Soon To Be Scorching!

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Hi all

It is warming up, and I know Summer is still quite a while away (well not really - a month and a half!), which is a bit scary seeing as though 2020 has gone that quickly! 

My question is now, what will you be targeting over this Summer. Some mackerel, big pelagics, or maybe some big estuary dwellers? 

I'll be going for the following - 

- Threadfin Salmon... It would be very frustrating if I couldn't get one of these fellas all Summer!

- Bull Sharks.... I am going to try for a larger one than 80cm for sure and maybe try and eat one out of the river (maybe)

- Cod.... A nice big river cod would be a good fish, and very possible as it seems these bite better in warmer months

- Mangrove jack.... I will try for some river jacks with live baits on a overcast arvo. 🙂 

- Aussie Bass... My dad and I will take the yak to the Upper Brisbane because it is warming up and we can swim while we fish, Lol. 

... And of course I will be flicking the odd plastic about for a flathead, or maybe a breambo. I just hope I can manage some good fish.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

P.S. I didn't really know what topic this could go in as most are a bit too specific. 

4 minutes ago, Kat said:

Mmmm.  I will have to do some research and figure out what I will target this summer.  I am not used to the heat here yet and did find it nice and refreshing getting in the water with the net this morning!

Kat

Maybe a Mangrove Jack in your area Kat? There are lots of them on the Gold Coast 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi all

It is warming up, and I know Summer is still quite a while away (well not really - a month and a half!), which is a bit scary seeing as though 2020 has gone that quickly! 

My question is now, what will you be targeting over this Summer. Some mackerel, big pelagics, or maybe some big estuary dwellers? 

I'll be going for the following - 

- Threadfin Salmon... It would be very frustrating if I couldn't get one of these fellas all Summer!

- Bull Sharks.... I am going to try for a larger one than 80cm for sure and maybe try and eat one out of the river (maybe)

- Cod.... A nice big river cod would be a good fish, and very possible as it seems these bite better in warmer months

- Mangrove jack.... I will try for some river jacks with live baits on a overcast arvo. 🙂 

- Aussie Bass... My dad and I will take the yak to the Upper Brisbane because it is warming up and we can swim while we fish, Lol. 

... And of course I will be flicking the odd plastic about for a flathead, or maybe a breambo. I just hope I can manage some good fish.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

P.S. I didn't really know what topic this could go in as most are a bit too specific. 

Nice list Hamish ,  I'm hanging to chase longtails on the light gear also jew  , jacks and a couple trips to Hervey bay to knock over some coral trout hopefully I was thinking lake Awonga for barra but my youngest daughter got chased by a brown so she's not so keen on Awonga anymore

2 minutes ago, Sneaky1 said:

Nice list Hamish ,  I'm hanging to chase longtails on the light gear also jew  , jacks and a couple trips to Hervey bay to knock over some coral trout hopefully I was thinking lake Awonga for barra but my youngest daughter got chased by a brown so she's not so keen on Awonga anymore

Hi Sneaky

Some longtails on the light gear would be awesome. Some excellent fights will be had with you.

A big river jewie is something I have wanted to catch for ages (but as far as I know there are not many mulloway coming up to where I normally fish unless a severe drought is had). 

I'll be excited to hear about any trips you do to Hervey Bay or Awoonga (I would be a bit scared if I got chased by a brown too. May just need to make a habit of carrying around the donga when walking through long grass 😉)

Cheers Hamish

2 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Sneaky

Some longtails on the light gear would be awesome. Some excellent fights will be had with you.

A big river jewie is something I have wanted to catch for ages (but as far as I know there are not many mulloway coming up to where I normally fish unless a severe drought is had). 

I'll be excited to hear about any trips you do to Hervey Bay or Awoonga (I would be a bit scared if I got chased by a brown too. May just need to make a habit of carrying around the donga when walking through long grass 😉)

Cheers Hamish

Was sposed to wag work today and put the boat in but the truck broke down when I got home from Rocky yesterday so I've been stuck under that for the last 2 days but she's fixed now so I might play with some fatties tomorrow

I will be home about in week so around from in a weeks time and summer I will be

Targeting flathead on light bream gear as I do nothing out of usual 

targeting bream on bread nothing out of usual once again 

using bigger lures for bigger flathead .3.2 inch daiwa baitjunkies and vibes 

might try to get some bream and flathead on hardbodies last summer I got a few on hardbodies but I rarely use them 

I don’t really know what else to do my local area only has . Bream flathead baitfish like herring and small tailor eels and bull sharks and the extremely rare jewfish Aussie bass and trevally but sometimes I go to the coast where their is bigger bream and a whole host of other speices like trevally blackfish jewfish tailor you name it. So yeah I’m all ears for any other types of fishing I can do over the summer my usual methods for my local spot include

bream and flathead on plastics

flathead on vibes

baitfish on sabiki rigs 

and bream on bread

11 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

I will be home about in week so around from in a weeks time and summer I will be

might try to get some bream and flathead on hardbodies last summer I got a few on hardbodies but I rarely use them 

I don’t really know what else to do my local area only has . Bream flathead baitfish like herring and small tailor eels and bull sharks and the extremely rare jewfish Aussie bass and trevally but sometimes I go to the coast where their is bigger bream and a whole host of other speices like trevally blackfish jewfish tailor you name it. So yeah I’m all ears for any other types of fishing I can do over the summer my usual methods for my local spot include

flathead on vibes

baitfish on sabiki rigs 

and bream on bread

Are you landbased bro ?

2 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Yes i am I rarely fish from a boat maybe 3 or 4 times a year. So yes I am landbased

If your ever out bribie on a weekend give me a yell I'll make sure there's a spare seat in the tinny

9 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

flathead on vibes

baitfish on sabiki rigs 

and bream on bread

Hey BwB

Good luck chasing your normal species, I hope you have some good success. A shark is certainly a very doable thing landbased.

Do you like to eat crabs? They normally go well in the warmer months , and it is a lot cheaper catching them then buying them (they have very expensive prices at the markets). 

Cheers Hamish 🙂  

8 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I'd like to nail some decent grass sweetlip and cod around the bay islands and hopefully try the river mouth area a few times for threadies, haven't fished the river for a long time.

Hey KM

A big threadie would sure be good 🙂. And I'm sure everyone who eats any cod/sweetlip would take a liking to it straight away!

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

9 hours ago, Kat said:

Hi

Haven't researched my target fish yet but I would definitely be keen to do some night time fishing.  And would like to catch a few squid for Calamari.  Not sure if summer is good for squid though.

Cheers Kat

That time I went Cooktown I seen a massive squid and casted near it I had a Philchard on and the squid started chewing on it for like ages I waited for it to fully swallow it but it just didn’t anyway I hooked it like 3 different times that night and every time I would go to lift it up it would pull the hooks it was very sad because I wanted to land that squid so bad

Yup im (hopefully) getting a couple months off for christmas so will be targeting anything that swims. 

My mates just bought a new boat so me and him are planning some offshore trips. Him in his 6m platey and me in the wasp. I would love to hit up my old stomping grounds off south straddie as well. 

So hopefully some big fish and reports to come. 

7 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Yup im (hopefully) getting a couple months off for christmas so will be targeting anything that swims. 

My mates just bought a new boat so me and him are planning some offshore trips. Him in his 6m platey and me in the wasp. I would love to hit up my old stomping grounds off south straddie as well. 

So hopefully some big fish and reports to come. 

Hey Nirvana

It'll be good if you can get some holidays - anything that swims is a broad goal 🙂 

Good luck on the offshore trips.

Cheers Hamish