Hinze Western Arm 11/10/20

rayke1938

13 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Nice one mate. That eel is a great eating size. 

Have you tried eating fresh water Eels @Drop Bear? When I was in my twenties I went eel fishing with a couple of Dutch mates who were hankering for a home style treat. We cooked them every which way (including smoked) and they just tasted like dog vomit. Even soaked them in milk overnight on a couple of occasions. No doubt your culinary skills are far better than mine but just wondering how you would cook them?

Yep nothing wrong with smoked eel. We've eaten a bit of it in NZ when visiting rellies and goes very well in a white sauce on toast/croutons. Dad also smoked up a big one we caught on our uncle & aunties property in the Gold Coast hinterland when we were kids. I can't recall you we then ate it (plain, white sauce, etc) but I do recall Dad giving some to Grandma (his mum) to try without telling her what it was. When she remarked how yummy it was and asked what type of 'fish' it was, Dad, being the larrikin he is, replied 'that, oh it's just a smelly, slimy eel the boys caught down in the creek mum' ...... she wasn't impressed!!!!  😝

On 12/10/2020 at 10:51 AM, Old Scaley said:

Have you tried eating fresh water Eels @Drop Bear? When I was in my twenties I went eel fishing with a couple of Dutch mates who were hankering for a home style treat. We cooked them every which way (including smoked) and they just tasted like dog vomit. Even soaked them in milk overnight on a couple of occasions. No doubt your culinary skills are far better than mine but just wondering how you would cook them?

I have cooked them a few times but had them in Japanese restaurants loads of times. Ell was my sons favourite meal at the Japanese restaurant.  

I have simply dispatched them and cooked them in the coals. Admittedly we were all hungry but they were delicious. White flesh and sweet meat.

I have done them Japanese BBQ style (Unagi). Marinate them in sweet and savoury sauce; Soy, Mirin, sugar and sake. Seriously delicious but yes lots of prep. The rest of the world like them but Aussies love to hate them. They are just so slimy and ikky that I don't blame anyone from being put off. They can be annoying to deal with compared to a Red Emperor fillet they are just plain hard work so I understand the reluctance to work with them and I don't often eat them as it is a pain to deal with them. 

If you want a soft entry to eel go to a GOOD Japanese restaurant and have BBQ eel (Unagi Donburi). At least you will see the potential. 

19 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Yep nothing wrong with smoked eel. We've eaten a bit of it in NZ when visiting rellies and goes very well in a white sauce on toast/croutons. Dad also smoked up a big one we caught on our uncle & aunties property in the Gold Coast hinterland when we were kids. I can't recall you we then ate it (plain, white sauce, etc) but I do recall Dad giving some to Grandma (his mum) to try without telling her what it was. When she remarked how yummy it was and asked what type of 'fish' it was, Dad, being the larrikin he is, replied 'that, oh it's just a smelly, slimy eel the boys caught down in the creek mum' ...... she wasn't impressed!!!!  😝

Please remember this when I spruik normally maligned fare.... 

Disgusted No Good GIF by britbox

43 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

I have cooked them a few times but had them in Japanese restaurants loads of times. Ell was my sons favourite meal at the Japanese restaurant.  

I have simply dispatched them and cooked them in the coals. Admittedly we were all hungry but they were delicious. White flesh and sweet meat.

I have done them Japanese BBQ style (Unagi). Marinate them in sweet and savoury sauce; Soy, Mirin, sugar and sake. Seriously delicious but yes lots of prep. The rest of the world like them but Aussies love to hate them. They are just so slimy and ikky that I don't blame anyone from being put off. They can be annoying to deal with compared to a Red Emperor fillet they are just plain hard work so I understand the reluctance to work with them and I don't often eat them as it is a pain to deal with them. 

If you want a soft entry to eel go to a GOOD Japanese restaurant and have BBQ eel (Unagi Donburi). At least you will see the potential. 

Thanks Robbie. I have had delicious smoked eel in Holland, chargrilled eel and lemongrass in Vietnam and good eel sushi here, so eating eel is no problem for me. I am a bit older and wiser than I was last time I tried to cook a self caught one, but wondered if the type of eel we get here is different or was it just that I am a crap cook.

45 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Thanks Robbie. I have had delicious smoked eel in Holland, chargrilled eel and lemongrass in Vietnam and good eel sushi here, so eating eel is no problem for me. I am a bit older and wiser than I was last time I tried to cook a self caught one, but wondered if the type of eel we get here is different or was it just that I am a crap cook.

Hi Steve

The only type of eel I have heard about being eaten is the normal freshwater eel (so Southern Shortfin, Longfin, etc).

I think as long as they're not pike they should be alright but have never tried so not 100% sure.

Cheers Hamish

10 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

It can also depend where you caught it. A bass out of a stinky dam tastes like poop but one from clean water is delicious. Same goes for loads of fish including Barra that need to be put in salt water before they go to market.

I was told that the Japanese don't prefer the eels we get up here in QLD as they are too big. I don't have a source or much info to back that up sorry.