Brisbane River Session #45 And #46

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Cool fish! What line you running? 

I don't jetty fish much but have to say I don't think I've cleaned up blood 😳 Fish blood and squid ink on the jetties here are part of the furniture. A good indication to see when the squid are on too. 

It seems I'm missing the etiquette! I know now. Thanks 

Hey samsteele115

Thanks, the perch seem to be unique to the rivers around here, and as for the breambo he was a shock as he was right up the top of the net. Probably gouging himself on prawns. I use 12lb and 14lb mainlines on my lighter lines, one of which I use for cod/breambos/flatties, and the other I use for perch, and catfish. I use 20lb black magic fluorocarbon leader. On my salmon line, I run 30lb mainline, 30lb leader, and 80lb mono trace. I've still been done on that, but I think any heavier and I may lose the 'sporting' element. Lol. 

I simply clean it so someone doesn't complain to the council, then they shut it off to me. This has got to be my favourite place to fish, and especially to spend outdoors too. I wish there were squid there, LOL, but in the murky waters of the river a squid would have to be as disoriented as my brother to be up there! 

Some more memorable sessions were #5, #16, #21, #25-26, #32, and #37 I believe. Other than that, a lot of my sessions are for diddly squat, or just catfish and perch (the perch are the worse pickers on the salmon line when using prawns).

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Mate that's awesome! Is the 80lb mono for the raspy mouths of jew and threadfin? How long? Attach with double uni knot? 

Would love to get a jew,  only got one as tuna by catch before so I don't really count it. 

Have you tried lighter for bream and the smaller species? I've found by using 6lb I'd get a lot more bites. At least you've got a bit of insurance if something bigger latches on with 14lb. 

Pm me your address and I can send you some 3lb leader and a couple of bream lures I no longer use if you like. 

Good point about keeping the jetty clean if it's multi purpose!! I think the ones I'm referring to must be fishing specific. 

12 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

Mate that's awesome! Is the 80lb mono for the raspy mouths of jew and threadfin? How long? Attach with double uni knot? 

Would love to get a jew,  only got one as tuna by catch before so I don't really count it. 

Have you tried lighter for bream and the smaller species? I've found by using 6lb I'd get a lot more bites. At least you've got a bit of insurance if something bigger latches on with 14lb. 

Pm me your address and I can send you some 3lb leader and a couple of bream lures I no longer use if you like. 

Good point about keeping the jetty clean if it's multi purpose!! I think the ones I'm referring to must be fishing specific. 

Morning samsteele115

I use the 80lb because of their mouths, and also so if I hook a small bully I can land it without being bitten off. I think it's far too fresh for there to be jewies at the moment, but I've read a report of someone catching soapies this far up (that was in the Millennium drought though). Currently, I'm just using a blood knot on it. It is about 60cm-1m, depending on how I tie it. You want enough trace for your livie to swim around. 

I've only caught one jew as well, and it wasn't even legal (52cm). A really big river jew would be a true trophy fish. I know someone who's caught a 1m+ at Dutton Park, which isn't the furthest away from me...

I have one line right up in structure, and especially when chasing cod, which fight dirty, any lighter and I wouldn't be landing them. On the line I catch perch on, it is a bit of overkill, but there's quite a few snags so if I did hook onto something OK it's good to have some backup. There's some spots I'd love to explore with lures, so if you're fine with sending me some, that'd be great! Would you mind sending it to our P.O box? I'll send a PM now 🙂  

12 hours ago, GregOug said:

All the jetties I used to fish on had dried blood, scales and pieces of old bait on them. I wouldn’t worry too much about cleaning them Hamish. I don’t think the council is going to close them down if they get a letter about signs of fishing activity on a jetty designed for fishing.

cheers

Greg

Hey GregOug

Yep, the reason I clean this one is because it's not just for fishing but more so for boats, kayaks, and a lot of families spend time on there. Like samsteele115 said, it's good to keep multi-purpose jetties clean, or in my opinion, any public ones for that matter (that you can help, i.e. try to be tidy when fishing off them). 

Cheers Hamish

3 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Morning samsteele115

I use the 80lb because of their mouths, and also so if I hook a small bully I can land it without being bitten off. I think it's far too fresh for there to be jewies at the moment, but I've read a report of someone catching soapies this far up (that was in the Millennium drought though). Currently, I'm just using a blood knot on it. It is about 60cm-1m, depending on how I tie it. You want enough trace for your livie to swim around. 

I've only caught one jew as well, and it wasn't even legal (52cm). A really big river jew would be a true trophy fish. I know someone who's caught a 1m+ at Dutton Park, which isn't the furthest away from me...

I have one line right up in structure, and especially when chasing cod, which fight dirty, any lighter and I wouldn't be landing them. On the line I catch perch on, it is a bit of overkill, but there's quite a few snags so if I did hook onto something OK it's good to have some backup. There's some spots I'd love to explore with lures, so if you're fine with sending me some, that'd be great! Would you mind sending it to our P.O box? I'll send a PM now 🙂  

Hey GregOug

Yep, the reason I clean this one is because it's not just for fishing but more so for boats, kayaks, and a lot of families spend time on there. Like samsteele115 said, it's good to keep multi-purpose jetties clean, or in my opinion, any public ones for that matter (that you can help, i.e. try to be tidy when fishing off them). 

Cheers Hamish

Ah. Okay. Understand.

7 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Nice one mate. Did you eat em or catch and release? 

Thanks Drop Bear, I normally release everything I catch. The water quality is the only reason. Oh, and the reason I haven't tried the prawn recipe you gave me is because I haven't caught enough!!! 😉 Lol

Cheers Hamish

2 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Thanks Drop Bear, I normally release everything I catch. The water quality is the only reason. Oh, and the reason I haven't tried the prawn recipe you gave me is because I haven't caught enough!!! 😉 Lol

Cheers Hamish

They will be back. you will start to get the small ones around October or November and the bigger ones come in around March. 

27 minutes ago, ellicat said:

How did you arrive at 12% ? haha

Bugger you got crook but at least you had two good tussles. 😉

Hey ellicat

Thanks for that, haha, I didn't want to give it ten percent, didn't want to give it eleven, and it was the first even number after ten. I have a weird way of thinking 😕.Lol!

18 minutes ago, GregOug said:

Great report Hamish. You certainly put effort into your reports as well as your fishing.

Thanks GregOug, I just hope one of my reports gives me something good to report about!

Cheers Hamish