Hervey Bay Fishing Trip

Ge_off

Cracka bone there Geoff. Trophy fish for sure. You're only the second person I have heard of to catch a bone over here. I never knew they were here till a bloke pulled one in on Fraser a few yrs back. I thought they were a WA species,  like DUI's. 

Well done on all the fish. 

2 hours ago, aussie123 said:

Moreton Bay and the beaches on Straddie have Bonefish.

A guy fishing with us one day caught a large one at Boat Rock and about 2-3 years ago, a massive spawning aggregation was discovered at Heron Island.

They can turn up anywhere in SEQ.

Well there you go. 

All the years fishing this area and no one I know (all 4 of them 😄) has ever caught one,  or even spoken about them. 

You'd think they would be a more popular target species around here. 

6 hours ago, Junky said:

Cracka bone there Geoff. Trophy fish for sure. You're only the second person I have heard of to catch a bone over here. I never knew they were here till a bloke pulled one in on Fraser a few yrs back. I thought they were a WA species,  like DUI's. 

Well done on all the fish. 

Hi Junky, I wish I could take the credit for the bone fish but it was the misses, AKA the Finance minister, She out fished me bad for the week, I did get the King thready before she out did me by 1cm with a blue salmon thready. I couldn't win a trick. hehehe.

Bonefish seem to be an incidental capture around these parts. They are in numbers up at Hervey Bay but only deep and not on the flats like other Bonefish destinations. 

If you could find a consistent shallow water Bonefish fishery you'd have alot of international sport fishos tearing down your door to get at them. Awesome fish on fly, go like stink....and slippery 🙂

P7180133.thumb.JPG.fe74b427012d875dadcaaf1c86cc39ba.JPG

On 17/05/2019 at 9:23 AM, Nog said:

If you could find a consistent shallow water Bonefish fishery you'd have alot of international sport fishos tearing down your door to get at them. Awesome fish on fly, go like stink....and slippery 🙂

oh nice one. I should have read down the page before asking. Nice fish mate. 

On 13/05/2019 at 10:40 PM, Ge_off said:

Over the week we caught lots of fish species we don't get on the Tweed River, I caught my first King Thread fin, sadly it was only 57cm (legal size is 60cm) and in a matter of minutes the misses lands a Blue Thread Fin Salmon at 58cm, it turns out we could have kept that one "NOOOOOOOO" . Most of our fish was under sized except a Flathead, We ate that one. No Coral Trout or Barra this time round, but we did get a lot of other little reef fish including a Bone Fish.

Great work mate. Sounds like a cracker of a trip. Thanks for the report. Makes me want to head up there tomorrow... 🙂

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 8:22 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

I was going to ask if you were aware of this fish when you caught it? My dad used to have fun releasing them when we caught them in our canoe at Hervey Bay as kids ......... 🙂 Lots of variety there mate, well done!

Hi km, No , we had no idea as never caught one before, It was caught on the edge of the reef behind Woody Island on a bit of salted bonnie.