Bulimba Creek Bass Fishing

JosephFarley

Hi all, I'm looking for some tips for targeting some bass in the Bulimba creek area. I have done tonnes in the way of bait fishing but absolutely nothing in the way of lure fishing so I will need some tips for when I head out on my kayak. Also, does anyone know any good places around Brisbane to get a first fish on a lure. Thanks heaps

10 hours ago, JosephFarley said:

Hi all, I'm looking for some tips for targeting some bass in the Bulimba creek area. I have done tonnes in the way of bait fishing but absolutely nothing in the way of lure fishing so I will need some tips for when I head out on my kayak. Also, does anyone know any good places around Brisbane to get a first fish on a lure. Thanks heaps

Hey Joseph, 

Welcome to the forum. 

Lure fishing can be pretty tough in Brisbane. There is a lot of pressure but if you keep at it you will persist. 

If you are after Bass on lure @Dinodadog is your best bet. He regularly catches them, mostly in North Pine Dam. Do a search for his posts and ask questions on his posts. 

If you want flatheads on lures, a great place to start is the shallow flats around Jacobs Well. 

Mackerel can be caught on lures around the mouth of BNE river with fast moving slugs. Also try wellington point and to the north of there. 

Jewfish and threadfin salmon can be caught around the port of Brisbane on soft vibes. 

Good luck and keep at it. 

13 hours ago, JosephFarley said:

G'day Joseph

I would assume using small spinnerbaits, hard vibes, and soft plastics would get you some results. Try around the snags early morning and late afternoon. You could try for some fish on the surface, but remember the higher the sun goes the lower the fish go (making it more suitable to use a surface lure at dawn/dusk and bottom lures in midday/sun hours). 

Some good spots could be around the Port of Brisbane (I've only been out there once on the yak and it could get a bit hairy so I wouldn't advise that unless it's calm), or maybe Boggy, Breakfast, Norman, and Lota Creek (where you could very well pick up a flathead, whiting, cod, or bream fishing sand flats, yabby banks, and different snags). If you ever go up or down to the GC or SC you could pick up a mangrove jack fishing around structure in the canals.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Mate, anyone that has figured out bass in Bulimba creek will be guarding that info pretty tightly. I don't fancy your chances of getting too much detailed help with that particular request.

There were a couple guys who had done it way back in the day on AFO but I don't think they ever posted about it. Can't remember his username but RyanYoung comes into mind as one of the guys. He was a madman for getting into the thickets and fishing in spots that the average person wouldn't attempt to even get into.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey guys i know this is probably dead but oh well… I am a local fisherman to bulimba creek and have managed to dial in the bass. I’m not gonna be sharing much if any info about it but I can assure you they are in this system. I’ve managed three so far in the high thirty’s with two bust offs which were undoubtedly from bass. I can’t prove they were from bulimba but you can see photos from my Instagram @20cmbream. Just thought I should share.

@Jake Orthman, That's good to hear. I used to fish it from Wecker Road to Mt Gravatt Capalaba Road 40+ years ago and managed to get some eel tail catties and, on tiny hooks, some rainbows that went straight to the fish tank. Fished with garden worms. Never considered bass would be in there and they probably weren't until the stocking programs gave them a kick along.

11 hours ago, Jake Orthman said:

Hey guys i know this is probably dead but oh well… I am a local fisherman to bulimba creek and have managed to dial in the bass. I’m not gonna be sharing much if any info about it but I can assure you they are in this system. I’ve managed three so far in the high thirty’s with two bust offs which were undoubtedly from bass. I can’t prove they were from bulimba but you can see photos from my Instagram @20cmbream. Just thought I should share.

Welcome to the forum Jake, well done on the bass. I'd imagine there'd be a few other creeks holding them, that run into the river.

Cheers Hamish

15 hours ago, ellicat said:

@Jake Orthman, That's good to hear. I used to fish it from Wecker Road to Mt Gravatt Capalaba Road 40+ years ago and managed to get some eel tail catties and, on tiny hooks, some rainbows that went straight to the fish tank. Fished with garden worms. Never considered bass would be in there and they probably weren't until the stocking programs gave them a kick along.

Wecker Rd hey - sounds like I should be taking a fishing rod to work ........... 🤔. I only hopped over the fence for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was surprised at how 'rainforesty' it is.