Kat

Hi Guys (and girls?

I still have trouble with some of the fishing lingo/terminology when reading posts or online articles etc.  Some help please - firstly tides - quote from article:

"Fish the tides
The more productive times are the first half of the run-in and the second half of the run out tides"

If high tide was at 11am today what times would I fish if I took the above advice?

Think of it as looking from the shore line in a creek. 

Tide runs in, because water runs. (You left the tap running) to high tide. 

Tides runs out to low tide. 

Bottom of the tide is when its dead low in the lull between the turn back to the run in. 

Top of the tide is when its at its highest in the lull before the turn to the run out. 

6 minutes ago, Junky said:

Think of it as looking from the shore line in a creek. 

Tide runs in, because water runs. (You left the tap running) to high tide. 

Tides runs out to low tide. 

Bottom of the tide is when its dead low in the lull between the turn back to the run in. 

Top of the tide is when its at its highest in the lull before the turn to the run out. 

How long is the "lull"?  

12 minutes ago, Kat said:

How long is the "lull"?  

Good question.

In essence....very short...2 minutes maybe. I don't know for sure but the time it takes for the turn to happen is very short. 

While the water may look still for 10 to 15min or so, the actual lull would only be very short lived. 

Check this web site out. You can even get into tidal coefficients etc. 

It gets very in depth but also explains a lot too. 

Tides for fishing

Hey Kat

Yep, what Angry51 said is correct - 6 hours per tide cycle, so the first half would be from the low tide to half way up the high tide, then the second half would be half way up the tide cycle to the full tide.

A lull tide/slack/ebb (lots of names) can often be a good time to fish, and it will have no run.

Cheers Hamish

4 hours ago, Junky said:

Good question.

In essence....very short...2 minutes maybe. I don't know for sure but the time it takes for the turn to happen is very short. 

While the water may look still for 10 to 15min or so, the actual lull would only be very short lived. 

Check this web site out. You can even get into tidal coefficients etc. 

It gets very in depth but also explains a lot too. 

Tides for fishing

Wow I have actually used this site for weeks but didnt know there was a help section - thanks.  More reading to do!

Cheers Kat

On 06/10/2020 at 6:54 PM, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Kat

Yep, what Angry51 said is correct - 6 hours per tide cycle, so the first half would be from the low tide to half way up the high tide, then the second half would be half way up the tide cycle to the full tide.

A lull tide/slack/ebb (lots of names) can often be a good time to fish, and it will have no run.

Cheers Hamish

Another thing that may help Kat, is the rule of twelfths. It basically allows you to work out how much of the tide has already come in or gone out since the last high or low before the current one. The tide is quickest in the middle part of the cycle. All you need to remember is 1/12th comes in (or goes out) in the first hour, 2/12ths in the second hour, 3/12ths in both the third and fourth hours, 2/12ths in the fifth hour and 1/12th in the sixth hour.

Clear as mud?

That'll be the tide stirring things up.

On 07/10/2020 at 4:55 PM, Kat said:

What is terminal tackle?

Yep, like said above Kat, terminal tackle is your leader, hook, sinker, etc.

10 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

So why do we get 2 tides per day when there is only one moon? 

I think I am learning about tis in my Science unit this term so will hopefully find out 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

11 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

So why do we get 2 tides per day when there is only one moon? 

Because there are 2 tidal bulges: the one directly below the moon and one on the opposite side of the earth. So, if you drew a line from the moon to the earth and carried it through the centre to the other side of the earth, both places where the line crosses the earth surface will experience high tide because of the gravitational pull of the moon. Hope that makes sense.

12 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Because there are 2 tidal bulges: the one directly below the moon and one on the opposite side of the earth. So, if you drew a line from the moon to the earth and carried it through the centre to the other side of the earth, both places where the line crosses the earth surface will experience high tide because of the gravitational pull of the moon. Hope that makes sense.

Yep but why is there 2 tidal bulges when there is only one moon? 

8 hours ago, Ed. said:

It's not exactly 2 tides a day, I think it is about approx 13 hours between, that's why every day the high/low tide is at a different time.

Yep its on average about 6 and 1/4 from high to low or low to high. This is because it takes 28 days for the moon to orbit the earth. My confusion is that if we only have 1 moon why do we have 2 tides per day? 

Pick a location of the earth. Lets say cleveland.

One tide is because of the gravitational pull of the moon. That's obvious. 

The second tide is when the moon is on opposite side of the earth to Cleveland. 

Because the moon spins around the earth it creates a centrifugal force on the earth. This force is strongest on the earth surface at the opposite side to where the moon is.

That centrifugal force creates the second tide of the day. 

1 hour ago, Junky said:

Pick a location of the earth. Lets say cleveland.

One tide is because of the gravitational pull of the moon. That's obvious. 

The second tide is when the moon is on opposite side of the earth to Cleveland. 

Because the moon spins around the earth it creates a centrifugal force on the earth. This force is strongest on the earth surface at the opposite side to where the moon is.

That centrifugal force creates the second tide of the day. 

Best answer I have had yet.