New Idea For Boating Forecasts

GregOug

1 minute ago, GregOug said:

Was just looking at the BOM for the Moreton Bay forecast for the following week. Then an idea came to me. Instead of having to scroll through 15-20 knots, seas over a metre etc they should précis it:

Monday: **** turning to oh ****. 
Tuesday: the normal **** 

Wednesday: a little **** followed by a bigger ****

etc

etc

Because that’s what the next week looks like!

Seabreeze was originally for wind surfers. Their 'wave height' is the surf height or swell height, so the other side of Straddie for Brissy. You can pretty much ignore this for the Bay, where it is the wind-caused chop you need to know about and can guesstimate from the wind strength.

So Saturday and Sunday should be sweet. Especially by the reliable Meteye site.

945653233_meye.JPG.2b9cdc42c4e8e2769359aca0917367d8.JPG

@GregOug Inside the Bay i pretty much just ignore wave height because it is largely protected by the islands or you will be able to find a protected spot  behind a smaller bay island (Otherwise i'd never be able to get out since i'm limited to Sat/Sun)

Mainly just look at wind,  tides (for tide directions) to work out how much potential chop there will be on my run out in the morning and run back in. I'll plan the start and end of my sessions around wind/tide (for when i expect the least amount of chop).

As @ellicat mentioned outside top of Cape you would have to factor in wave height and wave periods or for me risk starting an infinite burley trail 

12 hours ago, Hweebe said:

@GregOug Inside the Bay i pretty much just ignore wave height because it is largely protected by the islands or you will be able to find a protected spot  behind a smaller bay island (Otherwise i'd never be able to get out since i'm limited to Sat/Sun)

Mainly just look at wind,  tides (for tide directions) to work out how much potential chop there will be on my run out in the morning and run back in. I'll plan the start and end of my sessions around wind/tide (for when i expect the least amount of chop).

As @ellicat mentioned outside top of Cape you would have to factor in wave height and wave periods or for me risk starting an infinite burley trail 

Okay. Thanks guys. Just a bit misleading when it says Brisbane at the top.

On 18/06/2020 at 7:07 AM, ellicat said:

So Saturday and Sunday should be sweet. Especially by the reliable Meteye site.

Hi ellicat

😞 It just so happens that I was trying to convince Dad to take me fishing at the POB area (second yak voyage there - maybe do some whiting fishing with the crab pots soaking while we wait) but unfortunately he's still tied up with work (part of the reason Cavvy hasn't been online for so long! LOL) 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

18 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Bummer. It was a beaut day on the water. Even managed a couple of finned critters.

Hey ellicat

That's good to hear, were they enough for a feed (or are you/will you be doing a report). 

Also, GregOug, like ellicat said, bummer you couldn't get out. I was busy with some school stuff and was at a mates, hence the reason I wasn't on the river. 😆

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

18 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey ellicat

That's good to hear, were they enough for a feed (or are you/will you be doing a report). 

Also, GregOug, like ellicat said, bummer you couldn't get out. I was busy with some school stuff and was at a mates, hence the reason I wasn't on the river. 😆

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

I'll put up a little report later.

@GregOug, I'm heading out again tomorrow with Steve (Old Scaley) leaving from Raby Bay around 6.30ish. If you wanted to tag along for the day feel free. I'm sure between the 3 of us we could organise a trailer reverser to help out. Weather is not looking great but we'll just slow down and if it gets too uncomfortable we'll come back.

4 minutes ago, ellicat said:

@GregOug, I'm heading out again tomorrow with Steve (Old Scaley) leaving from Raby Bay around 6.30ish. If you wanted to tag along for the day feel free. I'm sure between the 3 of us we could organise a trailer reverser to help out. Weather is not looking great but we'll just slow down and if it gets too uncomfortable we'll come back.

Good luck tomorrow ellicat and Old Scaley! 🙂 

15 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Thanks mate but the weather tomorrow doesn’t look very enticing at all. We’ll get out there eventually.

Hey ellicat

Great, thanks for that. Dad has said it's OK, so we will need to finalize a date for sometime. 🙂 

I'm not getting to cocky though, I think if anything I'll be the one getting shown up, LOL. Also, it's good there is good reception out there, because if Dad doesn't end up coming (I think he wants to go the first time, but mainly to try and out-fish me) I can give him a ring. 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

12 hours ago, ellicat said:

If he can't come we could invite someone else along like @Old Scaley or @GregOug or @Drop Bear so you could show the old blokes what we're doing wrong. Haha

I'm in for surgery on Wed 24th, You will have to count me out for 2 months. 

I hope to read about your successful snapper trip very soon. 

9 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I'm in for surgery on Wed 24th, You will have to count me out for 2 months. 

I hope to read about your successful snapper trip very soon. 

Hi Drop Bear

That is a pity, best of luck with the surger, like GregOug said. Hopefully you can recover well so you can get out for a fish 🙂 

Cheers Hamish