Beach Worming Gc Main Beach Or? Help

Kat

Hi all.  I have tried beach worming once.  Got to the stage where I can find the worms and that is it.  I have been saving up my stinky bait, have watched numerous videos, identified that i need a different bait for the worms to latch onto (was using yabbie), probably pippi or pilchard?  Want some kind soul to volunteer to meet me on the GC somewhere (or Brisbane) and help me learn how to catch them.  At the moment I have no income and can't afford to buy them.  Would also be open to someone willing to show me how to get cribb island worms.  I know you guys are all legends - someone must be able to help. I am sick of using servo squid.

Cheers Kat

Edited by Kat

5 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Cribb Island worms/Blood worms are found in the mud and you have to dig for them. On the beach you get sand worms/beach worms. I can't impart any knowhow as I have tried and am hopeless. Hopefully a master at it comes along to help you.

I am one of the most determined people I know.  I WILL learn how to catch beach worms, I will learn how to catch beach worms! Lol.  I think it is gonna be tricky but... I Will!  I know you have to dig up cribb island worms but how and where..... I presume most fishos just buy them.  I bought them once $16 plus and caught SFA!

Cheers Kat

Edited by Kat
Mistake

7 minutes ago, Kat said:

I am one of the most determined people I know.  I WILL learn how to catch beach worms, I will learn how to catch beach worms! Lol.  I think it is gonna be tricky but... I Will!  I know you have to dig up cribb island worms but how and where..... I presume most fishos just buy them.  I bought them once $16 plus and caught SFA!

Cheers Kat

I don't know where but you could Google Cribb Island to find out where it was. That may help.

It's too tough a looking task for this soft bloke so I save up and every 2 years or so I splurge and buy some to take fishing. Incredibly expensive but they stay on the hook better than yabbies. Shared cost is the way to go with them though.

I have seen a bloke digging up worms on the northern side of the Lota mud flats before, even from a distance it looked like it wreaked of effort, he might have been licensed and harvesting them commercially though?, I’d persist with trying to extract them off the beach before resorting to a pitch fork in the mud.

ive tried worming before and this is how i do it.

Drag that stinky bag like 5 meters

just sneak up to them and pinch their head and pull them out

low success rate for inexperience people like me

I didn't know you dug for them

10 hours ago, ellicat said:

Even I would prefer pumping yabbies (if I could) than digging for worms.

I agree with ellicat, you can get a whole bucket a yabbies and they make good bait

16 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

I'm happy to show you how to catch beach worms. Its not hard when you get the knack but some days they just don't wanna play. 

We should do a social camping trip to Moreton? 

A social camping trip to Moreton sounds great.  Never been camping in Australia before.  

8 minutes ago, Ob20 said:

ive tried worming before and this is how i do it.

Drag that stinky bag like 5 meters

I didn't know you dug for them

I agree with ellicat, you can get a whole bucket a yabbies and they make good bait

Already pump yabbies.  Off to pump some now actually 🙂

8 minutes ago, Ob20 said:

haha yep its sort of like that. 

The trick is to not grab at them.

you slowly put your fingers either side of them and when they start to arch their backs you calmly grab them and pull them out. Its all about not being like a whiting who would aggressively grab them. Be more like the sand that gently squeezes them. 

4 hours ago, Junky said:

Where you from kat? Across the ditch? 

We have a saying in Australia when camping. 

Watch out for drop bears. 

They are just misunderstood. When was the last time you saw on the news that a Drop Bear had caused any harm? 

Sure some of my cousins can be overly amorous at times but its normally just a misunderstanding. 

20 hours ago, ellicat said:

mud and you have to dig for them. On the beach you get sand worms/beach worms. I can't impart any knowhow as I have tried and am hop

most beach in GC hold beach worm. For beginner i suggest using a plier, BCF has it for $15. My success rate increases a lot when using pliers, but you do have to dig down and grab the worm with your hands as well. 

Patience is the key, as well as don't try to be quicker than the worm, coz you will lose every time, gentle grab onto it when it arches up, then slowly pull it up in one go. Practices more you will get them, try a day with low tide with small swell.

Hello Kat

When beach worming the trick is supposed to be patience. 

You will have your sack full of fish and stuff that smells - this will attract the worms. You will need a little bit of something too, like a pilchard, so you can keep the worm up while you grab it. You can use pliers but I think both ways work.

You then pull the worm up, try not to yank it or it may snap... And then, Hey Presto, you're done (or should be but I think it's WAYYYY harder than this). 

Cheers Hamish

P.S. I would be more inclined to dig in the mud but not everyone likes mud. Lol. 

I am pretty hopeless at beach worming - just can’t resist snatching at the worm when he pops his head out, or I get in the right position and just about to nail one of the slippery little critters when a wave washes away any hope. I have a mate who is brilliant at worming. I have seen him drag 3 out at the same time. He uses either a pippi or a piece of hard smelly cheese as the hand held bait. He reckons pillies are too soft and that worms don’t stay up as long as they do with the tougher baits. Coincidentally I was chatting with one of the guys that digs the mud worms professionally and he assured me that it wasn’t as hard as it looks. I have never tried it personally.

12 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

I am pretty hopeless at beach worming - just can’t resist snatching at the worm when he pops his head out, or I get in the right position and just about to nail one of the slippery little critters when a wave washes away any hope. I have a mate who is brilliant at worming. I have seen him drag 3 out at the same time. He uses either a pippi or a piece of hard smelly cheese as the hand held bait. He reckons pillies are too soft and that worms don’t stay up as long as they do with the tougher baits. Coincidentally I was chatting with one of the guys that digs the mud worms professionally and he assured me that it wasn’t as hard as it looks. I have never tried it personally.

Would he let us go out with him one day and give him a hand? I would love to see how it's done. I have had a few goes with limited success.