Camping around Jumpinpin

Proffs

Hey everyone,

just wondering if there is anywhere around Jumpinpin that you can just pull up in your boat, set up tent and stay for a bit? Spend the WHOLE weekend at the pin sorta thing??:huh: I've slept on my tinny heaps of times B) but theres not much room for anyone else! :laugh:

Here is my post from another site....edited!

I am a pretty regular visitor over to South Straddie in the boat and often gone for a few days.

Quick rundown of it all for you and anyone else is as follows.

Great 4 lane ramp at Jacobs Well with parking, can get a bit full during summer months. Invest in a trailer lock ($25 locks car to trailer) and park against the wall near the camp grounds. Its under flood lights there and also has occupied cabins looking over the cars, so people are not too sure if the the car belongs to the people sitting on the deck of the cabin. There is no cost for parking or launching there.

Bait and tackle shop is right on the ramp and sells ice, there is also a bottle shop and small supermarket just across the road from the ramp for any last minute forgotten things.

It depends on where you camp on South Straddie as to whether you need to book and costs involved. Places like the Bedrooms and Tipplers advertised on this website

/>http://www.caravancampingnetwork.com...mpgrounds.html

say that there is a fee, and I suppose for electric BBQs and toilets there would be. Personally I camp just north of Pandanus Island on the sandy beach there. Only amenities there are rubbish bins. I think there may still be a fee to camp there ($17.50p/person pernight) but I never seem to be at camp when the ranger comes ;-)

Take a look at Nuggets map of Jumpinpin.

Also if you have Beacon to Beacon then take it or copy the relelvant pages as navigation can be a little tricky out there as you are running down stream from Jacobs Well towards Tipplers Island and then upstream once around the bend, so your beacons change sides. Its a great trap for young players.

Anchoring boats so they are always in the water can be a bit tricky with big tides. I use a 75mtr anchor rope which is fashioned in such a way that I can drag the boat in and out using it while the anchor remains 20 metres or so away from the bank. PM me and I can explain it if you want.

Hope thats of some help to you... Enjoy your time out there and I am looking at getting my hands on a AFO Flag somehow to hoist when at camp as others are more than welcome to come and say hello.

Bootyinblue,

That's bloody tops mate!! :woohoo: Karma to ya! Sounds like you have a lot of answers to a lot of the questions I have. :P I think we might have to have a fish down there when your next free so I can lay em all on ya. I'm pretty free for the next couple weekends (not this one tho) so if your keen let me know. Thanks heaps mate,

Proffs

*I heard the five ways near there can produce good fish too

I have camped down the pin quite a few times and think its a great option for a night away. Usually i camp on the nth straddie side of curose island. There are heaps of spots to camp there but no toilets, bins etc there. As you get further towards the pin bar end of the island the water becomes very shallow making anchoring a little harder so your boat is still floating in the morning. This area is pretty popular so if the weather is good expect a lot of campers along there. I believe this area is free to camp but don't quote me on that. I have never seen a ranger of any sort there to date. Hope this helps you a little proffs.

Archived