Glass vs Ally boats

Gazza

I've put this up for fun guys and girls

I know we all have our preferences :P

but thought it would be a good read :woohoo:

Ok here we go

small boats : bashing rivers dams creeks etc

Ally are the way to go without a doubt

Bay boats this is a grey area yes they will handle it np but be prepared to get wet ally boats imo lack the abillity of a flared bow to punch water to the sides like a glass boat can so ally's tend to shoot water upwards and any cross breeze and you are wet :angry: hate getting wet lol ( more will be explained later)

getting into the offshore type of boat 18ft plus (Mackmauler is an exception feel free to comment:woohoo: )

I've been out in a couple of plate boats yeah the handle the ruff stuff but BANG BANG even on a small chop noisey and rough due to the lack of wave cutting ability (no flare)

The ally cats fair a little better but have a look at a cat it's cab is so far further forward to avoid the spray in comparison

a glass boat with a good flared bow will give a far more comfotable ride and drier

these are only what I have experinced

I will watch this with interest to see what others say

Cheers

Gaz

Yeah we get wet in our ally 5.4m centre consol out in the bay alot. Doesn't help with a 20kt wind either. Gets pretty cold during winter:angry:

But ally's still are better to run up on gravel and sand at boat ramps and the like because they don't get the hairline cracks like glass boats do.

Glass boats are better for stealth fishing as they are quieter (shallow water Snapper sp fishing, luring for Bream, etc).

Everyone has a personal preference:)

Aloy boats can most certainly get hairlines cracks. I've had them in mine. Pulled my floor up and had to get a major structure job done to prevent further damage. Lucky i met a guy who builds boat for Mako. Did a cashy for me. Bloody lifesaver. There are positives and negatives about both fiberglass and aloy boats. You just gotta pick the one that suits your needs.

well put nasty mind;)

i am a glass man myselfB) i have never been too keen on bashing around getting wet when only 1 ft off the water,

i also like to stand up when i fight a good fish :P

my boat is a glass 17ft and i can still beach it and get it back out again without having to move from my seat,

i can also troll in 3ft of water,

my misses can even drive it on to the trailor so she doesnt have to get wet.

moast people stay away from glass boats bec they think they are heavy and they think you cant launch and retreve them by yourself but as long as you have a good set up it is acctualy ezyer,

i usualy have my boat on dry land and packing up while moast people with tinnies are still there winding like crazy:blink:

moast tinnie owners look at my boat and say i dont want a boat like that because its too big and heavy and i just dont like glass boats:angry:

i say they do and they just cant afford it;)

lol

This should be put into three catergories

fibreglass

pressed alloy

plate alloy

I went from a pressed alloy hull to a plate alloy and there is a big difference.

The plate alloy is more stable, way more dryer, and just as heavy as a fibreglass boat.

But it is louder then a fibreglass boat.

rumrunner,

It's probably the case you can't hear what others are saying about your boat after destroying the peace with the 80db of nuisance factor you've been blasting yours and everyone else's ears with.:P

Personally I never leer over small glass boats - would much prefer the versatility of my tinnie to attack the salt and the fresh.

I stand up in mine too without anymore wobbles than in a glass. The fuel consumption to move the boat and the towing vehicle is much lighter than a glassy. The only time I've got wet was when a wave came through the open windscreen:woohoo:

Any of course I'm going to like an ally;):P :laugh:

just as i said moast people cant afford to buy or to run a boat like mine so they bag it instead,

you also cant run a sound system like mine in a tinnie. lol

it does come down to personal prefrence and mine is to have a boat that can do everything inc pump 80db of music (90db+after the new speakers and amp)

lol

Fisher_90 wrote:

I could put a sound system like yours in a tinnie if i want, whats stopping me?

why would you put a $1500 stereo in a tinnie:blink:

eg:skipping, get wet, cant here it anyway, nowere to put it or mount speakers,i can go on but it is way off the subject of the post:huh:

so i will say i also think glass boats are much ezyer to repair and make it like new again;)

ellicat wrote:

Do us all a favour and buy some earplugs:P :laugh:

No-one's bagging your boat rumrunner - it suits what you want from it I guess.

It'd have to be past caring before I'd want to be rubbing it up against trees in a dam though:blink:

good point i didnt think of that:huh:

but i dont fish in dams! i use dams for skiing and tubing usualy, but i will give it a go;) so next time your going let me know and ill tag allong if ya can handle the music? lol

ps: this is a joke ok:laugh:

:ohmy: Oh Gazza what have you done, I bet you're sitting back laughing your ass off:laugh: I know I am.

:blink: 80db's damn, I must remember not to invite you for a STEALTH fishing mission, The fish at Mud would hear us coming from the Colmslie ramp:P .

As for the price of Fibre to Alloy (you cant afford a boat like mine attitude) it's a bit school boyish to me. Something like my pecker is bigger than yours:laugh: :laugh: If you catch my drift?

I have a tinny, Because thats what I wanted. As a first boat buyer I was scared of fibre rot(I dont know what to look for:blush: ) so Fibre was out for me. Budget did'nt factor in my decision between the two. As for the better between the two I dont know. Different strokes different folks.;)

Keep safe

Jayson

I hear you rumrunner.

I mean... I hear you!!! lol

I wish i had a fiberglass boat

In fact i've come close to buying a 25 foot flybridge.

Champayne taste on a beer budget you know.

If i did, i'd be driving a hilux, not a prado. hehe

I've thought about putting more doof into my doof doof, but then i'd just have another thing to maintain.

I'm happy with my am/fm and speakers. (cd player soon) (maybe even digital... whoah!!!) haha

I could afford to buy a 25 foot Bertram, but not run one and where i'm from it was handy to have a boat to chase some barra and jack up the creeks as well as getting out to the G.B.R.

So my 5.5m will do till i win lotto.

Can't wait to have a squiz at your rig.

I love to fantasize.

Should organise a ski and tube day sometime.

Would be fun

AND IM STILL LMAO!

its good to see some 1 out there getts my jokes!

i would love to have both a tinnie and glass boat and just abuse the hell out of the tinnie?

but i dont think i would use it because i allready do that to my glass boat. lol

a ski/tube day sound great nasty 1 we will have a chat about it when we catch up on the weekend!

Sweet. The weather's looking great.

I'm not fussed on how far offshore we go on Saturday.

It's up to you guys.

I'll give your phone a ring on Friday to get some details off you.

Because i'm not a local i don't know boat ramp locations.

If you can get me a street name that would be great.

It all comes down to the street nav then

Mmmm.. well this sort of degenrated into a p!ssing competition about stereos and decibals rather than glass versus alloy.

It shorses for courses, what one person puts as high on their priority list when looking for a boat may not be high on others. Some people have limited budgets and some dont.

Personally, I dont care what size boat I go to next, it will be alloy again, and yes I have had glass including a 5.5m Haines. Alloy is lighter, easier to handle on and off trailers, less maintenance, and better resale value. But thats all in my opinion and yours may be different....

personally i like my 2 grand hunk of 80s fiberglass junk, i bash across the bay a fair bit its way more comfy for that than my old quintrex, which i havent used in a year and i still cant sell, it went to the gbr, offshore grounds at southport, and had a doof doof from hell in it then i grew up . but as you get fatter glass gets nicer lol. i cant afford to run to the locall shops but still manage to get out all over the place every other day or so. either way im still waiting to catch a fish and its whether your out there or not that matters. i saw a dolphin yesterday who else did :woohoo:

Now I feel so inadequate :( maybe I should throw myself in the path of the next train :ohmy: as I only have a pressed ally boat with a little tiny portable radio with one speaker that you can bearly here over the scream of the reel as some big guppy peels line off:laugh: :laugh: :dry:

Please no Karma busting as I stated it's only for fun :)

and as a tool for people who have never owned a boat and would like read peoples likes and dislikes about boats to help them make a decission as to what to buy

Maybe I should start a different thread

What I love and hate about my boat ;) make model motor type how it handles etc

Gaz

What I dont like about all boats is the horrendous profit margin on boats and motors!

It seems everything to do with boats involved huge prices.

Boat motors, for similar motors on the road you get a whole motor bike for less money with more grunt!

For the boats, by the time a bare hull gets \"options\" installed, it goes from about $1500 to $5000 plus!

I agree with you Totally Feral u put marine in front of it and the price trebles :angry:

My experience so far with my boat

I can buy a so called marinised long motor (inboard 350 chev) for about 3850 I can buy the same 350 long motor for under 3000 the only difference is a stainless head gasket .

I think this is were the problem lies.

with a raw water cooling system like the older boats ran the head gasket was prone to errosion :angry: after a while failing letting raw sea water into your motor and killing your engine /this what happened to mine and Havarest's

:pinch: fresh water sterndrive motors use raw water to cool the fresh water that cools the engine via heat exchangers so the raw water does not actually cycle through the engine so there is no need for a so called marinised engine :angry:

opps nearly forgot they have a SS water pump big deal

I'm holding off to buy a fresh water cool'd motor so if I ever need to replace it I can buy a stock non marinised motor and for 100 bucks get a ss raw water pump

Gaz

It's a dry argument! What do I mean?

The best boat is a boat that floats for one point, something that stays on top of the water, be it glass, plate, tinny, poly or timber.:)

Second point is the best boat is the one matching the need. I love using my tinny in the albert just floating on the tide. It's a dry ride because there are no wakes or swells to deal with so the glass boat is not needed.

I use my glass boat in the bay because it keeps me dry. My tinny, while safe enough, is not best option for the spot, it'll do it but not as comfortable. I like a dry run home.

Going out side my glass boat not perfect, while it is safe and will do the job, the bang factor is way up there. This will have something to do with the WOT position I operate at but who cares, it's my fuel and the 60hp 4 stroke uses bugger all. No matter what speed it is still a dry ride.

So each for there own need, use the cheapest and easiest boat that will keep you dry, assist the fishing and get you there safely. Stereo or not.

BTW Elli I put my glass boat in some heavy timber, I do care but I care more for fish. I do most harm running it up on ramps.

Archived