144599085619_thumb.jpg

Report : Hit the GC canals again early on Wednesday morning, I threw some poppers around for the first couple of hours, got some follows and had a couple of decent fish roll on the lure but no hook ups.....changed to plastics around 5:30 and got my one and only fish for the morning at around 5:40-5:45.......the rest of the morning was very slow, saw a few jacks hanging off pontoons but couldn't entice them to eat.....might go for a local fish next time and see if I can come up with the goods...

Cheers,

Al

I've got a spot in mind that I think should have some jacks at so hopefully I might head out for a jack session this weekend. Still contemplating whether to go in the yak or boat. Only thing that is making me lean more towards the yak is that I won't be inclined to drive past snags to go further afield!

James

haha that's a good point :lol: Only problem is that one nice looking launch spot will be only good for yaks and if I want to get the boat there it will be a big drive there. If the wind doesn't look too bad I might head out Sunday. (Gotta stock up on gear and new shirt tomorrow :P )

James

Region :North

Length Of Fish :52cm

Slow hopping Jackall transams in the mawashi colour on a rock bar managed to drag out this beauty

on 20lb braid and 15lb leader along with 3 others from 34cm up to this at 52cm. Did catch a lot of bi-catch including tarpon flathead grunter bream and big eye trevally. Was a awesome session with me and a mate having a double hook up on jacks. And it finished up with us catching between the two of us a total of seven jacks.

post-14805-144599087773_thumb.jpg

All these storms have fired up the jacks over the last couple of days!

Brett donated an FCL stickbait to a big red dog yesterday evening at one of the lake outlets on the coast and we have had a few other reports coming in too.

These steamy evenings and early mornings are just right for a bit of action (especially topwater), so now is a great time to get on the board with the comp!

Cheers

Duncan

• 2 weeks later...

G'day to all AFO,ers out there, Well i'm officially entering the challenge with a nice little jack caught this morn on the coomera with a z-man minnowz in motor oil colour, weedless snake head jig, 10lb braid. Fishing hard up against the boats and pontoons in the canals fighting wind and current (was lots today) saw thw little red devil swim out then back in as i approached stethfully in the yak gently lowered the plastic right in front of him about 10 inches under the surface and with no hesitation he nailed it on the drop (wish i could have caught it on camera). Stoked to have got one after losing quite a few and finally getting in the comp with a reasonable fish. Good luck to all in the comp and if i don't see you before x-mas have a safe and enjoyable one and well catch up in the coming new year cheers ezy.

mangrove jack 40cm ezy coomera river (off pontoon) z-mzn minnowz motor oil weedless snake head jig 10lb braid

post-2144-144599090435_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived